Recommended Motion Simulator?

With DCS coming out with my dream helicopter (Apache, what else?), I want to go whole hog, with VR,  quality helicopter controls and motion simulation.   I know less than nothing about motion simulators.   

Can anyone recommend one or more which are relatively compact, good quality and reasonably priced?

Once the Apache comes out, and have all the above stuff,  I can foresee my wife having to turn off the house electricity to stop me from flying the thing. LOL

• Like 1

You may want to look at DOFreality.com.  I have the P6 and along with VR provides a good representation of actually flying. 

• Like 1

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/24/2021 at 9:42 AM, MADLOU1 said:

With DCS coming out with my dream helicopter (Apache, what else?), I want to go whole hog, with VR,  quality helicopter controls and motion simulation.   I know less than nothing about motion simulators.   

Can anyone recommend one or more which are relatively compact, good quality and reasonably priced?

Once the Apache comes out, and have all the above stuff,  I can foresee my wife having to turn off the house electricity to stop me from flying the thing. LOL

I’m not kidding when I say: don’t waste your money. There is a reason the military stopped using full motion simulators for combat aircraft years ago. They simply cannot replicate a greater range than about 0.5 to +2.0 G. And even that can only be sustained for very short periods of time. Civilian aircraft, when operated in accordance with the AFM can stay within that range but even then replicating the correct centre of gravity is also very difficult simply due to the laws of physics and the hydraulic systems that you require. 

if you want some sort of rumble seat perhaps, that’s a different proposition but the cost of a full flight simulator that accurately replicates G forces is often more than the cost of a line aircraft. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

On 6/27/2021 at 9:57 PM, Fri13 said:

Take that in consideration.

Yep, pretty good for cars and civilian aircraft because of the normal G range. Looks great for that in fact.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

45 minutes ago, Willie Nelson said:

Yep, pretty good for cars and civilian aircraft because of the normal G range. Looks great for that in fact.

I don't think the OP is searching for the high g force simulator as there are only those that military, aircraft manufacturers and NASA use. 

What I think the OP wants is the motion platform to offer a proper motion to feel the turns. 

The human brain is very easily fooled with very tiny movements that are not made by body itself, it is from the ape age when we still lived in the trees and you felt smallest movement in the branch etc. Many simply forgets these and think that they need very large motions to experience it, when you just need small ones as long it is rapid and accurate.

With just a few degree movements one can fool brain to think it is upside down when it is visually shown as well properly, as it is motion that is sensed and not the position. 

The human is very weak to sense the attitude, this is problem in under water as well in real flying when flying inside a clouds, you lose in seconds the sense that where is the surface or are you upside down etc. This happens already in the VR as well in DCS where you need to use just instruments to have the idea of your attitude.

And all that is achievable with a 500-700 € devices that just can tilt platform by few degrees as long it does it accurately and quickly. In VR you get fooled far faster when visual and physical attitude is changed, when in desktop use you will have visual attitude indicator constantly that you just made a couple degree change. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

4 hours ago, Fri13 said:

I don't think the OP is searching for the high g force simulator as there are only those that military, aircraft manufacturers and NASA use. 

What I think the OP wants is the motion platform to offer a proper motion to feel the turns. 

That is exactly what I am looking for!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just popped for a yaw2 3dof.

I haven't used a dof or the yaw. I fly mostly rotors in DCS, but play other sims. I'm not buying it to replicate a military simulator, i just want it fun. The 700w motors and low latency look like theyll be a lot of fun.

The best motion simulator is... no motion simulator.

Seriously, they're huge, expensive, and don't even remotely feel ''realistic''. The VR headset gets you 90% of the way there, if you want tactile feedback, then invest in Buttkickers or a JetSeat (preferably both) and that will get you the remaining 10%. The motion introduced by a moving rig is not even ''somewhat similar'' to the motion of actually flying.

But, whatever, if money is no object, go for it, why not? Just keep your expectations in line : you'll spend a lot for relatively little.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

This is my experience with motion.

I have a very small 4dof motion platform (racing cube)

And it’s true one can never reach even remotely the feeling of flying the real deal with these machines.

Nobody is trying to replicate the real g forces but a motion platform is going to give your brain additional cues.

Exactly like a jet seat does or a butt kicker does.

Vr fools you in thinking you are there but your body doesn’t move in accordance with what your eyes see.

Now imagine seeing with your eyes that your aircraft is climbing and at the same time feeling with your butt that the aircraft is really climbing.

Same goes for a roll.

Now imagine yourself down the runway during take off and you see your cockpit shacking due to the asphalt irregularities and at the same time you feel these irregularities on your entire body.

Same goes for landing where you can feel your wheels touching down.

Once again, a motion platform simply adds additional cues to those given by Vr and fools your brain even more.

I also use a jetseat for vibrations plus a butt kicker mounted close to the rudder pedals.

Those vibrations from the butt kicker transfer not only to my feet but to all the structure and I can feel them on my hotas stick and throttle.

thanks to this I for example can feel a cold aircraft slowly coming to life during an engine start.

On top of all this I installed a harness tensioner on the seat so when g forces increase I will feel a progressive yet very strong push against the seat.

Again, this is not how it works in real flight where at a g onset you will indeed feel a push against your seat but less push against your harness but in vr it works because it tricks your brain.

Is it necessary?

NO

I was enjoying DCS even before but motion makes me feel even more as if I am  there than just vr.

Sorry for the long post,I agree with those who say that it’s not remotely close to the real deal but that’s not the purpose.

The purpose is to give your brain additional cues to trick it even more.

Sorry also for my English, obviously it’s not my mother language.

Edited by gianlu320

• 1 month later...

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3296 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Not motion and I also don't think you'll really enjoy it long term....... but VIPERWING have done a great job for the F-16 - F-18  and Prepar3D  F-35

Check it out....... https://viperwing.com/

GET THE CURVED SCREEN AS WELL

In my opinion allot more visually to have in a private room than a jerky pop corn machine imho

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg