Is the X-36 any good?

Im going to buy an old Saitek X-36 for 99.99 euros to replace my simple Microsoft Sidewinder joystick and I was wondering about its quality.

I know that there are new and better joysticks (or are the X-** HOTAS? I think yes so Ill call them HOTAS, its shorter :P ) like the X-45 (which was recommended to me by a friend of mine) and X-52 (I could afford it for 149.99 euros but I think thats too much.)

Since the X-45 was unavaible I decided to buy the X-36, and not the X-52 since the cost of it didnt compensate.

So....is the X-36 any good? I dont care if it has a less dozen of buttons, I want a comparison with my Sidewinder. Will it make the diference when flying?

Im also thinking in buying the TrackIR (version 2 or 3, really depends on the price) but again I ask: will it make the diference?

Thanks for your time

The X-52 should be your choice ... It uses hall effect sensors on the stick, so no spiking, no friction....always smooth, always very accurate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

In my opinion, the X-36 is the best of all three. I owned the X-36, the X-45 and the X-52 and I liked the X-36 most.

Ergonomics: X-36 and X-45 the same, X-52 considerably worser ( especially the throttle ). The X-52 has a horrible button layout and not enough play on the rotaris.

Precision: X-52 suffers exessive deathzone issues, if you have bad luck and get a bad unit. Mine had 3cm deathzone on the stick wich made is useless.

The X-45 has a bad centering mechanisme, you have to constantly grease it to keep movement smooth. Also the stick force is so big, if you push the stick on the top to the left, the stick will remain in neutral position but the whole base will flip over !

X-36 will wear out over the years, but is in my book still the best of all three.

Design: Not very important, but still... X-36 has a nice classic HOTAS design. X-45 features some fancy blue colours. X-52 looks like the controlls of an X-Wing...

Re: Is the X-36 any good?

Im also thinking in buying the TrackIR (version 2 or 3, really depends on the price) but again I ask: will it make the diference?

Thanks for your time

Actually, if you can find one, even a TrackIR 1 will make a huge difference and will cost less than a 2 or 3. Since I'm currently a student cost is a huge factor for me. I recently found an original TrackIR on eBay, didn't pay much for it and couldn't be more pleased with it. (Granted I've never used a 2 or 3...)

CanadaDave

In my opinion, the X-36 is the best of all three. I owned the X-36, the X-45 and the X-52 and I liked the X-36 most.

Ergonomics: X-36 and X-45 the same, X-52 considerably worser ( especially the throttle ). The X-52 has a horrible button layout and not enough play on the rotaris.

Precision: X-52 suffers exessive deathzone issues, if you have bad luck and get a bad unit. Mine had 3cm deathzone on the stick wich made is useless.

The X-45 has a bad centering mechanisme, you have to constantly grease it to keep movement smooth. Also the stick force is so big, if you push the stick on the top to the left, the stick will remain in neutral position but the whole base will flip over !

X-36 will wear out over the years, but is in my book still the best of all three.

Design: Not very important, but still... X-36 has a nice classic HOTAS design. X-45 features some fancy blue colours. X-52 looks like the controlls of an X-Wing...

Looks like the X-36 wasnt a bad idea after all. Im going to get it today. Can you tell me how many buttons it has?

That can only be the worse deal ever!

You can buy the X-45 in a nearby computer store for 80 Euro!

Hi there JJ,

Well I also think this is a bad deal, but I couldnt find anything better on the store where I buy specific hardware. There was no X-45 where I tried to bought the joystick and the cost of the X-36 is pretty high for its age, but I dont think theres any good store around here that has a X-45 for sale.

Ill think about the X-45 if I can find it for sale, because I think its been replaced by the X-52.

Guest ruggbutt

I saw that they were including X36's w/one of the console flight sim games, and another place had them for around $20 US. That's not a good deal.

If you're gonna spend that kind of money see if you can find a place that handles CH gear and ships to Europe. You'll get a better bang for your buck in the long run.

look on eBay. I got my X36/X35 system for 10 euros!!!! it's the gameport version, not USB, but with new freeware drivers it works fine and is fully programmable even under windows XP/2000/NT (usually gameport joysticks do not work under these systems)

It's very smooth to fly and I guess there are 200+ programmable combinations!

Ok guys, just one complete ultra n00b question:

What is eBay? Online store?

I dont have the age to have a credit card, if thats the way to pay products through internet.

it's an online auction site, you can buy both new and second-hand items. You can really do cool deals, but you also must be careful to avoid swindlers. You can pay the items with whatever the seller accepts, cash, money orders, credit card, bank transfer, paypal and so on... but it's up to the seller to decide what to accept.

But I'll say that again, be cautious when buying! Make sure the seller has a good feedback, check item's condition and beware of low item prices because they're sometimes coupled to high shipping fees or, worse, to a poor or non-existing item! Just a few tricks that may help you when bidding for an item. cheers!