Mi-24P videos: flying "by the book"

Viktor_UHPK

Hi everyone. 

I have started a new series of videos about the Mi-24P. I know that there are a lot of tutorials around - and that's great. I personally try to stay as close to the real world manual as possible. Depending on demand (and my amount of free time) I will publish more content like this. Enjoy.

1. Running landing

2. Vertical landing in ground effect (IGE)

Edited by Viktor_UHPK
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

• Viktor_UHPK changed the title to Mi-24P videos: flying "by the book"

Thanks very much Viktor!

Great video and much appreciated! S.

• Like 1

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

Thanks for this video! Definitely looking forward to more, subscribed and notifications enabled.

You should post this to Hoggit on Reddit, it will have more visibility.

• Like 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

4 hours ago, Wychmaster said:

Thanks a lot. Great video. Is it possible that you can make a by the books cold start tutorial for both seats?

Thank you for the kind feedback! Yes, in fact I planned to make a video that shows the complete startup procedure by the book (it's long!). However some systems still don't work in early access, so I will wait a little longer until they are implemented. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Mi-8 training videos

Nice, waiting for the next one.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

3 hours ago, mwd2 said:

Can you give us some more standard flight parameter for the Hind - like:

- normal cruise speed and altitude,
- normal AOB for a nav turn?

You can really cruise at any altitude that suits the mission, up to ceiling.

Recommended cruise speeds:

Sea level: 240-280

500m: 240-280

1000m: 240-270

2000m: 210-240

3000m: 210

For turn angles during the enroute part I can not really find any recommended values. If you do precision navigation, then your bank angles will depend on the turn radius that you want to achieve. Generally 15° is a value that you will often find and I see no reason why you should turn with higher bank angles during enroute flight.

1 hour ago, Stratos said:

I like this tutorials, it's me or the Hind need really long approaches more similar to plane ones than helicopters? Or I'm doing something wrong?

I'm sure that both the Mi-24 and the Mi-8 can be flown in a more western way. Maybe it's even more effective. It's just not documented and it's not how the Soviets / Russians did/do it. I personally enjoy that part about DCS. Learning the rules, procedures, techniques and basically the flying culture of the former eastern block.

But you should also consider that both helicopters are pretty heavy and it simply takes more time to reduce speed for landing. Also, the engines are relatively big and require more time to spool up. That's why you fly them more conservatively and just take your time on approach.  I'm sure that a Huey was flown differently than a CH-53 in Vietnam. With the CH-53 being more on the "airplane type approach" side.

I hope that helped, guys!

• Like 2

My Mi-8 training videos

17 minutes ago, Viktor_UHPK said:

I'm sure that both the Mi-24 and the Mi-8 can be flown in a more western way. Maybe it's even more effective. It's just not documented and it's not how the Soviets / Russians did/do it. I personally enjoy that part about DCS. Learning the rules, procedures, techniques and basically the flying culture of the former eastern block.

But you should also consider that both helicopters are pretty heavy and it simply takes more time to reduce speed for landing. Also, the engines are relatively big and require more time to spool up. That's why you fly them more conservatively and just take your time on approach.  I'm sure that a Huey was flown differently than a CH-53 in Vietnam. With the CH-53 being more on the "airplane type approach" side.

I hope that helped, guys!

It sure it does!

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

On 6/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, Viktor_UHPK said:

Thank you everyone!

Your feedback motivates me to put more work into new video.

The next one is online:

Vertical landing in ground effect (IGE)

Very clean hover landing, minimal roll on the wheels.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.