Difference/priority between Mixed Reality Portal, OpenXR and SteamVR - HP Reverb G2

NightstalkerNOR

Hello. I recently bought the HP Reverb G2, coming from the Oculus Rift S. 

I'm struggling understanding the difference between, and use of the Mixed Reality Portal, OpenXR and SteamVR. They all seem to do the same, but I cannot seem to understand what one of them does better or different than the other. Several posts suggest to use both SteamVR and OpenXR, while some refer to the MRP, or just OpenXR. Also, I do not need to start steam to make DCS run in VR. It will then use the default HP VR app.

-What are the benefits of using SteamVR or any of the other apps beside the HP default one?

-Is there some sort of priority between them, making one of the apps override the settings of another? If so, do I have to start the apps in a certain way before launching DCS?

EDIT: I also have Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR in the Steam Library. When would I use this? also

Edited by NightstalkerNOR

You do need and use Steam VR with WMR.

You do not need or use Open XR - it is not supported in DCS.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just now, NightstalkerNOR said:

Most efficient response I've ever seen in the forum. Good job, and many thanks!

You are most welcome, have fun!

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just now, NightstalkerNOR said:

Also, will I have to manually launch WMR, or will it run its settings in the background when launching SteamVR through steam?

Some folks do it different ways. I have switched to a Vive Pro 2 now so no longer have it, but what I would always do is the following:

Have Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR installed ( get it from the Steam Store). 

When I powered on headset, the regular WMR would launch. I would close that down, then launch WMR for Steam VR. That launched both programs.

I would then put on the headset and launch DCS.

That method always seemed to work trouble free for me.

• Like 3

Don B

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

Some folks do it different ways. I have switched to a Vive Pro 2 now so no longer have it, but what I would always do is the following:

Have Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR installed ( get it from the Steam Store). 

When I powered on headset, the regular WMR would launch. I would close that down, then launch WMR for Steam VR. That launched both programs.

I would then put on the headset and launch DCS.

That method always seemed to work trouble free for me.

Fantastic. Seems to work. Thank you again! 🙂

I just plug the power box in for my G2 and wait for WMR to open.  Then I get into my gaming position, double-click my DCS icon, pull the G2 down over my eyes, and wait for the exploding triangles.  A few seconds after that, you're in DCS in VR.  You don't have to do the intermediate step of closing WMR and then opening SteamVR For WMR.  SteamVR For WMR will open automatically when a Steam VR application is opened and you have WMR running.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Just to confuse things, I have to do things a little differently. For me, Steam VR launches when WMR launches. I need to shut this down until I start DCS and then let it start again automatically, as if I don't do this, my mouse cursor will be unresponsive on the DCS GUI in VR. Also, beware , if you start WMR, and have your sound settings other than default, windows will handily reset it to default. In my case, I output DCS to my headphones and Mic, which is " realtek 2nd audio device" in my windows sound options. So I need to remember to go to sound settings and re set this before I start my mission, otherwise I have no headphones sound.......

Its all a bit clunky......but you get used to it

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

2 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

I just plug the power box in for my G2 and wait for WMR to open.  Then I get into my gaming position, double-click my DCS icon, pull the G2 down over my eyes, and wait for the exploding triangles.  A few seconds after that, you're in DCS in VR.  You don't have to do the intermediate step of closing WMR and then opening SteamVR For WMR.  SteamVR For WMR will open automatically when a Steam VR application is opened and you have WMR running.

Same method for me.   Plug in G2...WMR starts automatically...Launch DCS... WMR for Steamvr and Steamvr launch automatically

Re the loss of mouse within VR.  In WMR settings do set to manual for switching between VR and desktop mouse (with the Windows+Y key).  It handles badly otherwise and you often lose the mouse within DCS.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Steam traditionally uses OpenVR standard which was initially developed for the HTC Vive platform, but they are transitioning everything to OpenXR which will cover all AR and VR platforms including mobile devices.  And this means that Steam will likely sell mobile VR apps/games in their store in the near future.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

When i read all this I like my Oculus Rift S even more, just click and go... Life can be simple.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

17 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

When i read all this I like my Oculus Rift S even more, just click and go... Life can be simple.

yeah just wait until facebook puts adds throught your rift 🙂  Or until you figure out what they do with data they gather on you.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I can still hold that off for another 1,5 year. By then i'll get something new or some fake Fxckbook account (i don't have one now, not even What's App like so many are using).

For the rest... i don't have much data to give away. Nothing Oculus is running (not even a single service) when i don't play and then i almost exclusively play DCS. So...

I just wonder what Steam knows about you looking on how it nests itself quite deep into Windows.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

The G2 is just as easy once you have the software you need installed.  We all needed to work through that learning curve on our Oculus HMDs too, we just quickly forgot about that initial hassle once everything was working.  The G2 is the same way. 😎

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...

Well. To be frank, this topic was only to clarify how to run the HP-reverb to get the most out of it. No issues here, other than the need to understand what different apps to use with the headset. Oculus "needs" the Oculus Tray Tool, so i wouldnt say it's any more "click and go" than HP...