Hornet fans, Why do you prefer the Hornet more than the Viper beside it being a more complete module?

Strider1_Trigger

8 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:
  • I like the way it flies better, and it is less effected by stores. 

Wow, really? I've found it to be completely the opposite. You can crank out Mach 1.5+ with two wing tanks and 6 AMRAAMS in the Viper. The Hornet is kind of a pig once you hang anything on it. Even empty wing pylons on the Hornet produce noticeable drag. The Viper just powers through the hanging stores really well.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

18 hours ago, Strider1_Trigger said:

Also, I feel that the Viper is more satisfying when landing.

Speaking of just landing on land, you're absolutely right. The Viper is (in real life and in DCS) a nice little challenge to land. You can practically crash the Hornet on a runway with that massive landing gear. I'll say, though, that landing on a carrier at night is pretty satisfying/challenging. 👍

Edited by wilbur81

I honestly dont know, but we just click.

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

A lot of the allure of the Hornet for me is nostalgia.  I spent countless hours with Graphsim's Hornet 3.0 and Korea and to a lesser extent Jane's F/A-18.  It's awesome to see the Hornet realized in DCS today and I'm constantly amazed and entertained by this module.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wilbur81 said:

Wow, really? I've found it to be completely the opposite. 

I suppose we're looking at different things. In an A/G role with two fuel bags and 4,000lbs of bombs the Hornet maintains better roll and turn performance, while the Viper gets really sluggish to fly. If I'm moving mud, top speed and acceleration aren't my priorities. 

15 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

I suppose we're looking at different things. In an A/G role with two fuel bags and 4,000lbs of bombs the Hornet maintains better roll and turn performance, while the Viper gets really sluggish to fly. If I'm moving mud, top speed and acceleration aren't my priorities. 

True, it's hard to tell how much Viper's FM will change in next months. 

Viper:

I really like this plane and this was one of dream planes to see in DCS, especially in current version, beast for SEAD/DEAD missions.

We have them in Polish Air Force and they are flying over my head every day since 15 years. It was already mentioned about all movies and games too.

Hornet:

I took this plane because it was first best multirole plane available here with so many possibilities.

After many hours in A-10C and later in Harrier, I've had need for speed and fuel independency.

Also I was really hungry for Carrier Ops missions were i've spent thousands of hours in Sturmovik 1946 flying on Hellcats and Corsairs.

I feel lucky to have both fighters and in my opinion it's hard to compare them. Both of them have pros and cons, many similarities but at the end, they require two differend mindsets and understanding to what kind of tactic they were created.

In scenario when I will have possibility to choose again which of them to buy, I will take them both. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Agrrregat said:

I feel lucky to have both fighters and in my opinion it's hard to compare them. Both of them have pros and cons, many similarities but at the end, they require two differend mindsets and understanding to what kind of tactic they were created.

In scenario when I will have possibility to choose again which of them to buy, I will take them both. 

Well said. 👍

• Like 2

Got gifted F/A-18 Korea at about the same time I first watched Independence Day, I was 8 at the time.

There's no way the Hornet's ever not going to be my favourite 4th Gen aircraft, and having it as a DCS module was always going to be a dream come true.

That said, I do prefer the avionics of the Viper, but would happily pass that up for the ability to operate from a carrier.

Edited by HammerUK9
Grammatical tweak
  • Like 1

better cockpit

better controls

better SA

there's no single killer feature (maybe carrier ops) but enough little things here and there that make it collectively better than the f16 imo

49 minutes ago, horstweihrauch said:

I love the hornet because everyone else likes it. I am happy when the server I join is already full of F18s and no other plane types. So inspirational.

good thing you can make your own missions to avoid this problem

• Like 1

The Viper just came on sale and I'm going to score it tonight I think, but I've had it on the free trial for a few days already. The Hornet I've had for about a year.

If I had to choose, it would be the Hornet 100%. It's slower than the Viper, and the cockpit visibility isn't as good, but the MFDs are much nicer and easier to see and it's got all the high-tech bells and whistles; it's the space shuttle of death. Land, air, and sea - it blows them all up. I mainly do A2G and the Hornet is da boss! 

And of course... carriers.

• Like 3

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Realy love both jets, but prefer the Hornet over the Viper because of:

- Carrier Ops

- Stand-off A/G capability

- Anti-ship capability

- Radios

- Internal ECM

- SA

- Cockpit (3 MFDs instead of 2)

- Center stick (gotta love that in the simpit)

- AAR (I find the Hornet harder to refuel than the Viper, but also more fun to do it)

- IMO sexiest airframe of all time 

The Hornet also has it's place in military history: It was the first aircraft beeing developed from the ground as a true multi-role fighter and the first jet in the history of aerial combat to demonstrate a modern fighter jet killing an enemy aircraft prior to striking it's ground target within the same mission. Flew the Viper for countless hours in that other F-16 sim, but totally fell in love with the Hornet when it entered DCS-service. There is no existing aircraft DCS could come up with, wich could take the Hornets place as my all time favorite DCS module. 

Cheers

Edited by VpR81
  • Like 2

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Maybe the new Top Gun 2 movie will help raise the Hornet's popularity to the level of the Tomcat 🙂

Edited by Flia

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

1 hour ago, VpR81 said:

- AAR (I find the Hornet harder to refuel than the Viper, but also more fun to do it)

Really? I thought the Viper is harder to refuel than the Hornet since boom refuelling is harder than the probe and drogue refuelling. I haven't try AAR in the Hornet yet but I can say that AAR in the Viper is not easy.

I can't pick a favorite, to be honest, especially since the Viper is still missing a lot so I can't experience first-hand what some tasks feel like.

Based on personal experience so far I think the Hornet gives way better SA (especially with that extra MFD and HMCS integration), has more loadout options for A/A thanks to the double rails and fuselage hardpoints and of course has the big bonus of carrier ops. The Viper, on the other hand, has a better HOTAS in my opinion (I hate having to use MFDs to switch radar freqs, rws/tws or auto/man on the 18), and better performance at high speed/altitudes. Also the roll rate when in CAT I FCS gain mode feels insane!

Overall I currently fly the Hornet when I want a greater challenge or more complex missions, while taking the Viper when I just want to have a quick and easier BVR experience on airquake style servers. Hopefully, once the Viper is more complete it will be more fun to use for realistic missions too.

1 hour ago, Strider1_Trigger said:

Really? I thought the Viper is harder to refuel than the Hornet since boom refuelling is harder than the probe and drogue refuelling. I haven't try AAR in the Hornet yet but I can say that AAR in the Viper is not easy.

Well it depends what you're looking at i guess. With the Viper, you "just" have to get in position and keep formation while the boom operator does the rest. You also have the position lights on the tanker wich are realy helpful. The only thing beeing (IMO) harder with the Viper is, that you have less space to maneuver without loosing connection but maneuvering to much with the Hornet may affect you by the tankers wake vortex wich cannot happen with the Viper while connected. With the Hornet i find it harder to connect to the basket in the first place. Especially during the tankers turn. But to be honest, i have refueled both countless times and think none of both is realy hard to refuel. Personally i find the Hornet to have a higher workload during AAR + the Viper beeing refueled pretty quick and easy to handle due to the change in the FBW sensitivity when opening the AAR hatch. Also display remaining fuel in the HUD is a huge benefit during AAR in the Viper IMO. I guess that impression differs from player to player, as i heard a lot of people rating the Viper harder to refuel than the Hornet.

8 minutes ago, BamJr said:

having to use MFDs to switch radar freqs, rws/tws or auto/man

No need for that. This can be done in the Hornet via TDC. Just move the cursor over "RWS" and "TWS" will appear as option. Move the cursor over "TWS" and use TDC depress. The Hornets HOTAS integration is not as bad as most ppl believe. But it is true, that the Viper still has the edge here IMO.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Strider1_Trigger said:

Nah, Viper is super easy. Move into position, formation fly for a few minutes, done. With the higher fuel flow of the boom it's faster as well.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Here’s something that may help

AAR is scary in the sim and in real life but think of it as a formation position

Find your parking spot and hold it

A common error is chasing the boom or the basket to get plugged in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

27 minutes ago, BamJr said:

(I hate having to use MFDs to switch radar freqs, rws/tws or auto/man on the 18)

agreed... which is why I've mapped all of the following radar functions to my HOTAS by assigning the appropriate OSB's to my stick and throttle:

- Radar modes (RWS/TWS/MAP/GMT etc.)

- Azimuth

- Elevation

- Bar scan units

- Range

- Auto/Man

- PRF settings

I operate all of these without taking my hands off.

• Like 1

27 minuti fa, VpR81 ha scritto:

No need for that. This can be done in the Hornet via TDC. Just move the cursor over "RWS" and "TWS" will appear as option. Move the cursor over "TWS" and use TDC depress. The Hornets HOTAS integration is not as bad as most ppl believe. But it is true, that the Viper still has better HOTAS commands IMO.

Yup, you're right. I keep forgetting that! But I still prefer the long press/short press logic of the 16 over slewing the TDC from one end to the other of the MFD