Randomly uncontrollable?

horus-DCS

The hind is randomly uncontrollable like a brick.

Check the track please. It wasn't recorded correctly (as always...), but you can see the part what I mentioned anyway.

From the mission time 6min, the hind started to roll full left without any actual left roll input(I released the stick as soon as this happened).

The direction isn't only full left like this, but also full forward sometimes, generally I can't recover even with a full opposite direction input once it happens. 

Never had this problem with other choppers.

Turned AP off, no joy.

Trimmer mode is default (NOT CENTRAL POSITION)

Checked controller option twice, no unintentionally assigned controllers. 

2.trk

• Like 2

Something similar here. I was flying straight at 250 kph and suddenly the helicopter started to put full right roll, it did not respond to my inputs and I crashed. I have flown many times before this and nener happened something like that.

I fly all the others DCS helis and never happened something like this to me.

2 hours ago, Bladigan said:

Something similar here. I was flying straight at 250 kph and suddenly the helicopter started to put full right roll, it did not respond to my inputs and I crashed. I have flown many times before this and nener happened something like that.

I fly all the others DCS helis and never happened something like this to me.

Yours sounds like retreating blade stall. Check it out on the forums. 

Sometimes after releasing the trim the controls locks in-place, have to reset trims to recover. Not the same as VRS or RBS

Can be recreated when slower speed where you constantly  re-trimming until letting go of trim just locks the control, it will be visibly lock in place and recovers as soon as you reset trim 

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

This is normal behavior when using "central position trimmer mode". Until control inputs are returned to a small window near zero no more input is allowed. If you do not like this mode use "default" instead. Change this in the special options for the desired module.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb CrashMcGhee:

Is the trim locking up a bug or a simulated feature? The KA-50 does it too, and at speed resetting can be just as dangerous as whatever you're going to hit if you don't maneuver.

this is a bug, randomly when you trim, all controls are locked and stay locked - not the case in the OP-bug... but there is a bug

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Frederf:

This is normal behavior when using "central position trimmer mode". Until control inputs are returned to a small window near zero no more input is allowed. If you do not like this mode use "default" instead. Change this in the special options for the desired module.

that is not the bug that is actually present in "central position timmer mode" AND "default".
Sometimes the controls will stay locked/no inputs will be registered (weirdly coolie hat/PoV Hat trimming will still wor) - not matter where to controls/inputs are returned or the stick is let go off or input is given on any axis.

The only way to resolve that bug before crashing is pressing "trim reset" and get the airframe back under control (retrim).

It happens randomly and is - like the "trim overflow" - definitely a bug and not intended or mode related behaviour.

Again - not the case in this OP though most likely.

I think it is exactly what was happening, retreating blades would be on the right so the hind should only stall towards the right not left and also not forward like the OP said. 

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

19 hours ago, Revs said:

I think it is exactly what was happening, retreating blades would be on the right so the hind should only stall towards the right not left and also not forward like the OP said. 

Forces on rotor blades are experienced approx. 90 degrees behind the rotation of the rotors due to gyroscopic precession, so in every helicopter design RBS should be experienced with some degree of nose up without input. It's a semi-self correcting situation. If as simulated the nose dives, gyroscopic effects might be bugged in reverse. I found the Hind experiences significant roll as well, but the nose also typically pops up for me, so I'm thinking this may be something else.

• Like 1

Didn't watch the track file, but this happened to me yesterday. I was flying close to the ground at 250-300 km/h and doing a right turn and bank (evasive stunts, so to speak). Then I proceeded to the opposite action I discovered that the Hind continued to roll right. I flew a lot in the 50 and the 8 and never saw that once. I'm gonna check the Hind flight manual for limitations (although in my approximation they aren't far from the 8's), but it seems like sometimes the Hind in the game just becomes absolutely unresponsive to controls input and goes ballistic (literally).

I had similar happen I had to alt tab out end task, the MI24 hind  be came non responsive and I could only change views, couldn’t fly.  

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Why are so many of you commenting on this thread, when you very clearly didn't watch OP's track?

He very obviously hit a building with his tailrotor.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:31 AM, cw4ogden said:

Pretty sure that's a tail rotor strike, but can't switch to external view to be sure.

Look at all this speculation. All you had to do was download his .trk and look at it.

On 6/30/2021 at 7:46 PM, randomTOTEN said:

Why are so many of you commenting on this thread, when you very clearly didn't watch OP's track?

Look at all this speculation. All you had to do was download his .trk and look at it.

Because regardless of how and why the author lost control of their aircraft the problem with module that's described in the topic title still persists.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:46 AM, randomTOTEN said:

mine isn't speculative, I have a random issue where If I F2 view every once in awhile; I can not control the aircraft all the controls stop working and the MI24 just blindly keeps flying. I have to escape and end task.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I encountered this when using the "Center Stick" option in rudder trim.

Use default instead.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

I've also had this in pretty much all stages of flight. Happens in the hover, happens at slow flight, happens when I'm straight and level doing 250 kmh, happens when I'm turning at any angle of bank. It's not VRS.

The cyclic controls lock up in all axes and you crash.

Edited by TAW_Reaver

As Rayray mentioned this has only happened to me when using the Center Stick Trimmer Option and usually when I'm at low altitude and trying to avoid enemy ground fire with some wild cyclic inputs. I usually have lots of cyclic control input in, hit the trimmer and don't get it re-centered for the trim to take place in which case further inputs are ignored until the stick is re-centered. 

If it's happening during hover and other low angles of input regimes perhaps the joystick is not sending a "centered" input to the program and so it's locking out the controls, in which case that is a hardware issue and might be corrected with some dead zone manipulation.

I'm torn between the two trimming options because centered is smoother at times but it sucks to have it lock out the controls when you need them the most.

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

I appreciate what you’re saying and I think there is merit in it. But I don’t think this is what is happening here in honesty. To my annoyance the track files where I’ve got this happening are broken so I’ll try to get something showing what’s happening. 

But as an example, I flew on the SAR sever yesterday. Started up, trimmed for hover and power checked the aircraft in the hover, so we are now static at 5 m altitude facing into the wind. Pushed the cyclic forward and got no response at all from the 5m hover position. Aggressively moved the stick to all 4 corners and the aircraft “snapped out of it” and got some pitch and roll authority back. Added collective and held forward cyclic to accelerate the aircraft without using trim and it got stuck again at around 80 kph. Centre the cyclic with no effect. Apply back pressure with no effect.  Controls wipe attempted with no effect. So now I have no control input in any axis at all. Trim reset is attempted by double click of the trimmer. No response. Trim reset attempted by trim reset switch. No response. Movement of the stick did nothing at all to resolve this time and the aircraft slowly banked over and pitched forward into the deck. Collective input was unaffected. 

It’s not a hardware problem. The hardware performs flawlessly with any other ED module and other providers products. I can also jump back in the helicopter on the same server in the same conditions and perform the same manoeuvre with entirely acceptable results immediately afterwards. 

Now I’ve flown other ED helicopter modules and other helicopters from other providers as well and I’ve never known this behaviour. It’s as it the swash plate locks up mechanically and the aircraft just does it’s own thing until it’s inevitable demise. 

I really really love this module and I’d love to be able to provide some track files here but all I can offer is “pilot debrief” which I understand isn’t helpful from a bug finding standpoint. But to see this dismissed as “VRS” (although that may be correct for some reports of this) isn’t dealing with the reality of the matter. 

That said, keep up the good work! Loving the aircraft for the majority of the time.  

Edited by TAW_Reaver
  • Like 1

It also doesn't have anything to do with trimming mode. I fly with default trimming and crashed twice because of this issue. And I don't trim aircraft when executing maneuvers. That's actually a recipe for disaster, trimming in the middle of a high angle bank.

Well all I can say is that I've been flying the Hind for the past couple of weeks and never have I experienced where the sim/helicopter stop responding to cyclic inputs. A couple of times I had the pilot killed and was unable to control the helicopter and there was no black screen or anything telling me that the pilot was dead but I would guess that would be obvious. 

I have been flying the hind with the default trimmer and tried everything I could think of control wise and never did cyclic stop responding for me. I even tried to cycle between interior and exterior using the F2 key as reported, again nothing, the helicopter constantly responded to commands. If it was occurring at high speeds only I would think you would have ruled out RBS.

The question then is the in game cyclic moving or is it as if the game isn't getting any input from the joystick? 

Also, what is the status of your autopilot systems and dampners? (sorry I don't know the technical name). Do you have roll, yaw engaged etc? These seem to have some quirks and possibly are interfering? I myself only use Roll and Pitch on the dampening system usually. I don't use the autopilot functions but perhaps somehow these become engaged with an errant key bind? Just trying to rule out anything that could possibly override a pilot cyclic control input.

Since there doesn't seem to be a large amount of people reporting this at the moment it's going to be a tough one to crack, good luck.

Edited by monkie

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

OMG, I am kind of happy to find rogorogo's comment here about the trimmer bug. This was driving me crazy. Sometimes mid flight, use the trim.. nothing works on the flight controls (the throttle still works, but for me it is a separate HID)

Today it happened like 2 out of 3 takeoffs with a cold start.. and it was very easy to record it since it was happening so frequent... took me longer to setup OBS to capture input controls and in-game.

bear with me, the footage is VR and I slowed it down to 50% and everything is shaking.
hopefully this will get sorted out since it is a known issue.

cheers

• Thanks 1