BACK TO SQUARE ONE WITH MY GPU - END OF AN ERA WITH DCS

I sent my graphics processor back to the manufacturer about twenty days ago. I knew it was no longer under warranty and I was willing to pay to have it repaired. They turned it around and sent it right back to me. I know they took it out of the box, but I think that was about all they did before sending it back to me and saying it was fine. I then called an independent nationwide company that advertises GPU repair. They informed me they do not repair those devices. Conclusion: Nobody repairs these ridiculously expensive devices. So, I either find a way to repair it myself, and that may not be possible or practical, or I sit on my hands and wait for the prices to come down from two-and-a-half times normal, to something resembling normal again. I had better not hold my breath since that is not likely to happen. Conclusion: I have lost one of my principal hobbies. I cannot “game” anymore on the “gaming computer” I built. I can no longer use Digital Combat Simulator, or anything else like it. Why? I know there is a chip shortage, but I blame Bitcoin for the destruction of the GPU market for gamers. It comes down to greed and ego. I could go on about what I think of gaming industry equipment manufacturers quality versus price, but I will not. Thankfully, I have other hobbies and interests.

• Like 6

Interesting, but you know, if y our card was not under warranty chances are it is not the latest one, right? You can always buy a used one for decent money, that depends where you sit though. Just a thought. I feel you man. I rushed my GTX1080Ti sale when I ordered RTX and then was informed nobody knows when these arrive. I was out of gaming for 3 months before I secured a good price RTX.

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Right, it's an RX-580, but it did the job, and lasted all of two years, and I babied it. Thanks for the advice about buying used. The question is "used" or "abused" sort of like buying a car. You just never know. But thanks again.

• Like 1

I've had mostly failure, but some success with these sort of repairs. Depends on what is wrong with it. 

I'd start by looking for any damaged parts and determining if the card gets any power at all.

If you have a multimeter, you could start by checking the fuses on the board. 

This could be a start of a new hobby for you. Replacing tiny SMD parts like those fuses is easy with a quality soldering iron with a sharp point and tweezers.

If you can narrow it down, you might find an easy fix online for common problems with that card.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/trying-to-fix-a-dead-rx-580/

• Like 2

ASUS Z390 / Intel i7-9700K / 32 GB DDR4 / 1080Ti / HP Reverb 2 / Thrustmaster WH&TPR

Heath and Allen Zedi8 / TrackIR / Momo USB monitor / Akai MPD218

Right, it's an RX-580, but it did the job, and lasted all of two years, and I babied it. Thanks for the advice about buying used. The question is "used" or "abused" sort of like buying a car. You just never know. But thanks again.
Have you tried to cook/bake it?
One of mine just died, luckily I had two.
So, I'll probaly try it as I have nothing to lose.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wilbur81 said:

This is VERY much not true...

Depends where you sit. Plenty of good value GTX 1080Ti / RTX 2080 /Ti I see when I look. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

11 hours ago, Langrenus said:

As MAXsenna suggests, I'd try baking the card if you haven't anything to lose.

It may work...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

Depends where you sit. Plenty of good value GTX 1080Ti / RTX 2080 /Ti I see when I look. 

I guess it depends on what a "good value" is to you. To me, paying for a used GPU on Ebay a price higher than its original msrp is not a good value.

image.png

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 2

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I guess it depends on what a "good value" is to you. To me, paying for a used GPU on Ebay a price higher than its original msrp is not a good value.
image.thumb.png.939d1a24c11945d8a8f746b50bb43b8c.png
Eye of the beholder. Supply and demand.
It's extremely annoying, yes!
I'll pretend it's vintage...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Dang, those prices look absurd. I bought one of those shortly before the 30 series released, and I paid less than 500$. 

The good news is, Chinese are cracking down on Bitcoin and its ilk. With some luck, it'll crash and burn and GPU prices will come down.

• Like 2

Yes, the Chinese government move will likely ease the market, prices (although still $Stupid$), are coming down. 

I'd still try the "baking GPU in an oven" method for the OP though, as a last gasp attempt. BTW, I'm flying around Normandy on a Fx6300 and a GTX970, low to medium settings. Got me into the DCS world.

Edited by 72Stu
Spellinz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

could always try looking around facebook market, some people offload old gaming rigs, might find one for cheaper than a used card, rip the card out and well..i guess youd have spare parts lol. Obviously, never know how it was ran, but might find something usable without spending a ton /shrug.

I know the feeling though, my entire PC is in a box and all my gaming stuff is stored away as im in between moving, could be a month, could be 3-4...really blows

• Like 1

IL-2: sturmovik | Microsoft Flight Sim | DCS

P40 Kittyhawk - More US Please | Bush Planes - Single Prop | AV-8B - M2000C - F-5E

VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base | VPC Control Panel - #2 | VPC Constellation ALPHA-R

MFG Crosswinds | Rseat S1 | NRG FRP-600WT

On 6/22/2021 at 8:46 PM, Langrenus said:

They turned it around and sent it right back to me. I know they took it out of the box, but I think that was about all they did before sending it back to me and saying it was fine.

Could it be just a case of a faulty PSU? In my case, the moment the GPU starts to draw more power, the PC just reboots. I had it replaced with a new one - with supposedly better quality capacitors and it had been working well ever since.

It appears to me that GPU prices are starting to drop and new inventory is hanging around longer. If it continues to do so, I may get an upgrade end of the year. 🙂