Syria - East side?

Jarlerus

44 minutes ago, Jarlerus said:

Hello.
Great work with Cyprus!

I do wonder what and why was decided about the east side of the map, shown in bellow newsletter picture.
Was that eastern AF cut?

Devs have confirmed that there will be a big update for the east side in the near future. 

• Like 4

My understanding from what @MAESTR0 posted in the past on the Syria preview thread us the same as ArjenHVA, where I believe there have been multiple mentions of wanting to add further details to the Northeast Euphrates region and include Deir-ezzor and Sulfiana airports.

I asked and heard that it's done and there isnt a publicaly quotable representative from ED confirming they are doing any more features on Syria, all we have is that picture from November 2020. "Final" was the word used yesterday. If anyone has a source to the contrary, share it.
I also just came here to ask for the missing 30 miles and Deir e Zor:

image.png

I feel bad asking, especially after the gift of Cyprus, but the section of Raqqa to Dier e Zor was the main part where the Western Coalition forces were striking ISIL. I guess maybe  people don't know or don't care and that's fine, but if you want to look at all the public airstrikes and attempt to model something at least realistic in dimensions, then the exclusion of this small Eastern city and its neighbour Raqqa, is by far the hotspot of the map historically in terms of "Bluefor aircraft". The US/EU flights simply didnt get tied up with the goings on near the Turkish border or anywhere near RF planes, because ISIL was their only objective and ISIL did not operate for very long, west of the Euphrates (maybe 2015's highpoint or thereabouts until if got stamped out). West Syria is essentially wrapped up now with Turkey increasing its borders into Syria as a buffer and managing the refugee crisis and Russia making observation posts to stop the different factions getting out of hand. West Syria was the civil war grounds - about as diplomatically dodgy as a discusion on the invasion of Iraq.

Sure, the West of Syria is prettiest part of the map, but there's nothing there for DCS modules unless you are down in Israel, doing Israeli things, or being a Turkish F-16, or indeed now being Greek Cypriot F-16 or Mirage.

With the introduction of Cyprus, I find that the map now changes completely for sandbox creators - its a Greek vs Turkey vs White UN/America and a British outpost in the middle of it, all over the Aphrodite gas field (potentially an Israeli point of view there for the more extreme and concerning scenarios) - Syria mainland is kindda "dead" for the modules we have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Maestro has mentioned two additional airfields in the past which I have added to my work, Im not sure if its still in the plan to flesh out the east or not. It wouldnt surprise me if they have decided to call it given all the 'wheres syria' and 'why isnt X included' posts that have come through this forum but heres hoping they finish it off, I notive theres a really nice looking Dam half done on the top right of the map Im hoping we get to see.

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I see how any wishlist'ish discussions seem to just ever want to get more, but I think there are several DCS maps which in fact would be just perfect if adding more terrain. Not because "more" is always better but because the respective theaters feel incomplete because of terrain which was left out.

DCS Syria could have been DCS Levant with the southwestern edge following the Eilat - Kairo - Cyprus line... In the east, we could imagine Mosul and maybe even Baghdad.

At least completing Israel and the Sinai would have given endless historical playgrounds...

Edited by Rongor

2 hours ago, Pikey said:

I asked and heard that it's done and there isnt a publicaly quotable representative from ED confirming they are doing any more features on Syria, all we have is that picture from November 2020. "Final" was the word used yesterday. If anyone has a source to the contrary, share it.
I also just came here to ask for the missing 30 miles and Deir e Zor:

image.png

I feel bad asking, especially after the gift of Cyprus, but the section of Raqqa to Dier e Zor was the main part where the Western Coalition forces were striking ISIL. I guess maybe  people don't know or don't care and that's fine, but if you want to look at all the public airstrikes and attempt to model something at least realistic in dimensions, then the exclusion of this small Eastern city and its neighbour Raqqa, is by far the hotspot of the map historically in terms of "Bluefor aircraft". The US/EU flights simply didnt get tied up with the goings on near the Turkish border or anywhere near RF planes, because ISIL was their only objective and ISIL did not operate for very long, west of the Euphrates (maybe 2015's highpoint or thereabouts until if got stamped out). West Syria is essentially wrapped up now with Turkey increasing its borders into Syria as a buffer and managing the refugee crisis and Russia making observation posts to stop the different factions getting out of hand. West Syria was the civil war grounds - about as diplomatically dodgy as a discusion on the invasion of Iraq.

Sure, the West of Syria is prettiest part of the map, but there's nothing there for DCS modules unless you are down in Israel, doing Israeli things, or being a Turkish F-16, or indeed now being Greek Cypriot F-16 or Mirage.

With the introduction of Cyprus, I find that the map now changes completely for sandbox creators - its a Greek vs Turkey vs White UN/America and a British outpost in the middle of it, all over the Aphrodite gas field (potentially an Israeli point of view there for the more extreme and concerning scenarios) - Syria mainland is kindda "dead" for the modules we have.

Screenshot 2021-06-19 225741.png

Source to the contrary, based on Maestr0's posts in the Syria preview thread dating back to March/May 2021.

DCS Syria is a wonderful map (thank You very much UGRA), and at present the final version has been released (newsletter 18 June 2021). Meastro, on March 26, 2021, wrote that will be a big update that will capture the territories east of the Euphrates (Eastern portion of Syria), therefore without expanding the consistency of the current map.

However, the expansion of the island of Cyprus and more, makes it clear that it is possible to add more territories to existing DCS maps (at least to the more recent ones). Already this map offers a great geopolitical variety, allowing great flexibility in the creation of historical and modern events.

IMHO, I hope Ugra can seriously consider further expanding the current map by adding territories down to the 32nd parallel north, so as to include almost all of Israel, a large part of Jordan, a small slice north of Saudi Arabia and the coast of Egypt: all the eastern basin of the Mediterranean Sea!

Of course, a consistent and demanding job, certainly up to the skill already demonstrated by Ugra. And of course, this expansion would have to be paid for, but it would give us the possibility to expand even more the variety of historical events of a certain importance, and make this map a much more must-have than it is now.
antonio.

1 hour ago, joker62 said:

O DCS Síria é um mapa maravilhoso (muito obrigado, UGRA) e, no momento, a versão final foi lançada (boletim informativo de 18 de junho de 2021). Meastro, em 26 de março de 2021, escreveu que será uma grande atualização que irá capturar os territórios a leste do Eufrates (porção oriental da Síria), portanto, sem expandir a consistência do mapa atual.

No entanto, a expansão da ilha de Chipre e mais, torna claro que é possível adicionar mais territórios aos mapas DCS existentes (pelo menos aos mais recentes). Já este mapa oferece uma grande variedade geopolítica , permitindo grande flexibilidade na criação de eventos históricos e modernos.

IMHO, espero que Ugra possa considerar seriamente a expansão do mapa atual adicionando territórios até o 32o norte paralelo, de modo a incluir quase todo Israel, uma grande parte da Jordânia, uma pequena fatia ao norte da Arábia Saudita e a costa do Egito : toda a bacia oriental do Mar Mediterrâneo!

Claro, um trabalho consistente e exigente, certamente à altura da habilidade já demonstrada por Ugra. E, claro, essa expansão teria que ser paga, mas nos daria a possibilidade de expandir ainda mais a variedade de eventos históricos de certa importância, e tornar este mapa muito mais obrigatório do que é agora.
antonio.

The upgrade shouldn't be paid for as it would divide the community. What could happen is charging a higher value for the map.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

1 hour ago, ThorBrasil said:

The upgrade shouldn't be paid for as it would divide the community. What could happen is charging a higher value for the map.

Thanks for pointing this out, it's correct. For those who already own DCS Syria, this addon would be paid, for all the others only a single larger map would be available at a higher price.
I just wanted to express my opinion about a probable expansion of this map, which I think is more interesting towards the South than towards the East.  
However, I'm more than satisfied with DCS Syria and there is more than enough terrain for me to fly over. 

This post/topic wasn't about expanding the map beyond what Ugra set out to make from the start.
If you want to dream about larger maps, make another post in the wishlist forum.

There's a limit right now of practicality of map size, and if you want Egypt and Israel etc, wait for a new map.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2021 at 11:59 AM, Aarnoman said:

Screenshot 2021-06-19 225741.png

Source to the contrary, based on Maestr0's posts in the Syria preview thread dating back to March/May 2021.

I think the link you meant to post is this?

It's not what I would say definitively mentioning Dier ez Zor, in fact it mentioned other features and this only fans flames on that there is more left. But I'd prefer it was confirmed officially after ED's release comments ,thats the purpose of this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I don't work for free and neither do most people. Meaning, I'm willing to pay for more. You make more map, I give you more money. You make a new map, I'll give you crisp clean bills.

You make it - I'll buy it.  :happy:

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

I don't work for free and neither do most people. Meaning, I'm willing to pay for more. You make more map, I give you more money.:happy:

Except they never mentioned the exact amount of work (e.g. the total number of airfields) we're paying for.

Maybe they were aiming at 70, including Dier ez Zor, Ben Gurion and whatnot, and then ran into the memory issues and decided to stop at 50. Where can I get a refund? 😉 

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

7 hours ago, Minsky said:

Except they never mentioned the exact amount of work (e.g. the total number of airfields) we're paying for.

Maybe they were aiming at 70, including Dier ez Zor, Ben Gurion and whatnot, and then ran into the memory issues and decided to stop at 50. Where can I get a refund? 😉 

To be honest, I don't count airfields. As long as there are enough to make the map make sense, it's fine with me. I want quality first and quantity second.

The desired end result, for me anyway, is that Ugra make this map bigger and then make more maps. As fast as possible. That requires money. I am willing to give them money in exchange for bigger/better/more maps. 

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...