Doppler Drift vs Slip Indicator

nima2014

Hello everyone, 

I just want to have some thoughts of you guys regarding my issue. If I trim

the hind for a coordinated flight regime (black ball within the slip indicator is centered), the doppler drift indicator indicates left or right drift. If I trim the helo in that way that the drift indicator is zero, the slip indicator is left or right of center. There is no wind in this mission. Shouldn’t this be 0 on the doppler indicator and a centered slip indicator?! If not, which instrument to rely on? 

thanks and cheers

There's a tail rotor countering the torque that the main rotor applies to the fuselage and by doing that pulling it sideways.

Generally I'd say you want to be coordinated and correct the heading to compensate for the drift if just for your own comfort but I mean if you have to point your nose at the bad guys....

It’s possible to be flying coordinated with regards to the wind but still have a shifted ground track. That would lead to different readings for the slip ball and the Doppler system.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I tend to navigate old school.

look down the bearing you want to fly, find a landmark, on the bearing. fly to the landmark. 

take another bearing. find a landmark, fly to the landmark.

if you also find the landmarks on the map then you know exactly where you are.

good mission designers should tie waypoints to obvious landmarks. in the age of dead reckoning, without GPS.

so finding the waypoint at the end of your leg should not be a problem.

its the last landmark you use.

you can then reset any drift in the gyros if the doppler says you are off when you are right above the landmark/waypoint.

the doppler is wrong.

this way you can fly co ordinated for trim. and keep your head out of the cockpit, instead of staring at instruments.

and keep drift to a minimum.

us the doppler for checking how well, occasionally.

really its a tool for bad weather, night, or flying over water where there are no landmarks. and you only have a compass to rely on.

this is similar to how the romans built dead straight roads for hundreds of miles using three sticks.

(we are only using 2 sticks (two landmarks) so its slightly less accurate. but we have a compass where the romans did not)

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Ball flying in DCS helos has always been off. When you step on the ball you might imagine flying coordinated, which is the thing goes where it points at, but that's definately not the case and never has been in any helo in DCS, back to the Ka-50. Uncorrected translating tendency should be indicated by the slip indicator as it basically is sideslip.

• Like 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg