Igla on ataka twin launcher

Lascar12F

Hi,

Here a picture of what appears to be Igla mounted bellow the twin ataka launch tubes. This to me seems like a normal 24P, not modernized or anything.

If anyone has info to contradict this I would love to hear.

I believe that if this turns out to be valid, this would be an insane boost to the pushka's capabilities. I know R-60's are coming, but this would allow to free up those pylons for other things, and If I'm not mistaken, the Igla has better range than the r-60.

Mi-24-Desert-Rescue.jpg

Edited by Lascar12F

Rafale is the best fighter in the world fight me

The exhaust IR suppressor are coming to the hind in DCS. it's confirmed and the toggle is already in the mission editor.

But that's not the question I'm asking. My question is was this used on soviet 24P and if yes, are we getting it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lascar12F said:

Hi,

Here a picture of what appears to be Igla mounted bellow the twin ataka launch tubes. This to me seems like a normal 24P, not modernized or anything.

If anyone has info to contradict this I would love to hear.

I believe that if this turns out to be valid, this would be an insane boost to the pushka's capabilities. I know R-60's are coming, but this would allow to free up those pylons for other things, and If I'm not mistaken, the Igla has better range than the r-60.

Mi-24-Desert-Rescue.jpg

That picture was taken 21 years ago at NAS Fallon in Nevada. That HIND was from the US Army Test and Evaluation Center and participating in a joint Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) exercise as a simulated hostile threat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lascar12F said:

Thanks for the info Ikaros. This is exactly the kind of knowledge what I wanted.

Well I was hoping you would infer it could be a one off example or they just attached it to the pylon as a prop for looks. I mean we are talking about an aircraft in a testing unit. It certainly wouldn't meet Eagle Dynamics threshold for adding things if it is/was a functioning Igla, that's for sure. I certainly don't know, I just did a reverse image search of the picture you posted, went to the Wikipedia page it's from, read what was in the caption, and made my own conclusions. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 7:05 PM, Soulres said:

While that MIGHT be true, thats probably an export version. Some other country perhaps put that on there much how the Germans 24p Has the IR silencers on the exaust. Were getting the soviet 24p. 

Technically we've got a Russian Mi-24P that's more modern (at least mid 90s, though most likely 2000s/2010s depending on when Lipa was removed).

Fortunately, that and Ataka integration is basically the only difference, and if you don't bring Ataka you'll have a Hind that, apart from the removal of Lipa, is indistinguishable from a Soviet 80s Mi-24P.

Then again the only SAM system Lipa is effective against is the 9K31 "Strela-1" [SA-9 "Gaskin"] though I would like to see some more Cold War MANPADs in the future, some of which Lipa would be effective against.

As for Igla, no idea, though it's not something I've seen in photos of Russian Mi-24Ps.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

11 hours ago, Ikaros said:

Well I was hoping you would infer it could be a one off example or they just attached it to the pylon as a prop for looks. I mean we are talking about an aircraft in a testing unit. It certainly wouldn't meet Eagle Dynamics threshold for adding things if it is/was a functioning Igla, that's for sure. I certainly don't know, I just did a reverse image search of the picture you posted, went to the Wikipedia page it's from, read what was in the caption, and made my own conclusions. 

It is what I inferred. I was looking for any info. You provided info that it's not a russian modification and hence we will never see it in DCS.

I was thanking you for straight to the point, correct info about why this is wrong.