Syria map using all my RAM 32gb.

KoN

What's going on with the Syria map . All my ram is being used and its causing bad game play online at times 30Gb is being used . Even loading in map in single player with nothing happening 22-24GB is used right off the bat . There is no head room to play . 

Are there fixes coming . ? 

• Like 3

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 6/20/2021 at 10:47 AM, KoN said:

What's going on with the Syria map . All my ram is being used and its causing bad game play online at times 30Gb is being used . Even loading in map in single player with nothing happening 22-24GB is used right off the bat . There is no head room to play . 

Are there fixes coming . ? 

+1

This has been reported several times already.

The main discussion thread about this issue, was tagged "Investigating"

@BIGNEWY, @NineLine, or @MAESTR0: now that the Syria map is released out of early access, could any of you give us a sitrep on this? Is it still under investigation?

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Not bought this map now , i was going to for the hind .

There is No point if 32GB ram being used . .

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 1 month later...

this problem still exists and i have heavy stutters

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

These reports are the only thing that has put me off purchasing - I tried it via the free trial option a while ago, and this seems to be the only map that is not even close to fluid, for me.

I can populate, sometimes heavily, other maps with no discernible drop, but Syria however - even with just a handful of units or ‘eyecandy”, at a great many times is just a slideshow.

• Like 3

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Then, does it run better with 64GB?  Is RAM the only bottleneck?

AFAIK the RAM footprint is only one element, the other is VRAM due the number of detailed buildings, etc.

With that said, I'm fairly "happy" with my performance in Syria when there's 30 players on the 4YA PvE "Capture the Bases" server, but I'm not using very high settings, multi-monitors or VR and have Syria/DCS on a NVMe m.2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

On 11/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, Ramsay said:

AFAIK the RAM footprint is only one element, the other is VRAM due the number of detailed buildings, etc.

With that said, I'm fairly "happy" with my performance in Syria when there's 30 players on the 4YA PvE "Capture the Bases" server, but I'm not using very high settings, multi-monitors or VR and have Syria/DCS on a NVMe m.2

I upgraded to 64GB today.  RAM so cheap nowdays.  But no change in Syria performance.

• Thanks 1

32GB DDR4, SSD for DCS and OS, 10GB VRAM here. Still stutters even when RAM usage is ~81% and CPU usage is below 40%. 

I also have a breif period about 10 minutes into a mission where GPU usage drops, and I get 7~20fps until GPU goes back up to 99% or so and frames return to normal. Doesn't happen in any other maps.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

My mission runs Syria exclusively and I posted this workaround in my Discord some time ago to help my pilots, and it has yielded good results for the people that have tried it.

You need another HDD and preferably a SSD but it's OK if not. Excuse the quality/production it was never intended for public viewing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tfMXDFo3mHjxjoJW5b-HpyhbRciusbf1/view?usp=sharing

It works because thereafter windows will not push the almost 20GB of surface files into memory and instead said memory will be used for other things. It will not give FPS but will give stability and reduce stuttering.

Edited by PravusJSB
  • Like 1

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

16 hours ago, PravusJSB said:

My mission runs Syria exclusively and I posted this workaround in my Discord some time ago to help my pilots, and it has yielded good results for the people that have tried it.

You need another HDD and preferably a SSD but it's OK if not. Excuse the quality/production it was never intended for public viewing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tfMXDFo3mHjxjoJW5b-HpyhbRciusbf1/view?usp=sharing

It works because thereafter windows will not push the almost 20GB of surface files into memory and instead said memory will be used for other things. It will not give FPS but will give stability and reduce stuttering.

Hello Pravus,

Thank you

The video is pretty much a blur for me sadly. I take it you are using the sybolic link method of linking the terrains/Syria/Surface folder within the root to its namesake sitting outside of the Game's install drive?

Ive followed this thread 

....and the solution given by @RuskyV. Here through the files (the entire DCS root folder) are not moved between hard drives but to a symlink folder sitting on the same drive so Im curious to understand why and if this step is necessary.  Now I could go and link the Syrian surface folder from the symlink set to my C drive but I dont even know if linking to link from a link is even a thing or if it would harm the performance with the additonal step.  

Additionally, what happens in an update? does new files find there wat to the symlink folder or do they end up in the original folder?

Sorry for all the questions

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Hey, yea that post is using the same method. I've not tried keeping the files on the same drive, does it still keep them out of memory? My understanding is not complete so it would be great if this works whilst the link folder is on the same drive.

Regards update, usually it keeps the link unless (I think) the files being linked are updated, then it might need to be linked again thereafter.

Edited by PravusJSB

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

2 hours ago, PravusJSB said:

usually it keeps the link unless (I think) the files being linked are updated, then it might need to be linked again thereafter.

Bodes well for my 2 400GB installs! 🙂

Thank for the reply. I have a stable and beta install so I can try one of each flavour and see I guess. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

So the idea of creating a symbolic link between folders is generally used to keep a program thinking all folders are where they should be. You can then move any of those files within that program to other locations where the symbolic link, links to. You can link across other drives or the same drive if desired, depending on what you want to do.
It’s a windows tool at the end of the day…

With regards to DCS, the reason for using this “tool” is to stop windows looking at files in DCS that it thinks are being used multiple times and committing those files to VRAM, most often it’s texture files that are being constantly used or accessed. Obviously DCS is using these files anyway to texture the 3d world and is using VRAM for those textures.

What you get is a file being shoved into VRAM once by the OS and a second time decoded by DCS to be used. As these files are incredibly large in some instances you are effectively doubling down on your memory.

What the symbolic link does is stop the OS from “seeing” these commonly accessed files, allowing DCS to use VRAM as normal and if those files need to be accessed they are done so from the SSD and not from memory space (as a simplified explanation)..

Have a think about what the CPU is having to do by juggling files around in maxed out memory space occupied by DCS. Now you get an idea of how this is working, It’s not about saving VRAM (per se) because DCS uses all available memory anyway, it’s about easing unnecessary file manipulation.

Hope this helps.

Edited by RuskyV

12 hours ago, RuskyV said:

So the idea of creating a symbolic link between folders is generally used to keep a program thinking all folders are where they should be. You can then move any of those files within that program to other locations where the symbolic link, links to. You can link across other drives or the same drive if desired, depending on what you want to do.
It’s a windows tool at the end of the day…

With regards to DCS, the reason for using this “tool” is to stop windows looking at files in DCS that it thinks are being used multiple times and committing those files to VRAM, most often it’s texture files that are being constantly used or accessed. Obviously DCS is using these files anyway to texture the 3d world and is using VRAM for those textures.

What you get is a file being shoved into VRAM once by the OS and a second time decoded by DCS to be used. As these files are incredibly large in some instances you are effectively doubling down on your memory.

What the symbolic link does is stop the OS from “seeing” these commonly accessed files, allowing DCS to use VRAM as normal and if those files need to be accessed they are done so from the SSD and not from memory space (as a simplified explanation)..

Have a think about what the CPU is having to do by juggling files around in maxed out memory space occupied by DCS. Now you get an idea of how this is working, It’s not about saving VRAM (per se) because DCS uses all available memory anyway, it’s about easing unnecessary file manipulation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Rusky.

So , to be clear, If I were trying to measure it in Riva, I wouldnt see any difference in the amount of VRAM or RAM being used.  I ask this because Im not. Syria eats 30GB of RAM even in a basic quick flight mission and maxes the VRAM unless the preload is set below 30000 regardless of symbolic links. 

Thats really quite depressing. A vitually Empty SP mission in Syra takes all the RAM I have. So as well as a £1500 GPU I also need another £240 of RAM to have anywhere approching headroom.  I can see why flight simming is niche.  

Edited by Boosterdog

@Boosterdog
So , to be clear, If I were trying to measure it in Riva, I wouldnt see any difference in the amount of VRAM or RAM being used.

Yes, this is why it is quite difficult to measure the impact with benchmark tools measuring performance.

I ask this because Im not.

I don't tend to use bench marks either as this can distract from what you feel or perceive to be a smooth experience, Its too easy to end up chasing numbers. Not saying its not important but can lead to a bit of a rabbit hole.
-its all down to feel at the end of the day which is largely subjective from person to person.

really quite depressing. A vitually Empty SP mission in Syra takes all the RAM I have.

This is something that comes up in other threads discussing the use of 32bit textures for the cockpits and other areas of DCS, one of the areas where benchmarking does really highlight issues with performance which is why I use a symbolic link as a way of clawing back a little performance and frame consistency to offset this.

Most of this is beyond my understanding in general but suffice to say that members here have experimented and have found most cockpit textures can be reduced down to as small as 8bit textures in some cases with little to no difference in loss of quality. The hot question is why use 32bit textures at all...

So as well as a £1500 GPU I also need another £240 of RAM to have anywhere approching headroom. 

I Feel your pain, No easy answer here only if you are looking to buy more memory id recommend at least 32GB as a minimum, personally always buying in pairs or quads.

I can see why flight simming is niche.

With a higher than normal demand on Hardware for the best experience I totally agree with you.

Regards,👍

Edited by RuskyV
  • Thanks 1

@RuskyV Thank you for the detailed reply and you detailed sybolic link instructions. Having just shelled out £240 for 32GB of  Gskill Neo 3600 16-16-16-32 dual rank, Ive rather made a rod for my own back when it comes to a even expansion! I agree there does seem to be an inordinate amount of "depth" to the skins and cockpits. I guess its something that comes into its own at higher resolutions. 

• Like 1