runway start option does not work in multiplayer

The "runway start" option does not currently work when the mission is run in multiplayer (local or dedicated). Instead of spawning on the runway, aircraft spawn on the taxiway (or sometimes in a parking space), and depending on the aircraft sometimes in a location where they're intersecting a building so they blow up on server start. In this example the A-50 kills itself as soon as it tries to move.

I'm pretty sure this did before the most recent update (2.7.2.7910.1), but I could be remembering wrong.

I attached a track file, but note that even the track will not replay the bug in the mission editor. The mission must be loaded in multiplayer for the bug to show. The attached example uses Syria but the bug is also present for Caucasus, so presumably is unrelated to the map.

multiplayer runway takeoff.trkmultiplayer runway takeoff.miz

• Like 1

This is not a bug. It is to prevent players or AI spawning at inopportune times at the most common place for another aircraft to be at.  Though if it fails to move the AI to an acceptable spawnpoint then that aspect of it would be considered a bug. 

16 hours ago, VFA41_Lion said:

runway starts has worked for me also for the last few years in multiplayer <_<

Nope, it has been like this for a long time.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

@Grimes thank you for your help and all the time you put into the game. I don't want to sound confrontational but 1) why MP is different from SP? it should be the same in order to prevent AI from spawning incorrectly, 2) the feature is not in the manual (at least I couldn't find it).

In any case this requires a fix or clarification on the manual.

Thanks!

While I'm not sure if was stated anywhere as the actual reason, I think it is there as an anti-griefing/safety measure. Your average SP scenario generally doesn't see a lot of aircraft constantly spawn and take-off over a large number of hours like it can in MP.  By forcing everything to the ramp when spawned it prevents aircraft from spawning on the runway which is more likely to have other players or aircraft using it in MP. There is a smidge of irony to this due to how terrible AI use bases for a flight sim that its often avoided entirely to remove the airbase from the equation of things that can go wrong. 

You occasionally see the problems this can cause in MP when someone gets spawned on a catapult on the carrier rather than a ramp start. That catapult is effectively offline until they despawn or get the engines started and move off of it. Simply spawning someplace where people need to go will cause more problems than spawning where people expect aircraft to spawn. 

As I said though, if it fails to move AI to a correct location then that part of it is a bug. But also a workaround could be to switch it to take-off from ramp hot to avoid the automatic assigning and it'll often fix it. Problem area being if the base doesn't support that aircraft or you need to spawn more aircraft than ramp spots. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 6 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 3:18 AM, Grimes said:

While I'm not sure if was stated anywhere as the actual reason, I think it is there as an anti-griefing/safety measure. Your average SP scenario generally doesn't see a lot of aircraft constantly spawn and take-off over a large number of hours like it can in MP.  By forcing everything to the ramp when spawned it prevents aircraft from spawning on the runway which is more likely to have other players or aircraft using it in MP. There is a smidge of irony to this due to how terrible AI use bases for a flight sim that its often avoided entirely to remove the airbase from the equation of things that can go wrong. 

You occasionally see the problems this can cause in MP when someone gets spawned on a catapult on the carrier rather than a ramp start. That catapult is effectively offline until they despawn or get the engines started and move off of it. Simply spawning someplace where people need to go will cause more problems than spawning where people expect aircraft to spawn. 

As I said though, if it fails to move AI to a correct location then that part of it is a bug. But also a workaround could be to switch it to take-off from ramp hot to avoid the automatic assigning and it'll often fix it. Problem area being if the base doesn't support that aircraft or you need to spawn more aircraft than ramp spots. 

Just ran into this...

One thing I observed, this will vary by airfield and ramp space.  In multiplayer, If an AI group is set to "Takeoff from runway" and there is not enough ramp space for those units, will end up stacked in the middle of the runway (hot) and not do anything.  For example, Airfield has 2 spots available to fit 2 C-130.  The AI group of C-130 has 4 units (set to Takeoff from runway).  2 of the units will spawn on the runway and just sit there. Depending on the airfield and other aspects of the mission, could lead to stalemate as these A/C are blocking the runway and could impact departures and arrivals. 

Also considering the above C-130 scenario 2 units of the group will take the 2 ramp spaces even if there are other A/C assigned to those parking spots for example another group of C130 with 2 units (Uncontrolled). This can cause collision scenarios.

12-inch-Red-aviation-ordnance-logo-sticker-with-IYAOYAS-banner.png