WINDOWS 11 Compatibility

On 6/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, OPEC said:

Don't panic, Its not even out yet and not due to the end of the year.  But I bet you it will be compatible to DCS, if not immediately then for sure after some time. There is no need to jump on a new windows on release day after all, since i bet its gonna be buggy as hell anyways.

So it will work well with DCS for sure.

They will both be buggy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried DCS with Reverb G2 in Windows 11 Pro and I do see better performance. WMR seems to be more advanced. I did not have to register as insider. I built my own ISO using this guide to bypass TPM check for my low-end CPU: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/oat2qp/isoguide_how_to_install_the_windows_11_insider/

• Thanks 1

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Win11 basically nuked my framerates. Went from 45-55 on Cauc/PG and about 40 on Syria to 15-16 on all of them. Game mode is off, GPU accelleration is off. Zooming in on one of the Harrier MPCDs basically slams my framerates down into the low single digits.

Will do some testing later today to see if I have the same issues in for example the Viper. If so, it'll be back to Win10 for me.

• Thanks 1

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I've been spending my workday doing something productive so far, namely researching Win11 and framerate-issues in various games.

There's been multiple people that have had lower framerates in various games while running Win11. Some have reported that changing/lowering the mouse polling-frequency from 1000Hz helps a lot, plus not running things in Borderless Fullscreen or with VSync on. Another option is to disable the "Send Optional Diagnostics Data" option under Privacy & Security -> Diagnostics & Feedback, so I'll have a gander at those when I get home and report back.

If that doesn't work, I'll try nuking the box and reinstalling Win11 from an USB'ed ISO and see if that helps. There's rumors of a new Dev-build coming today and will test that too if it drops before I faceslam my pillow.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

• 4 weeks later...

Nice tool show what your rig miss to update to W11 https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

btw even i got HW compatibility i will need complete reinstall due to using MBR (not GPT) and legacy boot method, so i will not rush when i think all configuration of tools, profiles, mods...

Nokia 6.1 with Tapatalk

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on my own post: I ended up just wiping the system and installing Win11 from a USB-stick. Couldn't get DCS to function properly before I did, but after a reinstall it works just fine. Got the same or slightly higher framerates with the same settings I used on Win 10, no issues with for example SRS, OpenTrack or other applications I use with DCS.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

36 minutes ago, ShadowXP said:

... but after a reinstall it works just fine. Got the same or slightly higher framerates with the same settings I used on Win 10, no issues with for example SRS, OpenTrack or other applications I use with DCS.

Good to know, but I’m still not convinced about upgrading to Windows 11, as it does not seem to offer any compelling feature over my current Windows 10. 

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 8/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Good to know, but I’m still not convinced about upgrading to Windows 11, as it does not seem to offer any compelling feature over my current Windows 10. 

I'd say that unless you have a very specific reason to run what's basically a Beta-OS on your computer with all which that entails: wait with installing it until it's released mainstream into the update-channel.

Since I'm a mental muppet with less sense than your average broom and a glutton for punishment to boot, I'm running it everywhere I can, even on my daily driver at work 😛

• Like 3

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Here is a somewhat surprising, positive user experience with Win 11:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

They let you "test" Windows 11 in a browser now. All the features aren't enabled of course, but you can click around a little as well as open a browser in it. So of course I went to the Windows 11 test website in that browser to see if you can test Windows 11 within Windows 11. I was amused.

Not sure if that helps with your decision.

• Thanks 2

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

• 1 month later...

Even if ED endorses Windows 11, I will not be upgrading my current Windows 10 anytime soon .. too much risk for too little gain.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BaD CrC said:

I am surprised ED didn't put some disclaimer unlike they didn't find any issue.

No disclaimer needed, as the DCS requirements state quite clearly what is the supported OS:

"Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; "

• Like 1

It doesn't say Windows 10 "or Better" on the Product pages, so that's the answer to your question until it's changed.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Hood69 said:

Mine dont work anymore after updating to Windows 11!! 😞
Have reintalled it 2-times (the last time I did delet the whole DCS directory)

Looks like an antivirus issue to me .. check your antivirus logs and add the DCS File Path to the exclusion list of your AV.

• Like 1

Remember that if you're on an AMD-CPU, install the latest chipset-drivers, install KB5006746, and set a Ryzen powerplan in the controlpanel. That solves the early issues people had with Win11 on AMD.

Running on the RTM of Win11 now. Zero issues what so ever, small increase in fps (3-5fps average).

Your mileage may vary.

Ryzen 5 3600, 32Gb RAM on a ASUS TUF B450M mobo. 1660Super 6Gb GPU.

• Like 1

Regards

Fjordmonkey

JOY!!!
Reinstalled STEAM and DCS and now it works!!!
I did a uppgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and it seams it f...ed up something with Steam.
Maybe a clean installation would bee the best option in the first place...

Edited by Hood69
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Hood69 said:

JOY!!!
Reinstalled STEAM and DCS and now it works!!!
I did a uppgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and it seams it f...ed up something with Steam.
Maybe a clean installation would bee the best option in the first place...

Thanks for your feedback. 👍

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I went to Windows 11 this weekend and didnt notice anything adverse. If anything, I had a little bit of a performance enhancement as I dont see stuttering as much as I did in Win10. I will also say this - Windows 11 is still Windows 10, but a lot of legacy stuff removed and a new GUI style makes stuff more streamlined. I dont much care for the new GUI layout, but maybe someone at M$ will bring back certain things that they shouldnt have done away with...like folder preview icons.  I like, but lets be honest...its the same version of Windows. Its not an upgrade, its an update.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

• 2 months later...

I’ve just ordered a new pc and they can only pre install windows 11 on it so hopefully I will find dcs works like some have said. If not I will have to format and reinstall windows 10. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV