My feedback/experience of missions so far

Hi all,

I thought I would use this thread as a good opportunity to share my experience going through the 'Fear the Bones' campaign. Of course, this will be laden with spoilers, so the relevant parts will be hidden accordingly. I'll update this post as I go along(at the time of writing, I have only done the first five missions). So far, I'm thoroughly pleased with the experience, and it has helped my skills as a pilot.

For reference, I'm a comparably new DCS pilot, having spent around 60 or so hours focussing on the F-14. I'm still learning, but enjoying the challenge. I'm a Reverb G2 user, so my experience is basically through VR.

Mission 1:

Spoiler

As it loaded and I looked through into a dark cockpit, my initial thoughts were of despair that I could have to engage in a night sortie. Nonetheless, I started my engines, making ominous note of Jester's warning that we only had 4,900lbs of fuel. Since the Reverb G2 headset doesn't have an OLED display, it's quite challenging to see in the dark, and I resisted the urge to change the gamma settings since it felt so washed out and unrealistic. On launch I decided that I merely had to steel myself and fly by the gauges. The voiced instructions were very helpful to give a rough indication, and I followed accordingly. I increasingly got more comfortable flying IFR, with the VID being home of where I placed a majority of my concentration. As I heard the other Pontiac flight had an accident, I immediately looked at my fuel(which was 2,700lbs) and immediately suspected that I would have to land soon or tank. Presented with choice, I chose to tank, knowing I had never tanked at night. I managed to successfully intercept the tanker, but due to the G2 display, it was extraordinarily difficult to get to the basket. I managed to hook it a few times, but beyond the position lights of the Viking, I just couldn't see. I suspect the Viking being so dark is more an in-game fault, than anything deliberate. Admittedly it was worrying finding the tanker, knowing it was only 3,000 feet. I realised there was the use of NVG, so I used that. I tanked up to 9,000lbs, figuring that was more than enough. At that point, I wasn't sure what to do since I hadn't heard further story instructions, so decided to go back to the ship. Fortunately, the story interjected, and I conducted a CASE III approach. I worked my way to get ready for CASE III, and rather remarkably made a 3 wire landing. The approach did not feel like I deserved such a thing. 

As much as this mission was mentally taxing and required a fair amount of concentration, I am grateful for the newer experience. I typically skirted away from night missions, so it was something different.

Mission 2:

Spoiler

I suppose this is predominately a cut scene more than anything else, which I did not expect. It was quite cool to listen to the dialogue, and seeing the ship suddenly struck caught me off guard a little. It's a little more impactful in VR!

Mission 3:

Spoiler

I must admit, I was slightly worried that I would experience another night sortie, so I was very happy to be flying under the sun again! Having started the 'Cat, I liked its loadout, indicative of a more regular warload with my token Phoenix missile(as I understand, it was very difficult to maintain). Taking off from the carrier, I forgot to stay at 300 IAS and 500ft MSL, with Jester lambasting me for soaring well above. I hit the deck and scrupulously followed instructions until I was 7nm out then joining up with the tanker. Whether from using a VR headset, I never worried too much about AAR, and looked forward to meeting up with the S-3. I topped up my tanks, waited for my wingman to do the same, and then headed off to USS Valley Forge. Seeing the smoke billow from the ship I cruised comfortably, until Focus told of targets flying low and slow. Following their direction I dropped down to find the targets. Whether Jester's or my fault I couldn't find them on radar. I suspect if I were RIO I may have used something like Pulse Search due to their low speed. I had not suspected at all that it was two Mi-8s. Nonetheless, I followed the recommended headings, and eventually visually found them. I triumphantly swept my wings back and flew in between them at 650 IAS, looping around for another fast pass. They bugged out, and I flew past them once more for good measure. I then returned to station, which after some circuits was instructed to intercept another target. Accordingly, I flew out and intercepted the Tu-95. Heading Jaws', Caveman and Ivan's dialogue was... appropriately 80s. Nonetheless, seeing the photo taken of me with the Bear and the VF-84 bird was quite fun. As we came 70nm to the carrier, anticipating the situation, I slid back behind the Bear, ready to lock. Accordingly, I was told to take a hard lock and did so. He went away. After that, Pontiac 2 - 1 was on station, and we could head home, for a comparably uneventful CASE I approach. I enjoyed this mission to a fair extent, and on the return flight enjoyed the radio dialogue about Batman, I didn't care for its specifics, but phased out as we went along.

Mission 4:

Spoiler

Pitted with the same load as before, I wondered whether I would have to put this to use, and how a singular Phoenix would be employed, since most mission usually gave me two or four. With the ritual takeoff, I correctly stayed at 300IAS ans 500ft for 7nm, and then climbed to waypoint. I was directed then, after climb to intercept a pair flying towards Valley Forge. Under the instruction to not fire unless fired upon, I reservedly selected the Sparrow, though unsure how to properly employ it in a defensive context. As I saw the bandits close, I created some lateral separation. While they continued to be hot on me, forcing me to turn closer to them, they fortunately went cold, and I could return to station. Having returned to station, I was then instructed to intercept another group. Instructed that they were Mig-23s(and confirmed by the RWR), I suspected they were less likely to go cold. Under the same instruction not to fire unless fired upon, I shelved my Phoenix, and readied my Sparrows. As we came closer, I created separation. The Jester AI seemed remarkably unphased by the sets of events! The Floggers turned into me, and I heard my RWR alarm. I turned cold with my wingman to defeat the missiles and re-engage. Having defeated the lock I turned about, for my RWR to only alarm again - it seems the Mig-23s were very interested in me and not my wingman. I turned away once more, while my wingman managed to shoot one of the Floggers down. Once my RWR quietened, I turned to re-engage the fight, and downed the latter Mig with a Sidewinder. While I didn't feel like a hero for not downing the first, or downing both, I was reasonably proud that I evaded both Mig-23's efforts to shoot me down, and afforded the opportunity for my wingman to take one out. The return flight was reasonably uneventful, although after landing one of my flaps jammed for a reason I have yet to understand.

For now, the Phoenix remains unused...

Mission 5:

Spoiler

Launching into this mission, I was very much under the impression that there would be another dogfight. So I was horrified to see that we would be going up in night... again. Nonetheless, with some practice from beforehand I was a lot more confident about my handling. On the way to WPT 1 I was notified by Magic to intercept a low flying target. I chose to stay high, and dive in case I went within 10NM. I was a little worried I would have to engage with it being so dark, but the Fencer bugged out, and thus I went to station over the Valley Force. As I circled I heard the rescue efforts, and was concerned as Dodge was called to strike a Soviet battleship. I was then dispatched to intercept the MiGs, and at this point I was phenomenally concerned as I saw eight targets on the PTID. Though they were only Mig-21s, it was night and I wasn't sure how to approach it. I readied my token Phoenix hoping I would be cleared to fire. I thought about how I would adopt a strategy of keeping it BVR and picking them off one by one. Fortunately, the fight was called off once more. Returning to station, I was told to wait for evac to finish, in which after I was told to RTB. I hadn't noticed at first after the bang(I thought it was an explosion from the ship), but I was shocked when I realised the HUD went out, especially knowing it would be a night landing. Nonetheless, I carefully approached and managed a two wire. It was also interesting to see that war had been declared between USA and USSR in a CCN style.

Mission 6:

Spoiler

Daylight! How I'll never take you for granted again! I launched off, knowing that war was now on the table. Once more, I complained that I only had one paltry Phoenix - we're at war now surely I can have one more! Passing the 7nm DME, I was told by Magic to intercept a Yak-40. I jumped into the RIO seat, locked him and set collision course. I cleanly intercepted and hung off his left wing. Unable to get his attention, I took a loop to perform a fast pass, which was exceptional to do(although it was hard to accelerate with tanks and all). One thing I've learned in this campaign so far is I can be a bit more careless about fuel consumption... Unable to draw his attention, my RWR picked up the SA-11, which became concerning. Once my RWR indicated I was being fired upon, I immediately cranked away and dropped 10,000ft, knowing the Yak-40 was left to its fate. Jester seemed remarkably unphased a missile was fired at us...! Nonetheless, bemoaning the loss of the Yak, we were notified by Magic to intercept the Mig-25s. I'm slightly annoyed about this particular engagement, as I was well aware that Magic was between us. I put us into Zone V and climbed to 35,000ft and armed my singular Phoenix. In TWS A I prioritised the leading target... though Jester dropped the ball and we lost the leading Mig's track. Therefore I targeted the second Mig and fired upon him. For some reason, the AIM-54, launched at 35 nm at M1.1 just didn't hit the Mig-25, in spite of the fact no chaff or evasion was made by the Mig-25. The AIM-54 didn't go active either. I'm not sure, but it seems since the latest update the Phoenix missile has stopped working effectively. I checked the Tacview later, and neither my wingman or my Phoenix succeeded. I turned to the lead Foxbat. who had already fired at Magic. It was too late. Nonetheless, I fired off a Sparrow, and he turned hot on me, firing an R-60 on me. I was quite proud of this scenario, since I saw the missile was launched, and I pulled a looping barrel roll dropping flares as I went. I defeated the R60, and managed to get my nose back on to continue the Sparrow's guidance and kill the Foxbat. 

I'm conflicted on this engagement for a few reasons. Firstly, I should have dropped my tanks to get the extra speed. That way, I could have got some extra speed. That said, I don't know how, but the AI F-14 can accelerate stupidly fast. While I only got up to M1.2, he got up to M1.9 somehow. Secondly, I don't know why Jester lost the contact, it wasn't  like he was notching! Thirdly, it may have been better for me to have fired my Phoenix in PDSTT if TWS wasn't going to work. I don't know what happened with the Phoenix, and assumed it would be an easy kill as we had altitude, ideal range, and was going fast.

Nonetheless, at some point I'll retry that mission and make sure Magic isn't killed.

I listened to the radio of American football, which I had little understanding of....

I RTB'ed and for some reason struggled to land. On the third attempt I managed to get a 2 wire, but that was after two bolters. I think I've still been learning how to accommodate for the burble effect, which is manageable, but takes some finesse on final.

All in all I really enjoyed this mission, but as the story has progressed I am becoming more worried of larger engagements... I hope my Phoenix works in future... and it's daytime! 

Mission 7:

Spoiler

Well, I got what I asked for, in flourishes. Rather than the singular Phoenix, I now had six, with Sidewinders to boot. Hearing the alert scramble, this mission felt like we were doing what the F-14 was designed for. Having started up and scrambled, I jumped into the back seat and set target aspect nose. I heard over the comms that some would take the Migs, while I would take the Backfires. I was ready to do so, but my wingmen didn't engage the MiGs, so I chose to do so, as they were a little over forty miles away, and they had to be engaged in some form. I fired off all my Phoenixes as they came into the 35 - 40 nm range. I destroyed three MiG-29s, and two Tu-22 Backfires. Looking into the TacView after, it was a Tu-22 that evaded the sixth one, surprisingly! As we came closer, my wingmen also engaged and fired their missiles(though they could have fired a few more). I looked up and saw that the Backfires had fired some of their own missiles, which was quite impressive to see. There were about eight or so, and I chose to ignore them as I wouldn't be able to give chase, and assumed other Tomcats or the ships themselves would have defence(which in TacView, they did). I downed two Tu-22s with Sidewinders, and chased two others and gunned them down. Once finished and the picture was announced as clear, we RTB'ed. Hearing some of the commentary as a form of foreshadowing was quite interesting, though I was surprised that they thought this was only getting 'real' now. Anyway, I landed on the ship after one bolter(still struggling with the newly implemented burble). Overall, I really enjoyed this mission, and it was very cool to see in VR. I had never flown with six AIM-54s, and it was very exciting to fire them all off in the way the Tomcat was designed. I'm keen to try the future missions!

Mission 8:

Spoiler

Before I start on this one, I really wanted to enjoy this mission, but for some reason my headset had major problems that I had not seen before. And it crashed on me. It took about two hours before I got into this flight. Additionally, at my first attempt some things went wrong, not of my fault, and I chose to restart - I'll put that account in brackets). Nonetheless, I started up and launched. I loved the sunrise as I flew out, and it was impressive to have a flight of four. As we flew out to station, I listened to the flights ahead of us and readied for the scenario ahead. As we circled(in which in my first attempt wingman two and three collided with each other, so I was down to two) , we got a call to intercept a four ship. I approached, knowing there was an SA-2 in the area, and decided that I would launch a Phoenix and turn tail once it went pitbull, and re-engage further away from the SA-2. (In the first attempt, I approached and launched a Phoenix. I told my remaining wingman to engage. For some reason he didn't use the Phoenix and instead used Sparrows. As we came closer to the merge, my RWR showed the SA-2 on the outer ring, and I decided it was a better idea to bug out. I told my wingman to rejoin formation, which he ignored. I think he got two more Mig-23s, but was heading further inland, and was shot down. I thought about reapproaching, but the MiG-23 had gone inland, and I knew I wouldn't be able to get it. Although I 'lost' I don't consider it my fault, but more the AI's incapacity. I restarted). I launched my Phoenix according to the TWS-A, and notched away, keeping him at gimbal limits. Once the Phoenix went pitbull I turned cold, to re-engage later. As we flew away we accelerated to gain some distance, and looking over my shoulder and assessing from datalink, I decided it was time to re-engage. I realised my Phoenix had not hit, but that was OK. I commanded my flight to engage the bandits, confident enough that we were far enough away from the SAM. I launched off a Sparrow in boresight mode, and hit a Mig-23. My other wingmen hit two other Floggers, and I approached the last. Aware I had used two of my missiles, I chose to save them and get a guns kill, and sawed the Floggers in half. With all bandits splashed, I returned to station. Curiously, either I missed something or something didn't work properly, but I didn't hear a specific command to intercept the next targets. I only saw later Jaws stating we were on it. I was concerned since I didn't know where they were coming from. Nonetheless, I managed to find them and went to intercept the threeship of Mig-21s. Sadly(for some reason) F/A-18s from Chevy decided to cancel their RTB and attacked the Mig-21s, and cleared them before my Phoenix could land a hit. The mission completed, and I chose to quit. I don't want to blame anything because I know it can be a good level, but it felt like a lot of things went wrong that were no cause of my own, and far more the product of DCS AI. When I have rebuilt my patience I want to try this mission and get the full experience again. Besides, I had to get off the computer by this point since I spent so many hours troubleshooting.

Nonetheless, I loved the departure.

Otherwise of note I did see that our weapon loadout differed from what was in the brief. We're meant to have two AIM-7Ms, but according to DCS, one of them was an AIM-7F. 

In any case, I am over halfway, and keen to go further. I do wish I could do these missions in multiplayer though, and not have a bricks-for-brains RIO too!

Mission 9:

Spoiler

I really enjoyed this mission, and it was quite fun to fly without the Phoenixes(I know I've complained about the opposite!), but to fly with a mixed load of Sparrows and Sidewinders. As we flew up to waypoint 1 I was given the call to intercept a twoship flying hot at us. I quite enjoyed this intercept, since it was a good time for me to practice being in the RIO seat. As the MiGs turned cold I changed to pulse search and maintained lock. As we followed them I suspected we would be jumped on, so I kept a look around for any aircraft coming to intercept us. Of course, the radar emissions appeared on the RWR, so I decided to set my chaff program to AUTO, and hopefully leave it to my RWR. Once the Mig-21s turned hot on us, I commanded my wingmen to target one of them, while I focused on the other. I kept altitude and speed over the Fishbeds, and fired my Sparrow at around 9 or so miles, with my ACM guard flipped. As we went closer to the merge I looked up above my canopy bow to see multiple Sparrows rain down onto the Fishbeds. It's moments like these where VR feels very cool. All of our Sparrows impacted the MiG-21s, by which time we were being locked by the SA-6. We turned to our eight o'clock to engage the MiG-29s, or rather, I turned to face them while my wingmen turned when they felt ready. The high Fulcrum fired upon me first, and I turned away and decelerated. After a few seconds, I turned back into the fight and accelerated, defeating the missile and locking a Fulcrum. I fired off my Sparrow and successfully defeated him. I then went into the merge with the remaining Fulcrum, as we went into multiple vertical loops(with me somehow winning), in which I got a Fox 2 on him. I immediately turned around and headed to Waypoint 2. Presented with the option to stay on station, I noticed I still had 12,000lbs of fuel, so I knew I could hang around for a while(I've always made a point to try to be fuel efficient in cruise, keeping each engine fuel flow at around 3k lbs p/h). We were tasked to intercept a large aircraft(I think there was a bug since I didn't hear the Hawkeye call, but I did hear Jaws state direction and distance, fortunately). This wasn't too significant, since the Bear turned cold, and we went home. The return was largely uneventful, as I listened to a radio program that had a lot of laughing(I wasn't too sure what they were talking about...), and landed with a 2 wire. Still struggling to accommodate to the burble effect...

Overall I really enjoyed this mission, it was a good length of time, and it had the right amount of tension to it. 

Mission 10:

Spoiler

I loved the departure on this flight. It was exceptionally cool to fly as  a flight of four as we went to waypoint 1. The lighting reflecting off the Tomcats with the VF-84 livery was an amazing sight. I trimmed out the aircraft near perfectly, and I could afford to leave the stick basically still as I flew formation. Eventually, our lead Caveman spotted something, which turned out to be a submarine. It was quite fun to use the radar and lock it on the submarine(rather than an aircraft for a change), and look at it through TCS. We circled about, with Caveman reporting the submarine's intent. As we orbited, Caveman also reported a speed boat escaping. This was a little embarrassing for me, as when I came in for the guns kill, the gun didn't fire. I had to rapidly figure out what was wrong as I circled around for another shot, and it dawned on me I hadn't set air bleed, which was not my finest moment. Nonetheless, I eventually fired off a few rounds, and sunk the boat. As we continued to circle surface target, we were given a call to intercept a four ship. This was another cool sight, as the whole flight and I fired off Phoenixes, searing through the sky leaving a white trail. I believe all of us got a respective Phoenix kill, and we never got to the merge(which I suppose is how it's meant to be done). I then turned to the boat, and did a CASE III approach, landing with a 4 wire. I enjoyed the mission in that we did some formation flying, which I quite enjoy.

I have finished mission 11, and 12, so I will update later today.

I will update as I go through each mission. I have legitimately enjoyed the experience and it has truly given me a space of learning and developing my skills. I can only imagine the next few missions will only be more challenging!

Sadly it may be a little time before I go to the next few missions - the cable on my Reverb G2 is starting to have problems, and I'm struggling to get sustained flights out of the headset. It's very frustrating...

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by ToastedVengeance
Updated mission 10

So I've been flying with my girlfriend, and she's been learning RIO. 

One of the things I realised, perhaps user error on my part, is that it's very important to set target aspect. Setting target aspect NOSE can help a long way towards getting the Phoenix shot to succeed.

32 minutes ago, ToastedVengeance said:
  Hide contents

Just updated to Mission 7. Phoenixes worked!

Spoiler

Glad to hear it worked! It's quite easy to fail that mission, if you don't knock down the Backfires soon enough, they will overwhelm the battle group's defense system and the Roosevelt will be sunk.

Yeah Mission 7 is being quite the pain so far.

Aim-54's just not behaving like they used to- fire 6, lucky to get 3 hits.

Might have to try the Aspect switch to Nose

1 hour ago, ToastedVengeance said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just updated to Mission 7. Phoenixes worked!

Did you have Aspect switch set to Nose, or still in the default Beam selection?

Hey there,

It seems since the last update or two, that target aspect has become a lot more important. For reference, it's to do with doppler filtering, depending on the contact's speed.

Limits:

Nose - 1800 closing / 600 opening

Beam - 1200 closing / 1200 opening

Tail - 600 closing/ 1800 opening

Chances are if you're going near Mach 1 the closure rate will be near or greater than 1200 knots closing, so setting it to nose is a good idea. Additionally, you may benefit from setting target size to large, though I did not do that.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished the last mission. What can I say.....brilliant! I have experienced something new in each mission. There was something special in each of them. Story was great, entertaining and fun. Zone 5 is also great but that is different. When I want to get something serious then I would get that one but this was so entertaining. I have felt a long time ago when I was much younger that I really should get home from work just to finish the next mission.:)

I just hope there will be a part 2 some time. I love the Tomcat and this style of campaigns are the ones I enjoy the most. Serious but not too serious, fictional but not overly fictional like Rising Squall. 

Thanks Refleceted!

22 hours ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

+1000! Preferably on the Marianas or Syria map.

I wouldn't mind also a Yugoslavia map....if it would exist.

17 hours ago, Reflected said:

Thanks everyone, I’m so glad to see that the community likes it, I was a bit afraid that it would be too ‘Hollywood’ for DCS. 

I think there is a place for both approach. Most of the people here are aircraft fans. Sometimes I want to learn how it's done in reality sometimes I just want to have the feeling what I had as a kid when I fell in love with aviation. Both worlds can live nicely next to each other.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

On 6/21/2021 at 11:39 PM, ToastedVengeance said:

For reference, I'm a comparably new DCS pilot, having spent around 60 or so hours focussing on the F-14. I'm still learning, but enjoying the challenge.

Just curious - you´ve already spent around 60 hours in the F-14 before starting the campaign.
I don´t have that much time on it and most of my time is / was just flying it.

What would you say - how hard is the campaign and do you think it would be suitable for learning the F-14 "on the fly" ?

Edited by golani79

4 hours ago, golani79 said:

Just curious - you´ve already spent around 60 hours in the F-14 before starting the campaign.
I don´t have that much time on it and most of my time is / was just flying it.

What would you say - how hard is the campaign and do you think it would be suitable for learning the F-14 "on the fly" ?

As long as you can land the jet on the boat day and night, can follow basic WP and Tacan navigation, you'll be fine - AAR is a bonus.

• Thanks 1

Buy it, it is worth more as the half prize they sell it for at the moment. 

System: Asus ROG STRIX X570 , Ryzen 9 5900X , ASUS ROG STRIX LC 240 , 64 GB GSkill 3200 Trident Z , Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900 XT , Running SSD only

Input: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals , Track IR 5, VoiceAttac with Vaicom Pro, HP Reverb G2

DCS Open Beta , Nevada NTTR Map, Persian Gulf Map , Syria Map, F-14 Tomcat , F/A-18C Hornet , F-16 Viper, AV-8B Harrier, Supercarrier