Is DCS World Going to get FidelityFX Super Resolution by AMD

Gumbie

According to Linus Tech Tips video on YouTube Says " The FidelityFX Super Is easy to implement to game engine, Reportedly it took one Developer under two hours to implement it to their game!" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

btw: It's not new resolution. It's just an antialiasing/upscaling method. I don't think blurred 4K is something a lot of simmers is waiting for but maybe VR...

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

IMHO FSR is a complete game changer in the gaming industry and it would be a shame and a waste of recources if Ed would not take the benefit of this new and open source based technology.

FSR implementation only took one day...

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-preview,1.html

etc,etc.

Edited by Semor76
  • Like 3

forum.png

I'd be interested to know how much average CPU overhead there is at the quality setting.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

4 hours ago, Slice313 said:

In the Italian sub-forum, a dev hinted that support is on the table? Looks promising 😍

Can you give a link pls. My Italian is a bit rusty....

forum.png

The initial games that launched with FSR support were not exactly top rated AAA. 

If ED wanted a plethora of free marketing they would be wise to include FSR in the coming months and enjoy the hype and free press they would get.   

-- At this point it looks like introducing FSR would be less technically challenging than Vulkan? -- 

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 4
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

On 6/24/2021 at 1:32 AM, M1Combat said:

I'd be interested to know how

long it'll take for people to quit spamming the forum with the latest sales brochures @@

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

16 hours ago, Slice313 said:

Here is the capture, I cannot find the link now...

OK, someone translated (in the browser probably) this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/194994-voprosy-k-razrabotchikam/?do=findComment&comment=4685009

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 6/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, draconus said:

btw: It's not new resolution. It's just an antialiasing/upscaling method. I don't think blurred 4K is something a lot of simmers is waiting for but maybe VR...

It's not antialiasing, it's really just upscaling (like DLSS is). Those methods are getting quite good at producing upscaled image based on synthetically generated base images (i.e. games) and does not make them blurry (depending on settings of course, but the higher quality settings do not). It's actually something that has been done for a long time in higher res TVs and such (i.e. upscaling 1080p to 4K), but the task is much more challenging for synthetic images than real video images (like TV).

FSR and DLSS both cannot be used for antialiasing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, toilet2000 said:

does not make them blurry (depending on settings of course, but the higher quality settings do not)

The detail info is lost during downscaling. Same as upscaling cannot make up this info to make proper sharp image. That's why I call it blurry. But it might look better (prefered) than native without antialiasing and with worse performance. That was my point.

FidelityFX Super Resolution looks like to be a far better solution qualitywise and in particular performancewise than ´VR PD´ at DCS setting we got for for VR or setting VR render resolution per eye within SteamVR.

It reads like FidelityFX Resolution could make both, VR PD in DCS and SteamVR render resolution obsolete for getting best results in picture quality and performance.

So yes, if ED Devs could implement: +1 to go for!

• Like 2

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

4 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

long it'll take for people to quit spamming the forum with the latest sales brochures @@

No...

How much CPU overhead there is at the quality setting :).  

Sometimes sales brochures are a good thing...  They just need to be vetted for context first.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I have a hard time seeing the value add of any supersampling/upscaling. As was stated upscaling/downscaling results in a loss of information. If the end goal of this technology is to achieve a clearer picture, why not just get a display with a higher native resolution?

Aircraft:

A-10C|A-10C II|AV-8B N/A|AJS-37|F-14|F-15E|F-16C|F/A-18C|FC3|P-51D

KA-50|Mi-24P|SA-342|UH-1H|AH-64D

Terrains:

Syria|Persian Gulf|Normandy|NTTR|Sinai

5 minutes ago, HalasKor said:

I have a hard time seeing the value add of any supersampling/upscaling. As was stated upscaling/downscaling results in a loss of information. If the end goal of this technology is to achieve a clearer picture, why not just get a display with a higher native resolution?

Goal of these technologies is to provide minimal detail loss while significantly boosting frames per second.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, XPACT said:

Goal of these technologies is to provide minimal detail loss while significantly boosting frames per second.

So a more efficient supersampling technology?

Aircraft:

A-10C|A-10C II|AV-8B N/A|AJS-37|F-14|F-15E|F-16C|F/A-18C|FC3|P-51D

KA-50|Mi-24P|SA-342|UH-1H|AH-64D

Terrains:

Syria|Persian Gulf|Normandy|NTTR|Sinai

11 minutes ago, HalasKor said:

So a more efficient supersampling technology?

It's a different concept, with supersampling you are always getting better picture quality since you have more information to work with but sacrifice a lot of performance in the process.

With these you are actually rendering game at lower resolution and then upscaling that with advanced algorithms or machine learning to get best looking image while producing more frames per second but you will always lose detail compared to native. Many people prefer detail loss with frames per second gain especially when sometimes difference between native and these is only perceivable by comparing them side by side.

Edited by XPACT

22 hours ago, draconus said:

The detail info is lost during downscaling. Same as upscaling cannot make up this info to make proper sharp image. That's why I call it blurry. But it might look better (prefered) than native without antialiasing and with worse performance. That was my point.

Then blurry isn't the term. Even if information is lost, nothing garantees that this "lost" information was useful to make a sharp image to begin with. That's the goal of upscaling, we don't see individual pixels, we see patterns. If you can upscale and preserve sharp patterns, then that "lost" information wasn't very useful for us. That's actually the basis of lossy compression like JPEG (when using a more quality-friendly compression).

At the end of the day, if your upscaling method is blurry, it failed at upscaling.

This thing barely just got released ... what's the rush. Sorry if I'm spoiling the excitement a bit with a different take on this.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 5:42 AM, draconus said:

I'm curious if you have had a chance to try fidelityFX personally? 

I have a top 1% spec PC (Ryzen 9 5900x / sapphire 6900XT). I run DCS 4k with an average of 88FPS (max settings.) 

I tried fidelityFX CAS with cyberpunk, subjectively, it works amazingly well. No instance of blurriness. 

• 1 month later...

You all probably already know but just in case: there is an opensource allowing to use FSR on VR. It does mod the OpenVR.dll used by Steam VR. (implementation in DCS desktop mode still needs to be handled by ED for it to work with the Game graphic engine.

Here the link to the GIThub https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr

I've tried it with Pimax 5K+ (in the normal Field of view mode, 72Hz) and that's improving performances to a point where I can fly an F14 in multiplayer at Ramat David Airbase with Pixel density at 2 (smooth, stable 45/50FPS) and almost smooth at 2.5.... (40/45FPS).

Even though I do have a solid config (5900X + 6900XT + 32GB) there is NO WAY I could have managed that without FSR without drastically reducing the graphics quality (here I'm only turning SSLR SSAO off MSAA x2, no SSAA).

If you are in VR you have to try. 

Edited by staniflette
  • Thanks 1