Target aspect switch

sLYFa

1 hour ago, FWind said:

That's for the proposed updated awg10? 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

30 minutes ago, Spurts said:

The AWG10 was the WCS for the F-4 Phantom

Yeah I know but the article he pulled that from was talking about an updated AWG10

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 minutes ago, sublime said:

Wait so they were launching aim54s from a f4?

7F I think. 

On 6/24/2021 at 1:40 PM, Lurker said:

Can we get a bit of clarification here? Does that mean that Jester will not be able to set the switch automatically, I.E. Jester will not be able to calculate the closure and set the switch accordingly, but that the pilot in front has to tell Jester to set the switch, otherwise it will always be in nose aspect position?

Yes, pilot will need to ask Jester to set it. We could consider making Jester decide in future, but that's far more work.

• Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/24/2021 at 6:13 PM, Golo said:

It should do something according to the manual:

In the short pulse STT modes the aspect switch sets the system tracking mode to the corresponding echo edge or centroid to counteract countermeasures like chaff and specific jammer modes.

However that works.

That effect of the aspect switch on P-STT behaviour is not modelled in DCS F-14.

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

49 minutes ago, gyrovague said:

That effect of the aspect switch on P-STT behaviour is not modelled in DCS F-14.

So... What effect does it have?

2 hours ago, gyrovague said:

Pretty much what @Golo said above, tracking the leading edge, centroid, or trailing edge of pulse returns in P-STT.

I see, that would be neat if we had an actual ECM model in DCS. 

• Like 1

Only was able to pick the AS-4 Kitchen up in Pulse at 48nm. Couldn't ever see it in any PD mode regardless of how slow I got. Real pain in the ass if you ask me.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.06.28 - 16.14.19.90.png

• Like 1

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

8 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

Only was able to pick the AS-4 Kitchen up in Pulse at 48nm. Couldn't ever see it in any PD mode regardless of how slow I got. Real pain in the ass if you ask me.

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2021.06.28 - 16.14.19.90.png

That doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. 

30 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

I agree, it seems realistic in the Pulse sense, but the PD aspect switch thing makes it a real pain. Might as well just shoot a sparrow at the missile, at the range I had to, for the phoenix to reliably track. The Tu-22 could have just gotten 80nm closer because he knows I won't be able to do jack crap to his missiles til ~20nm

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

1 hour ago, BreaKKer said:

I agree, it seems realistic in the Pulse sense, but the PD aspect switch thing makes it a real pain. Might as well just shoot a sparrow at the missile, at the range I had to, for the phoenix to reliably track. The Tu-22 could have just gotten 80nm closer because he knows I won't be able to do jack crap to his missiles til ~20nm

Most people don't think 60's technology be like it is, but it do...

11 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

The problem is with much slower targets as it currently stands. At first i though i was the problem during the last PvE session. Then last night, instant action Gulf Map, Beyond Visual Range mission. Kept losing all the locks, PD-STT and TWS, even at mach 0.7-0.8 at 15000ft. I assumed ED has implemented some space-age AI techniques and the computer controlled bandits now performed some top-notch notching maneuvers. I'm talking before actual lunch maneuvers. Then i clicked F2 and decided to observe them, you know, maybe i can learn something. Nope, they were flying straight! Then i jumped into the RIO seat, set the switch to nose. No more lock loss. I actually prefer the STT locks now, at least with good SA. Unfortunately i can't jump in the RIO seat when in MP 😕

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Just in reference to the AWG-10, the 2900 closing was in pulse only.  PD was 1800.  Source is the F-4B/N/J tactical manual.  The 1964 document referenced earlier might have been a bit optimistic, but given the date I'm not surprised.

I'd pay very little attention to the F-4X proposed performance otherwise.  An on-paper-only variant of a radar that would never be produced, referencing a Sparrow variant that was still on the drawing board.

Edit:  I've attached a snippet from NAVAIR 01-245FDB-1T, page 1-219.

AWG10.jpg

Edited by Biggus
Added relevant section.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Biggus said:

Just in reference to the AWG-10, the 2900 closing was in pulse only.  PD was 1800.  Source is the F-4B/N/J tactical manual.  The 1964 document referenced earlier might have been a bit optimistic, but given the date I'm not surprised.

I'd pay very little attention to the F-4X proposed performance otherwise.  An on-paper-only variant of a radar that would never be produced, referencing a Sparrow variant that was still on the drawing board.

Edit:  I've attached a snippet from NAVAIR 01-245FDB-1T, page 1-219.

AWG10.jpg

2900 closing in PD form F-4K,not form F-4X.http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2016/01/royal-navy-f-4k-phantom-ii-report.html?m=17GF6QKw.png

Edited by FWind

The Doppler filters are not a software thing. The doppler filter number and ranges depend on the actual electronics in the radar. The documentation we have is quite clear on the -1800 to 1800 knots range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

The Doppler filters are not a software thing. The doppler filter number and ranges depend on the actual electronics in the radar. The documentation we have is quite clear on the -1800 to 1800 knots range.

Yup, the AWG-9 is not a "software defined radar"

Follow on question, is this speed limit only in PD or does it apply to pulse as well? 

8 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yup, the AWG-9 is not a "software defined radar"

Follow on question, is this speed limit only in PD or does it apply to pulse as well? 

Only PD, Pulse mode does not use the filters at all.