Enable HTS & ECM Pods

Donglr

I understand that at some point we will get the HARM Targeting System HTS which is some kind of pod that gets attached to the left chin point. If I am not mistaken it will process the radar emitters and show HUD indication where the emitter is located. Will this work even if there is no HARM in the loadout? I ask because I spent 8 HARMs today on easy targets like SA-19 and only one got me a kill (HARMs just did not target right, was not shot down). So to me it is more promising to use the HARM target box on the HUD (F18) as an indication where to point my TGP to and then throw JSOWs/MAVs/whatever at the target. And if this was possible in the F16 without "wasting" a valueable hardpoint for a HARM would be sweet.

• Like 1

Yes, AFAIK the HTS should provide you with a new MFD page, that is similar to the HSD page, but shows you the position of all the detected ground emitters and types. That is very usefull to see, even without having HARMs.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's been confirmed by ED for quite some time, that we WILL get the HTS in DCS. :)

I just hope they don't model an early HTS version that was designed to just work with HARMs and was not very precise but provide the HTS pod that would have been used with a Block 50 Viper of that era that can provide co-ordinates to support precision guided munitions.

• 2 weeks later...

In early 2005, the Air Force gave the go-ahead for an upgrade to the HTS, allowing several F-16s to "network" their HTS pods over a "Link-16" digital datalink system. This upgrade was to provide enhanced accuracy -- enough to provide targeting coordinates to a GPS-guided munition -- and also greater range. Although the HTS pod was originally mounted on the right inlet stores pylon, the upgrade relocated it to the left inlet stores pylon to free up the right pylon for a targeting pod. The upgrade automatically slewed the targeting pod's imager system to the location identified by the HTS. The modernized aircraft were redesignated "F-16CM/DM".

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

What kind of capabilites can we expect from the HTS? Does anybody know a little stuff about R7 (that of course is ok to post)?
- Somthing like, will it have some kind of ELINT triangulation if positions are unknown?

- is there a way to extract that on the real aircraft (like the Viggen ELINT data can be put into Combat Flite) if ED decideds to model that of course...

- etc.

• Like 2

Alias in Discord: Mailman

Not giving any direct capabilities as I don't accurately  know how or where they are implemented; but best guesses based on what I have heard and what seems logical:

HTS performs pretty much the same with or without HARMS (?)

It is able to generate a set of fairly accurate GPS coords for a guided munition attack on an emitter. this is subject to the emitter being active and "tracked" by the HTS for some time for it to refine the accuracy of its data points and thus target point. I don't have any knowledge of the accuracy of this generation, I'm expecting it to be good enough to be within a TPOD field of view for the coords, but not accurate to dump a JDAM onto it without manual refinement. (DEPENDS ON THE VERSION OF THE POD)

With the HARM, I have no knowledge of how it directly interfaces but I'm expecting it to just function like a PB mode, the HTS offloads the target point and emitter type to the HARM which then performs as if it had just been launched in PB mode.

Without weapons, the -16 with the HTS can work as an ELINT platform to an extent, gathering different emitters and producing target points you can pass onto other flights or simply share via LINK-16 if we get that capacity.

There will be no need to extract the data, the HTS itself will be taking the recorded points to generate a mark. If the pod cant generate the mark, there probably isn't any hope using the recorded data anyways as it probably means the data points are too few in number to make a good prediction.

Edited by CAPT_Kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS):
In early 2005, the Air Force gave the go-ahead for an upgrade to the HTS, allowing several F-16s to "network" their HTS pods over a "Link-16" digital datalink system. This upgrade was to provide enhanced accuracy -- enough to provide targeting coordinates to a GPS-guided munition -- and also greater range. Although the HTS pod was originally mounted on the right inlet stores pylon, the upgrade relocated it to the left inlet stores pylon to free up the right pylon for a targeting pod. The upgrade automatically slewed the targeting pod's imager system to the location identified by the HTS. The modernized aircraft were redesignated "F-16CM.

It can detect, identify, and target adversary radar and other emitters.

yes you are correct.
In late September 2006, Raytheon delivered the first Release 7 (R7) HTS pod to the US Air Force. It can autonomously detect, identify and locate radar guided threats at long ranges. It displays the target location to the pilot for HARM designation and firing. The HTS is fully reprogrammable and has been designed for high reliability/maintainability. The HTS allows multiple target track and greater target specificity.

On 11/19/2020 at 4:34 PM, Teomo said:

In early 2005, the Air Force gave the go-ahead for an upgrade to the HTS, allowing several F-16s to "network" their HTS pods over a "Link-16" digital datalink system. This upgrade was to provide enhanced accuracy -- enough to provide targeting coordinates to a GPS-guided munition -- and also greater range. Although the HTS pod was originally mounted on the right inlet stores pylon, the upgrade relocated it to the left inlet stores pylon to free up the right pylon for a targeting pod. The upgrade automatically slewed the targeting pod's imager system to the location identified by the HTS. The modernized aircraft were redesignated "F-16CM/DM".

Well, we have a 2007 (though possibly 2008) F-16CM (i.e post CCIP), so this should be the pod to do.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, Northstar98 said:

Well, we have a 2007 (though possibly 2008) F-16CM (i.e post CCIP), so this should be the pod to do.

Yes, that would be expected, if ED, as they did say, they want to be as accurate as they can.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

To quote Wags, a SPI is a SPI is a SPI. So yes. I doubt the HTS resolution is good enough for a JDAM. The JSOW might work though.

I believe you can use HTS to mark a rough spot on the HSD (when implemented) for your TGP and then fine tune the location using TGP to drop a JDAM.

16 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

To quote Wags, a SPI is a SPI is a SPI. So yes. I doubt the HTS resolution is good enough for a JDAM. The JSOW might work though.

What resolution? We're not talking about a radar picture here, but a passive process that uses triangulation to determine a signal source. I can't really imagine, that this process would be able to produce JDAM/JSOW quality target coordinates. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the quality of the target data should also depend on the flight path of the HTS equipped aircraft. If you fly straight to the signal source there isn't much triangulation that the HTS pod could do, just a little bit, based on the changing vertical angle to the source if you fly towards it at a constant altitude. I would expect that you would need to fly at least somewhat on a horizontal offset to build some horizontal angle difference in order to get a good triangulation solution.

Or am I understanding the HTS and its function totally wrong?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg