I recently discovered a little friendly rivalry between the Air Force and Navy on twitter over 3 years ago so let's have a friendly rivalry in DCS as well (F-16 vs F/A-18)

Strider1_Trigger

Air Force vs. Navy in DCS (F-16C vs. F/A-18C, which one do you prefer)  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which plane do you prefer?

• F-16C, Air Force FTW!
    • F/A-18C, No points for second place!

20 hours ago, schurem said:

Kids y'all ain't getting it. The "friendly rivalry" is not about having a polite, rational exchange of pros and cons. It's about style. Identity. Esprit de corps.

So you don't weakly say the hornet is a very good aircraft, but the viper has a slight edge in p/w. Naw man.

Hornet's a plastic toy, only meant for the sort of effeminate mother's boy who loves living cooped up in a tin can with a thousand men smelling of old socks and whose idea of mud moving is fearfully lobbing cruise missiles from a thousand miles out.

Now a viper, that'll put hair on your balls. The viper is so gucci, it has a recliner ejection seat. It's so perfect it outflies the eagle even though it has only one of the eagle's engines. Moving mud in a viper means flying down the gullet of a SAM's engagement zone, baiting it to take its best shot the dropping a brace of CBU right down at where the smoke trail originates. 

See?

P.s. that I haven't seen any hornet driver put up any defence of their toy worth a damn proves my point. Hoo-ah.

Haha, a little trash talk is always fun. Despite that Hornet fans are winning in the poll they appear to be losing in why their aircraft is better than the Viper. I guess Hornet fans aren't as passionate as the MiG-21 fans. If you diss the MiG-21, they will try to hit back with everything they get. **Spoiler Alert** They have a nuke.

F16vsF18.jpg

22 hours ago, schurem said:

Kids y'all ain't getting it. The "friendly rivalry" is not about having a polite, rational exchange of pros and cons. It's about style. Identity. Esprit de corps.

So you don't weakly say the hornet is a very good aircraft, but the viper has a slight edge in p/w. Naw man.

Hornet's a plastic toy, only meant for the sort of effeminate mother's boy who loves living cooped up in a tin can with a thousand men smelling of old socks and whose idea of mud moving is fearfully lobbing cruise missiles from a thousand miles out.

Now a viper, that'll put hair on your balls. The viper is so gucci, it has a recliner ejection seat. It's so perfect it outflies the eagle even though it has only one of the eagle's engines. Moving mud in a viper means flying down the gullet of a SAM's engagement zone, baiting it to take its best shot the dropping a brace of CBU right down at where the smoke trail originates. 

See?

P.s. that I haven't seen any hornet driver put up any defence of their toy worth a damn proves my point. Hoo-ah.

That funny as hell, thanks for the laugh 😄 😄 😄 

On 6/24/2021 at 2:54 PM, schurem said:

See?

Well in that case.....

First, it's nice to know that if I lose an engine in the Hornet, I've got another to take me home.....unlike the Fighting Falcon where I'll have to ditch in the desert, and be set on fire...

Also the Hornet doesn't fly like a pig as the F-16 does with a decent air to ground loadout, that's just a fact.

Hornets got a better radar, that got updated during it's lifespan, compared to the poor little APG-68, AMRAAM equivalent radar on the F-16. Without Datalink it's like looking through a straw. I guess if you have AWACS babysitting you 24/7 your fine, just make sure not to wander away from your E-3's apron strings.

Sure you can get high up to 40000 feet and Mach 1.6 without too much difficultly, I'll just wait the 5 minutes out of engagement range it takes for you to burn all your useable fuel, in full burner, to keep your tiny little wings aloft at that alt. It's cute seeing you small falcons try to imitate your bigger Eagle brothers, but then again good tactics don't seem to be a priority for most F-16 drivers in DCS.

Remember the song is actually meant to go: 

🎵Cause if it's single seat...multirole...and flown by some dumb asshole...you bet your ass that fucker issss... a stupid Viper.🎶

Finally the Hornet had a cool name to begin with. Their pilots didn't have to overcompensate out of shame for the actual name of their aircraft, the Fighting Falcon. 🤭

Obviously this is all just trash talk, I own both modules and like both. In all seriousness the Hornet is just a more versatile and reliable platform, even when compared to the F-16. It's turn around times and low maintenance hours, means that it is always there for the party. Having performance is great, but you need to be able to show up for it to be useful. One thing the Hornet never had to do, compared to the F-14, and the Harrier, was to justify it's existence as a military expenditure.

Edited by CrazyGman
  • Like 4

There you go! At last someone stopped preening his manicure long enough to put up something resembling a proper defence of that anemic plastic toy.

(Fwiw, the hornet is a fun module)

Now don't get me started on DCS fliers tactics. Where every bug driver squeals like a little girl, pulls the paddle to overstress the airframe, then does not get an epic spanking from his plane captain or whatever the navy equivalent.

Sure these jets don't have long legs, neither the bug nor the viper does. At least the viper has pretty short legs 😉

• Like 4

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

21 hours ago, CrazyGman said:

First, it's nice to know that if I lose an engine in the Hornet, I've got another to take me home.....unlike the Fighting Falcon where I'll have to ditch in the desert, and be set on fire...

At least in the Viper you have the speed to disengage if you get into a bad situation. If you get into a bad situation in the Hornet and trying to run away, you're most likely get caught up and swatted out of the sky like an annoy little bug.

Hornets got a better radar, that got updated during it's lifespan, compared to the poor little APG-68, AMRAAM equivalent radar on the F-16. 

Who needs a better radar when there is AWACS in the air?

Finally the Hornet had a cool name to begin with. Their pilots didn't have to overcompensate out of shame for the actual name of their aircraft, the Fighting Falcon. 🤭

At least the F-16's official name: Fighting Falcon is a majestic bird while the F/A-18 is named after an annoying little bug that everyone considers it to be a pest. 😎

All jokes aside, I love both of these aircraft as well.

Edited by Strider1_Trigger
  • Like 2

Well i hate to bring it up, but during air to air refueling one of above mentioned airplanes sticks its "thing" into a hole, while its air force friends hole is being penetrated by somebody's else stick... 😉 Thinking of that i can't help but to recall this meme:

air-force.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Strider1_Trigger said:

At least the F-16's official name: Fighting Falcon is a majestic bird while the F/A-18 is named after an annoying little bug that everyone considers it to be a pest. 😎

LOL. You made my day. 

Also, in regards to the official name battle: 

"Falcons are better known as predators of smaller birds. But they love feeding on wasps as well. It has also been discovered that Falcons catch an entire wasp nest to feed their kids with the essential meal." 

Which explains why F-16 kills F-18 all the time in multiplayer servers. Little bug doesn't stand a chance against its natural predator. 😎

Edited by SCPanda

12 hours ago, SCPanda said:

LOL. You made my day. 

Also, in regards to the official name battle: 

"Falcons are better known as predators of smaller birds. But they love feeding on wasps as well. It has also been discovered that Falcons catch an entire wasp nest to feed their kids with the essential meal." 

Which explains why F-16 kills F-18 all the time in multiplayer servers. Little bug doesn't stand a chance against its natural predator. 😎

This ^^^ and the stereotypical Hornet pilots in DCS are noobs. The Hornet is for noobs and the Viper is for men.

Edited by Strider1_Trigger
  • Like 1

Ill get banned for this, but oh well...

The Viper gets screwed by the tanker on one night stand. The Hornet screws the tanker that asks for more, because the hornet lasts longer. 

And on the serious side. Both. 

Viper gets my adrenaline pumped. 

Hornet gets the job done.

The Viper for me is a neighborhood bully. Once he catches you, you are in big trouble. 

The Hornet is a resilient and professional hunter, that will not rest until you are dead. 

Edited by Mr.Scar

13 hours ago, Wroblowaty said:

Well i hate to bring it up, but during air to air refueling one of above mentioned airplanes sticks its "thing" into a hole, while its air force friends hole is being penetrated by somebody's else stick... 😉 Thinking of that i can't help but to recall this meme:

air-force.jpg

Come to think about it, pilots always refer to their aircraft as "she/her" while refer to the tanker as "Mr. tanker", so it make more sense for the tanker plug the boom into an aircraft to refuel. 

• Like 1

Ahahaha the "gutless cutlass" naw thank you man! Put an A-6 in there and you're making your point. Thing *did* look rather fetching, I'll give you that.

While the hornet drivers might try and make puerile nonsense about the sexual orientation of their refuelling method, they are still the ones so scared of their engine going tits up they insist on bringing two of them, and piddly little things they are. Chad viper driver on the other hand can trust his maintenance crew and flies that single monster engine to whatever may come and is confident he'll come out on top.

• Like 2

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

2 minutes ago, schurem said:

Ahahaha the "gutless cutlass" naw thank you man! Put an A-6 in there and you're making your point. Thing *did* look rather fetching, I'll give you that.

That was the point of the meme... put some ridiculous aircraft next to a legit better aircraft (F-14, arguably) to make it seem even more ridiculously disproportionate... lol  No one in their right mind would chose to take a C-2 or an F-7U Cutlass into combat today... but yet here we are, saying it's superior to the Super Hornet... THAT'S THE JOKE..............

It's not as funny when you have to explain it =|

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

6 hours ago, Strider1_Trigger said:

Come to think about it, pilots always refer to their aircraft as "she/her" while refer to the tanker as "Mr. tanker", so it make more sense for the tanker plug the boom into an aircraft to refuel. 

Oh..... So if a Hornet refuels, it's she putting her "thing" into Mr. Tanker's "thing". Ewwww.... now that's disgusting. 

Confirmed Hornet is a ladyboy, and feels bad for Mr. Tanker. 😞

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SCPanda said:

Oh..... So if a Hornet refuels, it's she putting her "thing" into Mr. Tanker's "thing". Ewwww.... now that's disgusting. 

Confirmed Hornet is a ladyboy, and feels bad for Mr. Tanker. 😞

Also, don’t forget that when you’re refuelling, the tanker is putting something into your aircraft not the other around.

30 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Jesus, it's getting so vivid, I have to answer Viper vs Hornet with: TOMCAT ALL THE WAY!!!

Oooh, we expand to other airframes ? All right then ... :gun_rifle:

Gosh, I thought you americans were cute with your flying plastic toys but seriously ... the Tomcat ?? Puh-lease. Didn't *any* of your airplane designers study aerodynamics ? Is your answer always to simply tack on more or bigger engines ? The *Mirage 2000* is the only plane with both aesthetics and performance. And one that looks like it *actually* belong in the air rather than on a mall's parking lot. 

There, that should do it. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Many myths and stereotypes here. F/A-18 ceased to be anemic when it received the new engines.

F-16 ceased to be a Cold War lightweight nimble hotrod with extreme T/W since it grew tons of additional empty mass. T/W of very late Hornet and Viper variants we have in DCS is actually very comparable.

Both received mostly the same weapon systems, both are very close in capabilities. F-16 will always have somewhat better supersonic acceleration, F/A-18 low speed nose authority, but this is not a make or break anymore, especially due to standoff weapon systems, like it was during 1980s when the differences were much more apparent.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 8:36 AM, Cpt Cuckoo said:

I prefer the Hornet's avionics HUD & weapons and tail-hook, but prefer the Viper's flying abilities and view.

Well said. I prefer the Hornet for the fact that all the avionics are legible while you need to bring a x23 telescope when flying the Viper to be able to read stuff on those mice cinemas. But if I don't need those displays at all, I prefer sitting in the Viper, clearly moar joy buzzing around.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its the f16 for me, i find the hotas and weapons/radar easy to understand. I also have the Thrustmaster A10 hotas stick and throttle so it fits the bill, at least the joystick. and the pvp playstyle going fast and slinging amraams i just love it. 

i dont care about long legs etc as it dont matter to much the way I play.      I never/rarely do long missions in DCS so the raw power of the f16 fits me perfect. 

Maybe my opinion would be different if we had the superhornet instead of the legacy. im not sure how that performs maybe too classified.