P47 vs P51

Shark 3-1

Can’t decide on the 51 or 47

Modules I look forward too: BO-105, OH-58, AH-64, BS3, Eurofighter.
Wishlist: Ah-1 (any variant), HH-60 Pavehawk/ UH-60, A-4, AH6, and F-4

Joystick/Throttle/Rudder pedals: T.16000 Stick, TWCS throttle, and T-Flight rudder pedals.

11 hours ago, grafspee said:

Wait for sale and get both for price of the single.

Err yep that sale is now so pulling the trigger.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, Shark 3-1 said:

Can’t decide on the 51 or 47

P-51

Advantages: superb gun sight with lots of lead, more stable for aiming and shooting with guns and rockets and dropping bombs, higher speed, better climb rate, doesn't lose much speed in turn, more fuel for flying around.

Disadvantages: burns in flames in a second and pilot dies with just few hits received, somewhat tricky to learn how to turn and to avoid rolling.

P-47

Advantages: prettier module with high resolution textures and smooth cockpit operations, can carry more rockets and bombs, and should also have more ammo but I don't have such a feel, can sustain more hits and survive, has better turn rate.

Disadvantages: average gun sight, very unstable for aiming and shooting with guns and rockets and dropping bombs, it's slow, its climb rate is worse, loses speed in turn very easily, less fuel but still enough.

With engine management, I don't know, everyone is concerned about the engine, but I can't tell it's that important, comparing them I think you just have to find some maximum safe power by experience and trying and testing in various conditions. Both have great vision from cockpit. And both are very pretty aircraft.

My personal choice is Mustang because of much better performance in action, both dogfight and ground attack, although it carries less weapons and is more likely to be shot down.

• Like 1

It's purely personal, if you're unsure, use the two weeks trial to test them and then decide. 
I have both, but practically fly the Jug 3B all the time. Big, Beautiful and Badass. 
Countless missions that I came back to base all shot up, smoking, no oil pressure and with some pistons missing the beat, lol. The thing is really a tank. P51 is pure finesse, so (for me!) it's a little bit boring, although it is nice in dogfights (P47 can be also, just don't extend the fighting part too much (be quick!), and avoid horizontal turning if possible). Try both and then decide. 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, joker68 said:

3B all the time. Big, Beautiful and Badass.

Yep:  when the Wehrmacht was pointing at the sky and screaming with fear "Jabbo" it wasnt for the Mustang but for the Jug coming at them.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I think I am feeling p47

Modules I look forward too: BO-105, OH-58, AH-64, BS3, Eurofighter.
Wishlist: Ah-1 (any variant), HH-60 Pavehawk/ UH-60, A-4, AH6, and F-4

Joystick/Throttle/Rudder pedals: T.16000 Stick, TWCS throttle, and T-Flight rudder pedals.

When dogfighting, I always struggle to get the nose where I need it in the P-47. Very wobbly, especially at high AOA.

I always feel more confident in the P-51. Although the liquid cooled engine can be a bit fragile if you get hit by AAA/flak while doing ground attack.

• Like 1

Go set up the TF-51D that is Free, fly it and see if you like it...both are great!  I have them all and the P47 is a learning platform for me...the Mustang is a dream to fly in DCS...in my humble opinion as a IRL pilot!

• Like 2

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

15 hours ago, JUICE said:

the Mustang is a dream to fly in DCS...in my humble opinion as a IRL pilot!

Mustang is a dream to fly around and perform a little own air show, it's so relaxing, I must admit that is what I do in DCS for most part. I can try something similar with Thunderbolt, but it's just too heavy and not relaxing to fly at all. Mustang is also performing beautifully when taxiing on the ground with tail wheel locked, and landing is so smooth it's like I am putting it on the runway with my hand. On the other side, with Thunderbolt taxiing is a nightmare, and I crash land like 99% of time.

Edited by Silent Film

The P47 feels like a more recently developed aircraft, both in terms of visuals & sound but also in how it feels. Maybe it is simply the extra weight but it just feels like it has more fidelity to the model to me. Of course whether that makes it more fun will come down to preferences as the P51 is faster and more nimble. The P47 just feels the newer simulated model to me.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

P-47 looks better for sure, but FM can't be compared at this level since those are quite different planes.

If i didn't know which module P-51 or P-47 is older, by ignoring visual look, i could not say which FM is older 🙂

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

20 hours ago, Silent Film said:

Mustang is a dream to fly around and perform a little own air show, it's so relaxing, I must admit that is what I do in DCS for most part. I can try something similar with Thunderbolt, but it's just too heavy and not relaxing to fly at all. Mustang is also performing beautifully when taxiing on the ground with tail wheel locked, and landing is so smooth it's like I am putting it on the runway with my hand. On the other side, with Thunderbolt taxiing is a nightmare, and I crash land like 99% of time.

To curve in taxi, unlock tailwheel. To go straight, lock it. Don't try to curve with tailwheel locked, she won't (or at least she will need a large radius to comply and will require a lot more power). Just the old mantra: very (!) gentle movements/press on brakes, the same with throttle (the engine is a monster). I mapped brakes to my rudders with a modifier, so it is easier (same difficulty as the Mustang).

For landings, try to approach 130 mph, 2500 MP and gear and flaps down. You'll put it on runway with your hands, too. 🙂

Anyway, it is and always will be purely personal. There's no such thing as one best than another since they are also intended to distinct roles. As DCS has adopted the two weeks trial for all modules, all there is needed is to fire the module up and test. No need to rely on other's opinions for purchases. 🏆

Edited by joker68

4 hours ago, joker68 said:

To curve in taxi, unlock tailwheel. To go straight, lock it. Don't try to curve with tailwheel locked, she won't (or at least she will need a large radius to comply and will require a lot more power). Just the old mantra: very (!) gentle movements/press on brakes, the same with throttle (the engine is a monster). I mapped brakes to my rudders with a modifier, so it is easier (same difficulty as the Mustang).

For landings, try to approach 130 mph, 2500 MP and gear and flaps down. You'll put it on runway with your hands, too. 🙂

Anyway, it is and always will be purely personal. There's no such thing as one best than another since they are also intended to distinct roles. As DCS has adopted the two weeks trial for all modules, all there is needed is to fire the module up and test. No need to rely on other's opinions for purchases. 🏆

That is why I prefer taxiing with Mustang, lol, no need for unlocking tailwheel. 🙂

I'm not sure if Thunderbolt is worth of effort to me, it's just not my thing. I use DCS mostly as a classical flight simulator, and sometimes I engage in some kind of combat, mostly dogfight. Thunderbolt is just not that pleasant for flying as Mustang, plus Mustang is a stable platform for guns and rockets and bombs unlike Thunderbolt, so I really see no use for Thunderbolt. I came to DCS World from Microsoft CFS 3, it was finally time to switch to a more recent combat simulator, although my heart is still with CFS 3, but it's kind of too outdated now. In CFS 3, Thunderbolt was one of my favorites, it was a very stable platform for aiming, more stable than Mustang, so I thought it would be similar in DCS, but here it is surprisingly agile and unstable for such a large and heavy aircraft, and also a bit slower I think. Thunderbolt was my first choice before I bought it, now I want to swap it for something else, lol.

I've got my procedure for landing with Mustang, 150 kts gear down and flaps 2, approach with 120 kts, in front of runway full flaps and cut throttle, touch down at 90 kts. (I'm talking in kts since I mostly fly with external F2 view.) I am trying to do the same with Thunderbolt, but it just doesn't work that way. 😀 So I always finish with landing gear broken. 😀

I have both P-51 and P-47, i will say that they are different planes.  The simulation detail is at ridiculous level. Some ppl come from other sims and say this is wrong and that is wrong, this plane is too twitchy, it has no mas , pls add some inertia etc. I advice to do other way first try it in DCS then judge other.

• Like 4

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 7/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, grafspee said:

I have both P-51 and P-47, i will say that they are different planes.  The simulation detail is at ridiculous level. Some ppl come from other sims and say this is wrong and that is wrong, this plane is too twitchy, it has no mas , pls add some inertia etc. I advice to do other way first try it in DCS then judge other.

absolutely this 100%. not gonna lie i cried a bit after trying the Jug in that other ww2 sim

Edited by Brigg

On 7/1/2021 at 3:41 PM, joker68 said:

As DCS has adopted the two weeks trial for all modules, all there is needed is to fire the module up and test. No need to rely on other's opinions for purchases. 🏆

Where can be found that option to try a module for two weeks? I only see the "buy" option, but I can't see some "try" option.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...