Auto Pilot Yaw, strange behavior.

Clogger

3 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

@Clogger

Mine are spring centered.

I use "rudder trim" to center the sideslip ball, then I engage the Yaw AP.  The physical pedals return to center and the virtual pedals stay where I set them.

To disengage the AP, I can just start from pedals centered without any problem because the yaw is still holding with the "rudder trim."

There is no need to disengage the AP unless you enter combat where you have to make fast maneuvers. You should then release AP and all other trims as well.

Reapply trims as necessary. After the battle and you are RTB, trim pitch, roll and yaw to nominal, then engage the Yaw AP for a smooth fight home.

Make sure to apply Yaw AP when landing, or you will spin out of control when exiting ETL. In short:  set trim first then AP, to exit, turn AP off first then trim as needed.

The one issue I do have though is engaging the trim button. I center my ball and level my vertical rate to 0. When I hit the trim button, my ship

goes into a 10 degree dive. I then have to pull back on the stick to level off again. I might even have to do it 2 or 3 times before it finally levels off. 

This is a known bug and they are supposed to be working on it.   

Thanks for the advise, but I don't like using the "rudder trimer'' option in the special menu (I have experimented on the Hind and other Helos)

Can you clarify how you can apply separate trim to the rudder pedals that isn't tied to cyclic ?? maybe I am missing some thing here ? I thought pressing trim will set both pedals and cyclic ?? Thanks.

Edited by Clogger
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clogger said:

Thanks for the advise, but I don't like using the "rudder trimer'' option in the special menu (I have experimented on the Hind and other Helos)

Can you clarify how you can apply separate trim to the rudder pedals that isn't tied to cyclic ?? maybe I am missing some thing here ? I thought pressing trim will set both pedals and cyclic ?? Thanks.

It will IF you use the rudder trimmer, other wise all you have for trims is pitch and roll.

If you don't want to use the rudder trimmer then you are making it harder on yourself.

You have to stay on the pedals constantly. The AP will jerk when you cancel it because your trimmer isn't there to help.

Pressing trim button to adjust rudder or roll will not affect the cyclic. 

You can make numerous adjustments to the trims one at a time. No need to use the reset button unless you need to.  

With all three trimmers on you can make fine adjustments as you go pressing the trim button each time.

With rudder trimmer on, adjust your pedals and press trim. It will not affect the cyclic.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I still believe that there is a fundamental problem with the AP channels and how they interact with trim in the aircraft. If you are careful you can fly the bird properly (and I am getting much better at it) but it is nothing like the Mi8 where once airborne and in forward flight the helicopter is as smooth as silk and handles turns beautifully. To me this indicates one of three things:

1) The AP\Trim interaction in the Hind is currently incorrect

2) The AP\Trim interaction in the Hind is correct, and requires very different pilot operation to the Hip. 

3) The AP\Trim interaction in the Hind is correct, but a bug exists that does not allow correct application in the sim. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

@LurkerYou are right. Even with all of the stuff I've posted above, it still acts weird from time to time.

Every once in a while the yaw goes all the way left and you spin, even with the AP on.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

19 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

It will IF you use the rudder trimmer, other wise all you have for trims is pitch and roll.

If you don't want to use the rudder trimmer then you are making it harder on yourself.

You have to stay on the pedals constantly. The AP will jerk when you cancel it because your trimmer isn't there to help.

Pressing trim button to adjust rudder or roll will not affect the cyclic. 

You can make numerous adjustments to the trims one at a time. No need to use the reset button unless you need to.  

With all three trimmers on you can make fine adjustments as you go pressing the trim button each time.

With rudder trimmer on, adjust your pedals and press trim. It will not affect the cyclic.

Ok so you are using the same button to set rudder trim and/or cyclic trim, correct ??

Edited by Clogger

SRsfa58.gif    Make small adjustments to level out, Press trim after each adjustment. Do not press reset unless things go screwy and you have to start over. GL&HF

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

1 minute ago, rayrayblues said:

SRsfa58.gif    Make small adjustments to level out, Press trim after each adjustment. Do not press reset unless things go screwy and you have to start over. GL&HF

I know how to use the trim function on the cyclic I am asking if you use the same trim button for both cyclic and rudders.

Yes............

• Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

21 minutes ago, rayrayblues said:

Yes............

Thanks for the info 👍, I will stick to not using the rudder helper option then,  but I can see how your work around can be used to get the pedals centred after being left offset when turning off Yaw AP or taking over from the AI pilot. This is another option for people to experiment with.

Having a separate bind to reset rudder trim to centre IMHO would also help those who like using the rudder helper IMHO. Click button and pedals are now centred and are in line with your real pedals or joystick if it has a yaw axis (with out effecting cyclic trim) adding the extra bind would not effect how anything currently works (which I feel is important). I edited my original post to better describe this possible solution. 

Edited by Clogger

@Clogger  Glad I could help.   HVYapur.png

Edited by rayrayblues
  • Like 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

On 7/5/2021 at 2:05 AM, SunDevilPilot said:

Something is weird with the trail rotor authority.

Great video. Especially when you factor in the comparison with the Mi8 at the end of the video. There is definitely something weird going on here, no wonder we are having problems with flying this thing. 

@NineLine please can you get some developers to look at this? Thank you. 

@BIGNEWY

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• ED Team

Hi, 

we have asked the team to check, we also have some tuning to do with the tail rotor, so please give us some time. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

16 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

we have asked the team to check, we also have some tuning to do with the tail rotor, so please give us some time. 

thanks

@BIGNEWY Are the team looking at the issues as per my OP ? I have edited the OP to clear it all up and added all issues in to one post. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Clogger said:

@BIGNEWY Are the team looking at the issues as per my OP ? I have edited the OP to clear it all up and added all issues in to one post. Thanks.

I've read PilotMi8s post somewhere on the Russian forums that they are aware of the issues with trim and the AP channels. Let me go see if I can find it. 

Here we go, it's in russian so translate at your own peril, but from what I can manage to translate it appears they are aware that trim and AP are currently a little bit borked, that they are aware of how it should work and that they are looking into fixing the errors. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

Yes the team are aware, as usual with early access you will need to be patient while the work is completed. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2