Rudder Trim Help

dresoccer4

The most Helos dont have Trim in the Pedals. The stay where you left them.

But as known there are some Bugs with FFB Sticks atm.

I just can higly recoment getting Pedals for Flying Helo, it will change the experience dramiticly. I use the MFG Crosswind with a Damper. When flying helos i hang out the spring and have a perfekt feeling for the Pedals then. AND no need for a trimmer then 🙂

16 hours ago, Grennymaster said:

I just can higly recoment getting Pedals for Flying Helo, it will change the experience dramiticly. I use the MFG Crosswind with a Damper. When flying helos i hang out the spring and have a perfekt feeling for the Pedals then. AND no need for a trimmer then 🙂

Can I ask you a question? I've been fighting the YAW SAS channel forever now, and I've been thinking of simply getting rid of the spring in my pedals. Do you fly with the YAW SAS Channel off?

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

As far as I've understood, springless pedals do not work that well with DCS implementation of Yaw SAS , if I'm not mistaken the Yaw channel activates when there's no pedal input, which is detected in DCS when the pedals are centered. So the Yaw channel would be off most of the time with springless pedals. I need to test that theory 🙂

EDIT : I just tested, indeed the rudder needs to be centered for the Yaw channel to activate

Edited by Whisper
  • Thanks 1

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Am 16.9.2021 um 14:26 schrieb Lurker:

Can I ask you a question? I've been fighting the YAW SAS channel forever now, and I've been thinking of simply getting rid of the spring in my pedals. Do you fly with the YAW SAS Channel off?

of course you can. i have it turned on always.

In the German Flightbook form the NVA, it is higly mentiont that on startup you never ever toch any of the controls and keep the rudder in center. I do that all the time and havent got any problem with the SAS since. in hard wind conditions it can be that you have to push the pedall relativ far to get the bird fly strait, is far as i could read out in the Manual this is normal and comes out as mostly left input of rudder. its in assosiation with the way the main Rotor is build.

the Yaw SAS is not a very new one, it helps to sabelies the Bird, but ist a big and heavy bird.

since i hang out the Spring while flying Helos i have a better feeling for the rear 🙂 but i think this is a personal one

Am 15.9.2021 um 22:02 schrieb Grennymaster:

Bingo!👍

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I've removed the spring from my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals and it works like a dream in the Mi24p. Takes some getting used to, but they work surprisingly well. Air starts are a no go though as the pedals are not centered usually. Still makes the helicopter very controllable, especially if you can get them to the correct tension settings so that the inputs are smooth and precise. The take-offs and landings are a bit harder now because you don't have the YAW channel to assist you but I think it's how the real pilots do it anyway. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 8:09 PM, Lurker said:

I've removed the spring from my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals and it works like a dream in the Mi24p. Takes some getting used to, but they work surprisingly well. Air starts are a no go though as the pedals are not centered usually. Still makes the helicopter very controllable, especially if you can get them to the correct tension settings so that the inputs are smooth and precise. The take-offs and landings are a bit harder now because you don't have the YAW channel to assist you but I think it's how the real pilots do it anyway. 

How does this modification affect you flying jets and other stuff?

I have these pedals myself and if you can give me an advice how to take out the spring, I would probably do it.

4 hours ago, Rongor said:

How does this modification affect you flying jets and other stuff?

I have these pedals myself and if you can give me an advice how to take out the spring, I would probably do it.

I imagine it would make it very awkward. I haven't been flying jets lately. Mostly helicopters, or rather mostly the Hind. I'll probably put it back in one of these days when I get tired of the choppers (which probably won't be anytime soon, as I'm still crap with most of them, so I got a lot of learning to do yet) 

If you regularly fly both, I don't think it's a good idea to remove the spring. The backplate of the pedals has literally over 20 screws and it takes forever to unscrew the thing and screw it back together. The whole process though is very easy, unscrew the backplate, remove the spring (using pliers), screw the backplate back on. Voila. 

Edited by Lurker

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I imagine it would make it very awkward. I haven't been flying jets lately. Mostly helicopters, or rather mostly the Hind. I'll probably put it back in one of these days when I get tired of the choppers (which probably won't be anytime soon, as I'm still crap with most of them, so I got a lot of learning to do yet) 

If you regularly fly both, I don't think it's a good idea to remove the spring. The backplate of the pedals has literally over 20 screws and it takes forever to unscrew the thing and screw it back together. The whole process though is very easy, unscrew the backplate, remove the spring (using pliers), screw the backplate back on. Voila. 

Ok, then I should probably leave it as is. I am pretty used to the unrealistic tension keeping of my feet when maintaining attitude flying the helos meanwhile. As I am doing pretty well controlling the Hind in slow and low hover situations and also often fly the jets, it seems like the minor issue, compared to those 20 screws. Thank you!

Edited by Rongor

One thing I've noticed after flying around abit:

When looking at the controls indicator in the upper left corner, it appears I'm mostly never allowed full rudder/yaw deflection, that is when I apply full left rudder the indicator on the upper left shows me only applying 60-70% of that. Why is that? 

I've often been unable to apply the required amount of rudder to execute a maneuver because of this artificial limit to my inputs. 

• 2 weeks later...
2021/8/15 AM4点06分,dresoccer4说:

so at least 3 of us are having the same issue, all with FFB sticks. Sounds like a bug here. It seems the "rudder trimmer" option in the special menu isn't actually doing anything.

Can someone from DCS confirm this is the case, or are we all doing something wrong?

2021/8/15 AM2点34分,YeaImRota说:

I'm having the exact same issue, also using FFB. 

2021/8/14 PM10点35分,26-J39说:

Sounds like a bug if u cant trim the rudders when selected in the options.  Unless its a weird controller issue.

2021/8/14 PM3点16分,Dr_Arrow说:

I am also using FFB and indeed with FFB enabled, due to some reason, rudder trimmer is not working even when on in the special menu.

A rough guess here. Could the bug be that all trimming of Mi24 is wrongly realized through FFB method once any one FFB device is detected? As a result, the rudder with no FFB would just turn back to center and give inputs in according with their physical position (of center), instead of staying in position by FFB like the program "thinks" it should be.

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, Torbernite said:

A rough guess here. Could the bug be that all trimming of Mi24 is wrongly realized through FFB method once any one FFB device is detected? As a result, the rudder with no FFB would just turn back to center and give inputs in according with their physical position (of center), instead of staying in position by FFB like the program "thinks" it should be.

no clue! I don't have ffb rudder pedals so couldn't test your theory. 

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, ttenor12 said:

Same issue here with an FFB stick 5 months after the creation of this post.

Using twist axis? I use FFB, but only run a joystick gremlin profile that turns off rudder AP when it’s within 19% of center, that way it never goes into heading hold mode. The issue seems to be that when it tries to hold heading and exceeds the 18% authority the AP has, it trims the pedals instead(which is what the real Mi-24 would do). I never have this issue after using this profile. If you don’t want to download joystick gremlin and vjoy and run my profile best option might be to not use yaw AP or re trim the pedals whenever possible 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 1/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Using twist axis? I use FFB, but only run a joystick gremlin profile that turns off rudder AP when it’s within 19% of center, that way it never goes into heading hold mode. The issue seems to be that when it tries to hold heading and exceeds the 18% authority the AP has, it trims the pedals instead(which is what the real Mi-24 would do). I never have this issue after using this profile. If you don’t want to download joystick gremlin and vjoy and run my profile best option might be to not use yaw AP or re trim the pedals whenever possible 

Yes, I still don't have pedals unfortunately, so I'm stuck using a twist axis of the Sidewinder FFB 2. Will try the solution you have provided, though I trialed the Hind. Will most likely wait until it's out of early access.