TGP FLIR broken

dporter22

After the last update the TGP FLIR is broken.  Targets have very minimal IR contrast and appear essentially the same in CCD, BHOT, and WHOT.  Adjusting brightness and contrast help only slightly.

In the attached screenshots, there are two trucks in the center of the MFD.  First is WHOT, second is BHOT, third is CCD.  Targets in FLIR should be highly visible, not basically invisible.  Also, when I adjust brightness and contrast to make WHOT better, it ruins BHOT and CCD, and vice versa.

Screen_210620_094013.png

Edited by dporter22
Screenshots
  • Like 2

Probably the new terrain texture in 2.7.2 causes the TGP issue. Made a test in 2.7.1 and 2.7.2. with the default textures. Same mission (A-10CII, Instant action, Hard - Russian Lakes - Spring) WHOT, with default gain and level settings.

Textures and FLIR_2.7.1.jpg

Textures and FLIR_2.7.2.jpg

Edited by Mike68

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you tried clearing the fxo and metashaders2 folders under <userprofile>\Saved Games\DCS ?

I frequently get FLIR issues particularly in the A-10 after updates so I usualy delete the two folders regularly. 

• Like 2

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

Hi all

I have already reported an issue with the CCD, BHOT and WHOT seem ok to me, if you have short track examples feel free to add and we can take a look. 

Possibly related to the terrain update, team will investigate. 

Please remove any user mods and run a repair just in case.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

whew... I thought I had broken something,

again

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

It is obviously lighting related.

In this track there are two groups of three vehicles, one group is placed in the shadow, the other is not in the shadow. Observe the visibility and effect of FLIR when I switch between the two groups in the TGP.

There are also two groups of one vehicle each driving past the stationary groups. Observe the vehicle dust. The dust from the vehicle driving in the shadow appears to be glowing, just as it is when observing it with your "eyes" since neither shadow nor terrain shadows affect vehicle dust.

A10C_TGP_problem.trk

BigNewy,

As you suggested I removed Mods.  Then I deleted FXO and then did a slow (long) repair.  These pictures are after.

Caucasus near Batumi     Ver 2.7.3.8494

Clouds

Clouds01.gif

BHOT

BHOT02.gif

WHOT

WHOT02.gif

CCD

CCD01.gif

If you are  not aware the MAV MFCD is just as hosed.

LOOK HERE

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Version 2.7.3.8494    

No changes from the previous version that I can notice

Mostly Cloudy

Clouds03.gif

BHOT05.gif

WHOT03.gif

MAV04.gif

Light Scattered Clouds

Clouds04.gif

BHOT06.gif

WHOT04.gif

MAV05.gif

This picture below is perhaps the telling tale.  It is in CCD mode with Light Scattered Clouds.  Notice the shading of the ground vehicles where one is mostly is clear and dark while the others that are close by are washed out and faint. 

On just about any setting with more clouds the CCD mode is just about useless.

CCD02.gif

Now, compare this CCD picture to other pictures that I have taken on Mostly Cloudy above.  For example; this picture below in WHOT with Mostly Cloudy.  Notice how the SA-6 is dark (bright white) and is well defined to the terrain, but the SA-13 just to the left of it is washed out and faint. 

This is true for both the CCD and the WHOT pictures.

WHOT03.gif

ED really has not responded other than BigNewy stating that he let the team know. 

Is this a glitch or is it working as intended? 

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

Hi,

I also confirm, and not only on the A10, on the hornet and the viper too. On the viper it's particularly obvious, there are times when the flir and the IR mavericks are totally unusable. As soon as I have time I will make a track for the viper. 
A comment from ED would be welcome to know if this problem is taken seriously and put in high priority (it affects an important function of several modules), or will we have to wait almost 2 years like the last flir bug for this to be fixed?

Thanks and have a nice day...

• Like 1

Dporter,

Not useless, both mostly work.  You just have to fly with no clouds.  Which is just a bit underwhelming considering how beautiful the clouds really are. 

I have shown in some pictures that even with Light Clouds the textures are off.  So it seems like a base game graphic issue to me.  I am sure that ED is working on it, but probably it is much more complicated than just changing a few lines of code.

How are the mirrors working with the clouds?  I always have mine off.

Caldera