Pitch oscillation when transitioning from ETL to GE when landing

S. Low

If this isn't a FM bug (I can't say one way or the other), what would be the piloting cause? 

Also has anyone else experienced the GE pushing the Hind up and out of GE? It's almost like I'm constantly bouncing in and out of GE, especially with this near constant oscillation that I don't feel is PIO.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Yes i feel this pitch oscilation too.

• Like 1

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Same here. Seems to happen with or without the pitch autopilot channel enabled, although with the autopilot channel is much better than without. Not sure what could be causing this. I can ride through it until in a hover and it goes away.

• Like 1

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

4 minutes ago, kengou said:

Same here. Seems to happen with or without the pitch autopilot channel enabled, although with the autopilot channel is much better than without. Not sure what could be causing this. I can ride through it until in a hover and it goes away.

Yes exactly. Once you get settled in ground effect it stops. Seems odd

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

It's being discussed in the Bugs section but they need replay tracks. I have limited fly time and only fly ramp-to-ramp or not at all these days, which makes tracks too long for debugging. If we can get some track files it would be much appreciated. 

In my experience it happens while decelerating through 140kph, and settles out when going below 100kph, regardless of ground effect or altitude. I sometimes see similar but minor pitch oscillations when making hard turns at high bank angles. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

MI-8 ain't got massive lift wings.

Hind does. large area for the rotor down wash to interact with as you slow down,  down wash moving forward over the wings and all that junk.

Mi-8 also does not have retracting wheels, I wonder how that effects the airflow whilst decelerating, I might try that, bring the machine to a hover first then extend the wheels.

Would be good to hear from some Russian MI-24 pilots concerning this.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.