Easier way to enter manual waypoints

Viciam1

Hi guys,

Is there an easier way to enter waypoints manually into the f16 in multiplayer servers rather than going into the f10 map, writing the coordinates down on paper then typing them into the f16? Its so tedious to do it manually especially in VR. Can anyone help please?

Thank you

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Hi guys,

Is there an easier way to enter waypoints manually into the f16 in multiplayer servers rather than going into the f10 map, writing the coordinates down on paper then typing them into the f16? Its so tedious to do it manually especially in VR. Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Have not tried this myself, but it may be what you are looking for:

• Like 1

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Fun fact: When the RDAF (Royal Danish Air Force) received their first F-16A´s, every coordinate had to entered by hand on the ICP, including every FREQ to every channel, every TACAN, every ILS and so forth.
With the F-16AM they have a data cartridge making that job much much easier.

Source: The book "F-16, på vingerne med danske jagerpiloter" ISBN 9788711917855

Personally i dont mind having to manually enter coordinates, i have always admired maps, compas and the coordinates system (Primarily the MGRS system).

• Like 1

Inno3d RTX 2070 Twin X2, ASUS STRIX Z270E Gaming, Intel i7 7700K, 32GB Corsair vengeance, Kingston Hyper X FPS Alloy Cherry MX Red, Logitech G102 Prodigy, Track Ir 5, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder pedals, Beyer Dynamic DT770, Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, Win 10 Pro 64bit

1 hour ago, TobiasA said:

Besides the other tips: Map the keypad of your keyboard with a modifier to the ICP.

Mine is CTRL + keypad numbers and enter, I am pretty fast now. I have no idea if this is preset, but it is very helpful.

This. I've simply bound my numpad and arrows to the ICP controls as I have a HOTAS and TrackIR, so I don't need their initial functionality. If you do this, you can input coordinates while you're in the F10 view. Just learn how to input everything without looking at the DED and you can input your coordinates in a flash, even for multiple steerpoints.

Edited by WHOGX5
  • Thanks 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

10 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

Thank you this looks interesting. I wonder if it works in VR?

Doesn’t work in VR. He has no way to develop for it as he has no vr hardware. 

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

This DTC is really high priority to come... setting up all the stuff before entering the cockpit and then just hitting „load“... wonder why that is not done already. It is one of the most needed functions at every flight. Setting up waypoints, threats, frequencies, EWS programs and all that stuff. 
And as said before, in VR it is really a pain to write anything during flight. 
nice they put in JDAM, but no option to get coordinates from the map into the system in an easy way...

Edited by Cupra
  • Like 1

DCS F-16C Blk. 40/42 :helpsmilie:

Candidate - 480th VFS - Cupra | 06

This is the answer you seek, my friend.  Works perfectly. 

Step 1: Bind your num pad to the keys.  Bind your cursor arrows to the dobber.  Bind your cursor arrows w/ modifier (I use right shift) to the button that goes up/down for selecting steerpoints.  

Step 2:  Get this scratchpad app.  Works perfectly in VR and is movable.  

GitHub - rkusa/dcs-scratchpad: Resizable and movable DCS World ingame Scratchpad for quick notes - especially useful in VR.

• Thanks 2

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

16 hours ago, durka-durka said:

...Step 1: Bind your num pad to the keys.  Bind your cursor arrows to the dobber.  Bind your cursor arrows w/ modifier (I use right shift) to the button that goes up/down for selecting steerpoints...  

What durka-durka says, however, for the up/down arrows, I use the num-pad plus- and minus keys. Also, for the Master Mode selection, I mapped the  keys "1" to "6" on the keyboard to the ICP buttons, so pressing "1" gives ne access to the UHF, "2" to the VHF, you get the drift.

For those using the numpad for the icp do you make 7 8 9 the same as the icp 1 2 3?

Finding it really hard to get use to. Might need to try it as printed on the keyboard and remember it is upside down.  

8 minutes ago, hasole said:

For those using the numpad for the icp do you make 7 8 9 the same as the icp 1 2 3?

Finding it really hard to get use to. Might need to try it as printed on the keyboard and remember it is upside down.  

If you‘re used to using the numpad (due to work or whatever) i‘d keep it as it is by default and bind the correct ICP numbers on the physical keys. Since you wont be looking at the icp while entering the numbers but rather at the f10 map (for waypoints at least)

and you subconsciously press the correct button anyway if you look at your ICP even if the keyboard numpad is „inverted“

Edited by _SteelFalcon_

On 6/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, bmbpdk said:

Fun fact: When the RDAF (Royal Danish Air Force) received their first F-16A´s, every coordinate had to entered by hand on the ICP, including every FREQ to every channel, every TACAN, every ILS and so forth.
With the F-16AM they have a data cartridge making that job much much easier.

Source: The book "F-16, på vingerne med danske jagerpiloter" ISBN 9788711917855

Personally i dont mind having to manually enter coordinates, i have always admired maps, compas and the coordinates system (Primarily the MGRS system).

Great book and I asked if they would translate it to English, no plans.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, Viciam1 said:

Hi guys,

Thank you

I bet you have a mobile phone. f10 -  take picture and type on icp 🙂

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 hours ago, hasole said:

I tried inverting my numbers so it would look like the ICP, but it just wouldn't work.  So much faster just doing it on the numpad, especially in VR.

492nd Squadron CO (F-15E): JTF-111 -  Discord Link

"VR scratchpad" also works in 2D, and there is a button that directly inputs coordinates into the scratchpad. Though you need to do a little lua editing to get it in the right coordinate format for the Viper, and you still have to input them manually into the DED, but it does at least skip over the step of having to physically write them down somewhere.

Edited by Nealius

Just reading this thread breaks my heart a lil, but I am impressed at some of the workarounds you guys have found for this. I use VR scratchpad myself. But really a TOP priority for ED needs to be some sort of Data tape/mission planning system.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

For VR Scratchpad here's the lua line that needs to be changed to get the proper LL format for the Viper (also Warthog and Hornet's precise setting).

scratchpad-hook.lua, line 121:

result = result .. "\n" .. tostringLL(lat, lon, 4, false) .. "\n" .. tostring(alt*3.28) .. "ft, " .. mark.text .. "\n"

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Nealius said:

For VR Scratchpad here's the lua line that needs to be changed to get the proper LL format for the Viper (also Warthog and Hornet's precise setting).

This is awesome.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

Wait am I using it wrong, can you copy paste coords or something?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

9 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Wait am I using it wrong, can you copy paste coords or something?

Place a marker on the F10 map, open up scratchpad, press the L/L button, voila. By default the output is in DMS (I think) and meters. The line of code I pasted changes the output to DDMM.mmm and feet. I think. It's been a long time since I tweaked it. 

I also can't remember what happens if you press L/L with multiple markers, or with labeled markers. I might mess with that and see. 

Edited by Nealius

6 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Place a marker on the F10 map, open up scratchpad, press the L/L button, voila. By default the output is in DMS (I think) and meters. The line of code I pasted changes the output to DDMM.mmm and feet. I think. It's been a long time since I tweaked it. 

I also can't remember what happens if you press L/L with multiple markers, or with labeled markers. I might mess with that and see. 

L/L button?

Hm maybe I have the wrong VR notepad. Link to this scratchpad thing?