6900XT vs. Reverb I

OPEC

Hello, 

I just swaped my 2080TI for a 6900XT and it seems like that was a big mistake. I do not want to start a debate on whether or not you should use an AMD Card for VR, just curious about your experience with that particular setup. Because as of now it seems (feels) like the 2080Ti performed way better. 

I run a I9-10900K on a AsRock Z490 Aqua @ 5,0; 64GB of Ram @ 3200 and a 6900XT Red Devil. 

So please - I know AMD vs. Nvidia is like AMD vs. Intel kind of a religious topic, so please leave that out of this thread. I just want to know whether I'm the only one experiencing a poor performance even on low setting or if that turns our to be a general AMD VR thing. 

Thx very much. 

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

Your are not giving any numbers, neither for your old nor new setup, so cannot really say alot.

I got a Reverb G2 and a 6900XT recently and play around with setting atm. I am by no means an expert in these things though. What I saw however is fpsVR was that my GPU frametime is not the limiting factor on MP servers, but my ageing CPU is, i7 6700K @4.5GHz. Intially I though I spent all this money for GPU and headset for nothing when I got some mediocre results, until I realised it's the CPU limiting now.

i/ 6700K @4.5GHz, RX 6900XT, 32GB Ram @3100MHz, Reverb G2

Try this: Thud's VR4DCS
https://vr4dcs.com/

On my Reverb G1 I needed to force WMR for Steam to Dx11 mode. On the Vive Pro 2, I needed to go into the Windows > Display > Graphics and turned off Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling to fix the absurd numbers of Display Errors (purple lines in the SteamVR monitor).

Now, all this was on a 1080 Ti, so your results may be very different. 

I got drastically better frametimes and smoothness going from a 6800xt to a 3080ti. Frametimes dropped from 25-26ms to 17-18ms in my various DCS benchmarks. 

Only downside is you get better (more visible) aircraft smoke/exhaust effects with AMD cards. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

On 6/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, Voyager said:

On my Reverb G1 I needed to force WMR for Steam to Dx11 mode.

This made a huge difference on my 6800XT as well. Without that set, I had terrible stutters, even at low settings and high frame rates.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

I switched to a 3090, was not happy with the VR Performance of the 6900. I know, these are luxury problems, but the frametimes where simply to high. Plus: I could leave my old settings, and the GPU is now only running at around 85%, instead of 100% like i had on the 6900XT.

So all in all a good choice, at least for me.

• Like 1

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin: