Plane spotting in VR

I used my Oculus CV1 with OpenTrack and Nero Game VR in CloD, (as that game has no Native HMD support)

and at the resolution of the CV1, only had real trouble distinguishing Hurricanes from G50's at a distance

Mind though, that game is nowhere near as heavy on system specs as DCS

Unfortunately I cant get Nero and OT to work to make a comparison with DCS since I now us a Reverb, and though OT has a SteamVR emulator (and it does track my Reverb)

ingame I get no movement

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, I was able to easily spot dots at 35 nautical miles yet a Mig-21 across my turn circle in a high speed fight will de-render as I am padlocked on it. 

My wingman is invisible against the blue sky at 3 miles.

Same as it ever was.

DCS essentially erases aircraft at certain ranges. Lighting is wrong. Aircraft don’t properly silhouette against blue sky or clouds in the mid-ranges.

Against the ground, they just get blended into the background. 

Up close they are fine and out where they are rendered as a black dot they are easily seen. DCS fails inside of 10 miles up to a few miles for jets and a mile for WWII fighter sized aircraft. 

The only thing that helps is turning settings down to 1973 Pong Pong_video_game_AlamyB1C204.png

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

17 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Yesterday, I was able to easily spot dots at 35 nautical miles yet a Mig-21 across my turn circle in a high speed fight will de-render as I am padlocked on it. 

My wingman is invisible against the blue sky at 3 miles.

Same as it ever was.

DCS essentially erases aircraft at certain ranges. Lighting is wrong. Aircraft don’t properly silhouette against blue sky or clouds in the mid-ranges.

Against the ground, they just get blended into the background. 

Up close they are fine and out where they are rendered as a black dot they are easily seen. DCS fails inside of 10 miles up to a few miles for jets and a mile for WWII fighter sized aircraft. 

The only thing that helps is turning settings down to 1973 Pong 

Probably the most accurate assessment of the issue I've read. I would agree with everything you've said.

Really hope they give some time to the problem. The dots at extreme distances varying with resolution seem to have been addressed fairly well by that user modification they locked away behind IC. Hopefully they will put their own solution on a fast track.

I think the issue with mid-range spotting is a pretty tough one to address, though. So much of spotting in real life is learning to focus your eyes properly (something we can't really do with current display tech), and so any solution that tries to emulate it might be an arbitrary kludge. I do think there is something going on with the lighting, as you say, and maybe the texture filtering used by the renderer that could be improved -- as it stands now aircraft blend into the background scene in ways that unnaturally mask them.

I also hope they add some mechanism to render glints of reflected sunlight off of shiny aircraft surfaces and canopies, and fix the problem of contrails de-rendering prematurely at distances where they should still clearly be seen.

7 hours ago, kablamoman said:

Probably the most accurate assessment of the issue I've read. I would agree with everything you've said.

Really hope they give some time to the problem. The dots at extreme distances varying with resolution seem to have been addressed fairly well by that user modification they locked away behind IC. Hopefully they will put their own solution on a fast track.

I think the issue with mid-range spotting is a pretty tough one to address, though. So much of spotting in real life is learning to focus your eyes properly (something we can't really do with current display tech), and so any solution that tries to emulate it might be an arbitrary kludge. I do think there is something going on with the lighting, as you say, and maybe the texture filtering used by the renderer that could be improved -- as it stands now aircraft blend into the background scene in ways that unnaturally mask them.

I also hope they add some mechanism to render glints of reflected sunlight off of shiny aircraft surfaces and canopies, and fix the problem of contrails de-rendering prematurely at distances where they should still clearly be seen.

The only official position I know of is “we are happy with the spotting”. I have never seen it acknowledged that there is even an issue to be addressed.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

10 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

The only official position I know of is “we are happy with the spotting”. I have never seen it acknowledged that there is even an issue to be addressed.

It's probably because they've never actually looked at spotting properly. Recently a mod was released that proved ED's argument to be wrong. Now, after a decade, they're potentially going to look at it.

• 1 month later...

But the topic title is in error

The issue described isn't spotting, but identification

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png