Use waypoints?

DarkStar79

If you have waypoints made in the mission editor, they will show up on the map, with a line connecting them.

It also includes the heading, distance and route time (based on a 250km/h ground-speed).

Though personally, I still think the best option would be to be able to make user marks on the map (like a drawing tool) and also facilitate adding custom images to the map, maybe having a library we can choose from and select in flight - all we have to do is calibrate our own position using the existing controls.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 6

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

If you make the waypoints in mission editor it shows up on the moving map. Just hope the implement some way for us who only play multiplayer to somehow make waypoints to show up on the moving map.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 2:39 PM, DarkStar79 said:

If you make the waypoints in mission editor it shows up on the moving map. Just hope the implement some way for us who only play multiplayer to somehow make waypoints to show up on the moving map.

Again, personally, it would be much better if we could put custom images in, so long as they're the correct size and scale there won't be an issues.

You could also mark landmarks and expected targets, as well as friendly forces.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Again, personally, it would be much better if we could put custom images in, so long as they're the correct size and scale there won't be an issues.

You could also mark landmarks and expected targets, as well as friendly forces.

I don’t know what server you play on, I only play on hardcore realistic servers with no F10 maps or anything to help you. So we have to have a way to make a mark point somehow near the targets. We can’t see anything on the F10 map. So your suggestion wouldn’t work for me.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:57 PM, DarkStar79 said:

I don’t know what server you play on, I only play on hardcore realistic servers with no F10 maps or anything to help you. So we have to have a way to make a mark point somehow near the targets. We can’t see anything on the F10 map. So your suggestion wouldn’t work for me.

I don't play on MP at all 🙂

Though I doubt pilots are going to be marking targets on the map in mid flight. But a possible solution would be an ability to draw on the map, based on what you see, no F10 map required.

So you could draw on mark points and maybe save the map as an annotated image.

Or maybe it could be done during the briefing.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

System:

• 9 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, Northstar98 said:

Though I doubt pilots are going to be marking targets on the map in mid flight. But a possible solution would be an ability to draw on the map, based on what you see, no F10 map required.

You underestimate TOO...

FW190A8|FW190D9|F14|F15C|F18|A-10C|AV8B|BS2|UH1H|Mi8|Gazelle|Persian Gulf|Normandie|Eurofighter Typhoon

On 6/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, Northstar98 said:

If you have waypoints made in the mission editor, they will show up on the map, with a line connecting them.

in other words, a kind of "DTC". would be cool if you could manage it that way too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brockn said:

You underestimate TOO...

Not sure how that relates to the Hind...

But even so, wouldn't targeting pods or even AG RADARs be more useful for TOO? The F10 map markers are more used as a workaround owing to the lack of in-game DTC functionality.

And in-game mission planning and DTC (of-sorts) would be useful for the OP here.

10 hours ago, Hobel said:

in other words, a kind of "DTC". would be cool if you could manage it that way too

Eh?

No, if you make a load of waypoints in the ME, you will see the waypoints marked on the map, connected by lines, it's not the best and it would be good to make marks on the map in real time, but that's the subject for another thread.

Edited by Northstar98

System:

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, formaggio said:

i feel we should be able to add point to the map in game, as it is a paper map. Why couldnt i just take it out draw on it with a pencil and put it back?

Yes. It would be nice to have ME drawings appear on the map or have access to F10 drawings in game that appear on the map. They already did a good job with how ME waypoints are shown on the map  

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Solutions I'd like to see (just throwing ideas):

- F10 map markers with certain syntax that will turn into markings/waypoints on helicopter's map

- Ability for the pilot to use something like a white board marker to mark/scribble on the map and be able to also erase it 🙂 or at least just put a point/erase it

If it was exposed to lua scripts, I could easily throw together something that will use F10 markers and add them to the helo map, but exposing that would also open a can of worms I guess.

Custom images would be very welcome, but it isn't the end all. If you want to be able to mark dynamic destinations/targets in a mission post spawn, regardless it being multi or singleplayer for example, it wouldn't be helpful with that.

10 hours ago, badger7966 said:

How do you find target areas if you dont have any waypoints set up....like online ?

To be fair, there still would be ways depending on how the mission is built/work. I don't really do public servers myself, well maybe once every 3-4 years or so 😛 so don't exactly know how they work these days. But I do build missions with intention to fly with buddies, and they do sometimes include targets at unknown places etc. There can be a human controller giving directions potentially for example, and that would be in line with capabilities of the platform. Or the mission builder can put ADF stations you can tune to be able to navigate to known target areas, or when a target pops up/or detected by recon units mission can display a message giving a bearing/distance from a known point, and you can use doppler system or dead recknoning from that point to get there etc. At least that's how I'd do it if I was making a mission (well that's a script idea to add to my list now).

After all, we need to remember that Mi-24 doesn't have an INS/coordinate based navigation option on board. Nor anything to precisely mark a point from its targeting system realistically. So ideally solution should be in line with its capabilities, like using bearing/distance from a known landmark etc.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

On 6/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, DarkStar79 said:

I concur.  I prefer the hardcore multiplayer experience as it gives DCS flavor and spice that I need.  It would be very nice if we had a way make rudimentary points and lines on the multiplayer full realism F10 map that would carry over to stuff such as the Hind moving map, ABRIS, Apache TSD, Viper HSD or other various jet nav maps.

Edited by Mr_Blastman

Alternatively, use the DISS for a makeshift one-waypoint navigation system...

I actually don't know what this system is used for IRL. Picture attached.

image.png

Edited by Sarix

R7-4800H @ 8x 2.9GHz + (8+16)GB DDR4? RAM + GTX 1660Ti.

Gripen needs to be a thing.

5 hours ago, Sarix said:

image.png

That’s exactly what it’s used for, as a single waypoint. Combined with the paper map you do pretty well. When you give the Mi-24P waypoints in the editor and they show in the map it makes it really easy to see your location, since they use the same info they always agree. 

Whixh also makes using route mode nice with doppler nav, becuase if you fly route mode perfectly on same course of doppler, any drift is canceled out and it becomes very precise. 

One trick I do if I don’t have a waypoint in mind, is to just turn it on at its default heading off 000. Then any amount of up/down tells you how far you are from take off in north/south, and the left/right field shows you your movement west/east after takeoff.

Especially now that we have magnetic deviation compensation, navigating with it is easier then before. Just want to draw on the map. Maybe use a thinner marker then the one you get with ME waypoints also🤣

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

12 hours ago, Sarix said:

image.png

I use it a lot when playing at the RotorHeads server.

I use the F10 Map ruler to measure the distance and heading to troops, downed pilots or damaged vehicles for example, and set the values at DISS. I know I could just keep looking at the F10 Map or at the Online Map but I like to get on the region and start to search with my eyeballs. This works great, if you keep the helicopter attitude inside the parameters for DISS to work.

On other servers, with F10 icons disabled, I usually keep a 000 HDG and read North/South East/West distances as AeriaGloria said when flying around.

53 minutes ago, Quati said:

I use it a lot when playing at the RotorHeads server.

I use the F10 Map ruler to measure the distance and heading to troops, downed pilots or damaged vehicles for example, and set the values at DISS. I know I could just keep looking at the F10 Map or at the Online Map but I like to get on the region and start to search with my eyeballs. This works great, if you keep the helicopter attitude inside the parameters for DISS to work.

On other servers, with F10 icons disabled, I usually keep a 000 HDG and read North/South East/West distances as AeriaGloria said when flying around.

When I do set the heading yo make a waypoint. I don’t set the waypoint distance and just try to remember it. And as long as it’s the last thing you did with the ruler the heading is saved in the F10 view. 

That way I can use it for the return trip and when the FWD/AFT says 0 km I should be near take off point. If you RTB near the waypoint you can fly the reverse of the heading; or use the left right to figure out how off course you are and just get things to zero. 

I also really like updating the distance with F10 map on long trips. There’s a couple little things you can do to make it more useful. I’m pretty sure in real life they use landmarks to “update” the distance and left/right drift, along with updating paper map

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 10:48 PM, badger7966 said:

So it does work with the Hind ?

Not integrated in cockpit, but as a windows in 2d (you can move it), or as a floating box remaining always in front of you in VR.

So the VR implementation is currently really anoying. I'm trying to do something in my mod to improve it. By the way, I already set the same fix for rotor and reprojection than for the AH64. 

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste