DCS Download File Location

I just downloaded "Syria" and tried to install. I got an error message saying there is not enough space in the DCS Download folder. I emptied my computer download folder...still have the same issue.

Where/how can I find the DCS download folder so I can clear it out or, do I need to expand the size of the folder...how would I do that?

There is plenty of space on my computer hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

If you ever launched DCS on your computer, you should be able to find one of these:

• C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Logs\dcs.log
  • C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\dcs.log

Remember the file can appear as just "dcs".

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Separate Question:

With the last DCS World update, it seems that the "field of view" in my VR headset has gotten smaller-less field of view. More closed in I guess. I have the Valve Index headset. I also use them without glasses and have prescription lenses. Anyway, I can only bring the lenses back a curtain distance to my eyes before they touch my nose. I may have messed around in setting and this may have caused the issue-not sure.

Is there something I can do in DCS settings to get a wider field of view?

Thanks.....

Edited by Laika007

46 minutes ago, Laika007 said:

Ok, I was able to get to it this morning. It is attached.

DxDiag.txt 73.02 kB · 1 download

Thank you. This allows me to see you have only 27 GB left on your C:\ drive. You should do a bit of cleaning, or acquire another drive to be able to play DCS in good conditions.

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
      Drive: C:
 Free Space: 27.1 GB
Total Space: 487.8 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: KBG40ZNS512G NVMe KIOXIA 512GB

I stll need your dcs.log file to determine the location of your "_downloads" folder.

Since I don't use VR at all, I'll let someone else answer your last question. You may get a quicker response about VR over here.

@Laika007 also suggest you run WINDIRSTAT https://windirstat.net/download.html it's a small program that goes through hard drive and list sizes of folders. You may have some bloat that can be removed to get some free space.

Make sure you know what you are deleting!!!

Always go for folders that are named TEMP first.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

17 minutes ago, Laika007 said:

Thanks guys, I will see what I can do to get more space on the drive. If nothing else, I will need to get an external hard drive. 

That would normally be okay, but I'm afraid not with DCS. You will experience significantly longer load times, delays in texture streaming and possible stuttering in the middle of play. In additon, the external hard drive can be unreliable in terms of connection, the USB3 it self may not be an issue, but if you mess with the cables you could temporairly disconnect as the USB-A connectors can be loose already brand new from factory, including vendor specific error margins in the connector dimensions will make some very tight and some very loose by design not even counting wear-and-tear. I think USB-C is much better and the standard may also be more stringent. I'm not sure about external SSDs, never looked into that, but if you do, you make sure to get USB-C and make sure the motherboard also has a USB-C connector as well.

You should first check if your motherboard has a second NVME M2 slot where you could put another NVMe SSD there, however make sure if that slot goes to the chipset or the CPU, this should be explained in the motherboard manual, if it goes to the chipset it may work at a slower PCIe generation and thus you should buy a new one that's just enough for that, a faster SSD in that slot won't work, unless you swap the two SSDs around, the first slot should almost always be routed to the CPU for fastest performance. 512GB should be enough for DCS but you could go for a economic 1TB SSD as you wish.

The minimum DCS requirements now list a SSD device, HDDs are below the specs.

That said, you may have a lot of static data on the SSD currently that could very well be on a HDD, in that case yes you should get a HDD (or an external HDD), but not for DCS, for the data that you have on the current SSD to move there.

Edited by Worrazen
  • Thanks 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Thanks Flappie, Silverdevil and Warrazen....

So, I put in another hard drive - 4TB and it is formatted and i can see it under Local Disk C. So, now I am ready to download Syria to the computer. I tried, but because there is not enough room on the 'C" drive, I received the error message again. 

Flappie, I was able to find the download file, it is empty.

How do I change the download location for DCS downloads to a file on my new hard drive?

Thanks again in advance!

Is your new 4TB drive an NVMe, SSD or HDD? If you don't know, just attach a new dxdiag log.

If you new drive is fast (NVMe or SSD), you want to move your whole DCS main folder in it (not only the _downloads folder).

OK, then you should leave the whole game on your NVMe drive and move other things to your HDD drive. I'm not sure you can customize the location of the DCS "_downloads" folder.

If you have Steam games, I suggest you move your Steam root directory to your HDD.

Cool, let me give that a try. I guess I should have gotten another NVMe drive. Would that have been the preferred drive…..if so, I guess I would not have to move anything. Is that correct? I should be able to return this drive if that is the case. 

I will have to see if I have a dock for an additional NVMe

HDDs are less and less used because they slow machines down. Their sole pro now is their cheap price.

If your motherboard doesn't allow for a second NVMe drive, you can use a SSD instead: it's still way faster than an HDD.

Edited by Flappie

Thanks Flappie, I will pick up an SSD today and see how that works. Will that answer the issue with the space for the download folder? Will I need to move that folder to the SSD along with the entire DCS package? 

Yes, the "_downloads" folder is part of the main DCS folder. The best thing you can do is move this main DCS folder (called \DCS World\ or \DCS World OpenBeta\ depending on your installation) to your new drive.

Once this folder is moved, all you have to do is to modify DCS shortcuts so they lead you to the new location.

Ok, picked up a 2TB NVMe. Had to pull the one that was in the computer and have it images to the new NVMe. Reinstalled it with DCS on it, plenty of room. Was able to download Syria. Works great. 

thanks a ton for the assistance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see write ups on the new Marianas. I downloaded the ZIP file of maps. I do not see where to download the flight module. Where would I go to get that?

I guess it can only run in Beta...is that correct?