Virtual server

You can run a dedicated DCS server in a VM yes. I'd actually recommend it so you have control over how many cores you can dedicate to it until we get multithreading.
I'm pretty sure most rented DCS servers are run in VMs too.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 9:57 AM, MAXsenna said:

You can run a dedicated DCS server in a VM yes. I'd actually recommend it so you have control over how many cores you can dedicate to it until we get multithreading.
I'm pretty sure most rented DCS servers are run in VMs too. emoji4.png

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks mate...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, bumblebomb said:

What are the requirements? Last time I checked (2020) the situation was: "needs a DX11 GPU, but that's supposed to change" - has it?

What about RAM and CPU? 

From: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/ 

"DCS World Dedicated Server" installer install special DCS World version which intended to work as a dedicated server and doesn't contains textures and sounds. Installed server takes approx. 52 GB on HDD and works as a full-functional server controlled only by WEB (i.e. without any GUI features). This version already includes ALL available terrains and WWII units module, works without 3D graphics and sounds.

Terrain and WWII units doesn't asked activations when launched in server mode without rendering, server owner shouldn't buy them."

.. I've run it with as little as 4 GB of RAM and a pretty weak CPU, but don't know what is the absolute minimum specs.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 7/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, bumblebomb said:

What are the requirements? Last time I checked (2020) the situation was: "needs a DX11 GPU, but that's supposed to change" - has it?

What about RAM and CPU? 

This is official ED specs... I would beleive them 😄

Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 10; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 4 GB (8 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 100 GB; Integrated video card; 10 Mbps internet connection or better.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 10; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 100 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Integrated video card; 50 Mbps internet connection or better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 1:06 PM, bumblebomb said:

What about RAM and CPU? 

I run a DCS 2.7.x server in a Hyper-V virtual machine alongside my standard DCS client setup.  On an i7-8700K I dedicate 2 CPUs (1 core/2 threads) to the server along with 16 GB of memory.  That 52 GB disk space estimate is pure fantasy--when all the maps are installed it's over 100GB.  In addition, I've see some pretty large update packages (around 50GB, if memory serves) so I run the server with a 200GB disk.  That's enough for the standard server installation plus some room for logs/mods/etc. and some room for update packages to download, unzip, and install.  YMMV.

The dedicated server installation requires absolutely no GPU as far as I can tell.  So, a Hyper-V instance with 2 CPUs, 16 GB memory, and a wired network connection should get you where you want to be.

Good luck!

Edited by torreypine
  • Like 3