UFC / ICP-Style Button CAPs, How to?

Hajime

Hello,

I'm planning to build a Viper-like ICP / UFC panel, but I already see 2 issues.
Over and over again I browse the Internet to find out, how to make buttoncaps with labelling which are transperent to led light.
How do you make them?
Do you print the shape of the button cap in a transparent material in a resin-printer, paint it and engrave the label with a laser?

I noticed that often the button caps are sitting lose on top of the pushbuttons and are only kept in place by the springforce of the button and the guide of the panel? Is that a satisfactory method?

I am an absolute beginner to the "mechanical" side of panel building, so I appreciate your help.

Greetings

Hajime

Unbenannt 1.png

Hello,

in principle you got it. But my panels mostly are layered. First layer is a backplate (2 mm transparent plexi glas), holding the mechanics in place. Second layer is of (4 mm) transparent acryl, to enable backlighting. Last layer is white plastics, covered with black foil or paint and engraved.

The small button caps can be placed within the middle acrylic layer, that is thick enought to hold them.

My caps are CNC milled or printed in white resin. To enable backlighting of the buttons they are painted in grey and CNC engraved.

Pushbuttons are available with built in LED, e.g. from here: 

https://pcflights.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46_48&product_id=360

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't need it to be a resin printer either.
I've had success with the one indicator lens I printed on my Ender 3 Pro in transparent PLA, painted black and laser engraved.
It was an experiment that worked first time, and I've not had the chance to continue.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:28 PM, Hajime said:

Hello,

I'm planning to build a Viper-like ICP / UFC panel, but I already see 2 issues.
Over and over again I browse the Internet to find out, how to make buttoncaps with labelling which are transperent to led light.
How do you make them?
Do you print the shape of the button cap in a transparent material in a resin-printer, paint it and engrave the label with a laser?

I noticed that often the button caps are sitting lose on top of the pushbuttons and are only kept in place by the springforce of the button and the guide of the panel? Is that a satisfactory method?

I am an absolute beginner to the "mechanical" side of panel building, so I appreciate your help.

Greetings

Hajime

Unbenannt 1.png

you should really checkout http://www.thewarthogproject.com and see what he has done. it is beyond awesome, and he has several videos on how he made his UFC for the A-10C along with the MFDs. this guy is a genius!!

Edited by Dogan Sheridan

I cast buttons with epoxy resin, paint (several layers) and then engrave. sits on top of buttons as you described. there is some freeplay but I think the outcome is indeed satisfactory .I had a good attempt propping the buttons forward with small pieces of sponge/foam to avoid rattle while not blocking the LED but don't have any pictures.

Good luck!

2v2HyEAooxUHnUD.jpg 

2v2aUgzLvxUHnUD.jpg

2v2HjfkVoxUHnUD.jpg

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project