Scratchpad MOD not showing up in-game.

Help with DCS Scratchpad for my VR setup. I´m trying to install it. But when I am in-game I press CTRL+SHIFT+X, nothing happens. The only thing that happens is that the mouse cursor somehow becomes separated. It splits into to two pointers: The blue cross and the white dot. So something happens, but no text edit box. Anyone have any clue?

I've tried with FULL SCREEN and WINDOWED.

I've tried with VR and 2D.

I've tried checking for colliding shortcuts with the CTRL+SHIFT+X

7 minutes ago, Red_Donkey said:

Help with DCS Scratchpad for my VR setup. I´m trying to install it. But when I am in-game I press CTRL+SHIFT+X, nothing happens. The only thing that happens is that the mouse cursor somehow becomes separated. It splits into to two pointers: The blue cross and the white dot. So something happens, but no text edit box. Anyone have any clue?

I've tried with FULL SCREEN and WINDOWED.

I've tried with VR and 2D.

I've tried checking for colliding shortcuts with the CTRL+SHIFT+X

Which one did you use?  Keyboard one or basic one?

8 minutes ago, Red_Donkey said:

I once installed a ReShade mod. Have no clue how to uninstall it. Could this be causing issues with overlaying windows?

No, ReShade goes into main path.  This mod goes into Saved Games.  To uninstall ReShade, just run DCS clean up and repair.

You downloaded the dcs-scratchpad-master.zip and extracted Scripts to /Saved Games/DCS folder?

Tried changing the hotkey?

Edited by Taz1004

Yes. Installed in the apropiate Scripts folder. I tried going into the .LUA file and changing the Hotkey, but still no popup.

I just have a feeling that some mod of mine or something messes with it. Because noone else has this problem.

When I installed I noticed I had an old copy of the Scratchpad in the Scripts directory. Of course I replaced it. But could there be old position (X,Y) defined somewhere else in another file? I used to run 5 monitors back in the day. Just thinking the windows may be offide somewhere. But I have tried to write after pressing CTRL+SHIFT+X but the keyboard just activated shortcuts in the cockpit, so I guess the window is not highlighted somewhere off screen.

Gonna try and do a repair and reinstall the mod...

Found a Scratchpad log file. This is its content:

[14:59:01] Loading config file...
[14:59:01] Configuration exists...
[14:59:01] C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\.
[14:59:01] C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\..
[14:59:01] creating page C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\0000.txt
[14:59:01] Creating Scratchpad window hidden...
[14:59:01] loading page C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\0000.txt
[14:59:01] Error reading file: C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Scratchpad\0000.txt
[14:59:01] Scratchpad Window created

4 hours ago, Red_Donkey said:

In the past I have done some Windows 10 tweaking guides. Disabling a lot of stuff. Would there be any windows background process that is needed for this thing to pop up?

Well, your Error reading file may be the issue.  My log says:

[06:15:40] Loading config file...
[06:15:40] Configuration exists...
[06:15:40] D:\Users\brian\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scratchpad\.
[06:15:40] D:\Users\brian\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scratchpad\..
[06:15:40] D:\Users\brian\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scratchpad\0000.txt
[06:15:40] found page D:\Users\brian\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scratchpad\0000.txt
[06:15:40] Creating Scratchpad window hidden...
[06:15:40] loading page D:\Users\brian\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scratchpad\0000.txt
[06:15:40] Scratchpad Window created

Can you open and save that 0000.txt file?  Make sure you have write permission in Saved Games directory.

Edited by Taz1004

I have manually created that .TXT file and that got rid of the log-error. But still no pop-up

How was it again, that I check Write Permission? Right clicking and such? (I´m on my MacPro out of house right now).

When I get back to the sim-computer I will also try and rename the Saved Games DCS folder, and create a new one.

I used to run DCS with multi monitor, and I already had a previous Scratchpad installation, so maybe it has moved position (X-Y) from that old setting. Even though I overwrote everything when installing second time. Maybe the X-Y is hidden somewhere else. This will be solved with renaming of the Saved Games DCS folder, and DCS will create a new one. Will report back...

Edited by Red_Donkey

• 5 months later...
On 6/24/2021 at 5:33 AM, Red_Donkey said:

SOLVED:

As I thought. There where some leftover LUA files in another DCS directory, where old X and Y position where defined from my 2 year old multi monitor setup. So basicly the window was located way off somewhere.

Can you help me?it seems im having the same problem.  I can get it to run fine in Beta, (which is what i use in 2d).  I use the stable server for VR but Scratchpad will not show up.  I see the white dot off to the right appear and dissapear when i push the CTRL+SHIFT+X, but i cannot see the text box as i can in the BETA 2d version.