Custom Warthog Throttle Faceplate

LooseCannon

So long story short, about a year ago I bought a custom TM Warthog faceplate from a gentleman who sells them on eBay for about 40 USD, and while I was initially pleased with it, it had some labels that really didn't work for me (i.e. INTR Wing Inhibit, etc.). It was also 3mm thick which made it too rigid to bend when installing or removing it.  In fact, I actually broke a piece of it off. 

I primarily fly the Hornet, so I designed and created my own after purchasing and heavily modifying a K40 Laser earlier this year.  It took several iterations to get to where it is now, but I am happy with the result.  It's 1.5 mm white acrylic painted matte black.  The design utilizes the LEDs on the base.  I just wish TM had put more LEDs to make all the labels backlit.  Now that I have the design perfected, I can make additional plates for other aircraft in DCS.  I'm thinking about selling them for those that are looking for something customizable at an affordable price point.

Would love to get some feedback.

IMG_1291.JPG

Here it is on the base:

IMG_E1277.JPG

IMG_E1276.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice job! Any idea on a price? To eliminate having to flex around the throttles you can delete the section to the left of the throttles (above the flaps to just below the label). It performs no function and makes mounting it much easier. Your location, as shipping will play a big part..

Edited by GaryR
  • Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Thanks GaryR!

That's a good suggestion for the flex.  I could remove the top semi-circular segment around the Flap button and that would definitely make it easier to install/uninstall and eliminate the potential for damage.  I'll play around with that on one of my prototypes.

For pricing, I'm thinking it will be a two-tiered structure.  For a stock design $20, for customized labels $30.  Shipping would be separate. I'm in the US on the east coast for reference.

I still need to do some research on commonly used button assignments for other aircraft to come up with additional stock designs. 

DM me if you're interested.

3 hours ago, aelfewulf said:

Looks cool! 
can u show the reverse side?

Thanks aelfewulf!  Here you go:

IMG_1292.JPG

• Thanks 1

Yes, like this. No structural or aesthetic reason for it at all.. Your pricing is excellent, shipping to EU would add quite a bit bewteen VAT, Import, etc.. 😔

Modded Warthog plate.jpg

Edited by GaryR
  • Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

• 3 weeks later...

OH Yeah! I like this one way better than the one I got off ebay.. The lights do NOT work with his at all. And I always wondered why use INTR WING Inhibit on the plate, when Launch Bar makes way more sense.

How do I get one sent to San Diego?

(Edit: I would like the original design with the details around the flap switch)

Edited by Antix70

• 2 weeks later...

Having received my faceplate, I have to say I really like it. The Hornet logo is a nice touch. The LED backlighting is ON POINT, where the ebay throttle faceplate much of the text did not line up with the lighting. LooseCannon has put attention to detail where it comes to the backlighting.

I personally HATE the target software, and wish there was a way to control the lighting via keyboard keybind. TM puts way too much reliability in their unreliable software IMHO. Every time I open that software, do what I need to do (usually adjust backlighting) and exit, my Joystick stops responding, I have to unplug and replug it in for it to be recognized again.

My throttle had, for some reason, some very slight alignment issues, some of the holes in the faceplate wouldn't line up, like 1/64" off. LooseCannon fixed that right up with the second version. I guess some slightly expanded tolerances will help with manufacturing variances on TM's part so that one part fits all throttles.

Overall, I REALLY like the plate. Having launch bar control on there makes more sense than the INTR WING inhibit, which I never used.

I would post photos, but nothing I took photos of looked much different than what LooseCannon posted above. What you see is what you get. The quality is there, the functionality is there, there isn't that much more to show.

Overall, I would recommend if you fly the hornet and rely on labels.

In order to make DCSWorld recognize the two top switches for ON/OFF programming, you will need to add a couple lines of code to your DEFAULT.LUA in your FA-18 folder... (PATH \~~\~~\~~\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick)

I usually paste this code around the 880 Line Number in the LUA (near ED's code for special switches)...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Special input for 3-pos 2-signals switches on joystick F/A-18 Thrustmaster --------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{   down = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw, 					up = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw, 					cockpit_device_id = devices.SMS, 				value_down =  1.0, 	value_up = 0.0, name = _('Master Arm Switch (special) - ARM/SAFE'), 					category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Instrument Panel'), _('Master Arm Panel')}},
{   down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, 						up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, 					cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, 										name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle (special) - UP/DOWN'), 			category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},

You can save this file, because when DCS updates, this code occassionally gets overwritten: default.lua F18 Special Switch Enable

Edited by Antix70
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Antix70 said:

Having received my faceplate, I have to say I really like it. The Hornet logo is a nice touch. The LED backlighting is ON POINT, where the ebay throttle faceplate much of the text did not line up with the lighting. LooseCannon has put attention to detail where it comes to the backlighting.

I personally HATE the target software, and wish there was a way to control the lighting via keyboard keybind. TM puts way too much reliability in their unreliable software IMHO. Every time I open that software, do what I need to do (usually adjust backlighting) and exit, my Joystick stops responding, I have to unplug and replug it in for it to be recognized again.

Curious, what Firmware version is in your HOTAS? Mine is 23, and  I have no issues with TARGET GUI to adjust the LED level or with Running/Stopping the "WarthogThrottleALLSwitchPoc.tmc" file that makes every switch\button\hat position on my Throttle seen by DCS without messing with LUA files.. another issue may be your USB Hub, or are you plugged directly into the motherboard ports?

Edited by GaryR

I'd like to say a special thanks for Antix70 for his patience as I worked through several issues with some of the hole tolerances and unfortunately some issues with the postal service damaging the plate in transit.  He has made some very good recommendations which I am incorporating into an updated design.  Primarily, shortening and widening the section above the flap lever to strengthen it and also make it much easier to install/remove the plate without risk of breakage.

For those of you outside the US, I'm currently exploring several options for handling international shipping to keep the price as low as possible. 

Hoping to post some pics of the new design and provide more information later this week.

If anyone has some ideas on useful labels for other aircraft, I'd appreciate it.  I'd like to have some alternatives to the stock plate besides the Hornet. 

Also, I am curious if anyone uses TARGET software to illuminate the LEDs for the 5 white circles and if so, what functions do you use with them?  Labeling them could be another customization option, but I have never used them and don't know what would work best, or if it would even be useful.

5 hours ago, Martin1454 said:

Would it be an idea to use 2 sets of magnets instead of bolts to fasten it with? that way you could have an plate for the F-18, A-10, F-16 etc that is quick change 🙂

That could work, although my throttle base has some glue like residue from the original that holds the plate rather well and I can easily remove it with the tip of a thin flathead screw driver.  I really don't need to use the screws to keep it in place.  Not sure if others have the same thing or not, but magnets could definitely work.  I would go with a weak magnet though.  Too strong and it could cause the acrylic to crack or break.

Edited by LooseCannon

On 8/1/2021 at 1:57 AM, GaryR said:

Curious, what Firmware version is in your HOTAS? Mine is 23, and  I have no issues with TARGET GUI to adjust the LED level or with Running/Stopping the "WarthogThrottleALLSwitchPoc.tmc" file that makes every switch\button\hat position on my Throttle seen by DCS without messing with LUA files.. another issue may be your USB Hub, or are you plugged directly into the motherboard ports?

My throttle firmware is 23, my stick firmware is 11.

I was unaware of the tmc file you speak of, I've never run any programs into my hardware via the target software. Like I said, I don't trust their software, a quirk of mine that exists from all the way back in the TM WCS days, way before USB when joystick ports were used. I've used thrustmaster products since about 1992.

My stick, throttle, and TPR pedals are plugged into a powered USB3.0 hub.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:37 AM, LooseCannon said:

I'd like to say a special thanks for Antix70 for his patience as I worked through several issues with some of the hole tolerances and unfortunately some issues with the postal service damaging the plate in transit.  He has made some very good recommendations which I am incorporating into an updated design.  Primarily, shortening and widening the section above the flap lever to strengthen it and also make it much easier to install/remove the plate without risk of breakage.

I'm very happy to help! I love supporting community efforts!

Edited by Antix70

9 hours ago, Antix70 said:

My throttle firmware is 23, my stick firmware is 11.

I was unaware of the tmc file you speak of, I've never run any programs into my hardware via the target software. Like I said, I don't trust their software, a quirk of mine that exists from all the way back in the TM WCS days, way before USB when joystick ports were used. I've used thrustmaster products since about 1992.

My stick, throttle, and TPR pedals are plugged into a powered USB3.0 hub.

Antix, don't want to hijack LooseCannons thread but for general knowledge the TARGET program for 128 DX buttons (for the WartHog Throttle) is here. One other thing I would try is plugging the throttle directly into a motherboard port and be sure to un-tik the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager\Universal Serial Bus Controllers\USB Properties\Power Management (for all USB hubs\controllers).

Edited by GaryR

• 9 months later...
On 5/18/2022 at 9:33 PM, Blackhawk NC said:

Have you considered making a generic plate with generic labelling.......Like SW1...SW2...TGL1 TGL2?  I have been looking for something like that. Like the Virpil is done.

Yes.  I'm happy to make custom or generic plates.

• 1 month later...

Tek Creations is the name of the mfg. They are out of Australia, so shipping is going to be pricey if yer not an Ozzie or Kiwi... and they do let you build your own plate to your tastes.  They are $85.00 Ozzie dollars and around $45.00 to ship to California... As much as I do not look at my HOTAS while flying I don't believe I really need one of these for $131.00 Ozzie dollars, which works out to about $90.00 USD. But visit the sight, there are much more goodies there than just the Warthog plates.

https://tekcreations.space/product-category/custom-plates-for-thrustmaster-warthog/

Cheers

Hoss

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

Sempre Fortis

The problem with the TEK creations plate is that he paid little attention to LED layout, so half the lettering was without illumination, if that doesn't matter to you then no biggie. Also for the F/A-18, Launch Bar in place of INTR Wing Inhibit for fuel control makes much more sense, imo.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:37 AM, LooseCannon said:

Also, I am curious if anyone uses TARGET software to illuminate the LEDs for the 5 white circles and if so, what functions do you use with them?  Labeling them could be another customization option, but I have never used them and don't know what would work best, or if it would even be useful.

You can't see them with the throttle forward anyway, I do use the first light to tell me if my IN/OUT Toggle on the S3 switch is IN or OUT. 

I sent you a PM with a design I came up with for IL2/DCS Warbirds.  

Cheers

Hoss

Edited by 352nd_Hoss

Sempre Fortis