Processor question.

To you clever blokes out there.

I have a i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz, But I notice that a lot of guys are in the 4 and 5 Ghz range. I fly mainly in VR, and I've been having serious issues with frames lately. I was under the impression that this was a reasonably good "gaming" processor when I bought it a year ago. Is it crap?

Specs are: i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

EDIT:  Apparently the i7-9700F has a "Turbo boost" of 4.7Ghz that kicks in when gaming etc.

Edited by Grievo
Title said questions... it was only the one singular question.

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

• Grievo changed the title to Processor question.
8 hours ago, Der Hirte said:

Not crap, but cannot compete with the usual top of the shelf processors.

I’d be interested in this thread to find out if my i7700k (currently overclocked using the BIOS automatic OC system up to 4.8GHz) would be substantially improved by moving to something like an 11900k especially in the context of the upcoming Vulkan API. I guess I’m asking, has anyone that is also using VR who might have made that jump been able to notice a significant performance with something like my 2080ti?

To be clear, I think DCS VR performance is actually awesome on something like a Reverb but I recognise it struggles somewhat in multiplayer. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

3 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

I’d be interested in this thread to find out if my i7700k (currently overclocked using the BIOS automatic OC system up to 4.8GHz) would be substantially improved by moving to something like an 11900k especially in the context of the upcoming Vulkan API. I guess I’m asking, has anyone that is also using VR who might have made that jump been able to notice a significant performance with something like my 2080ti?

To be clear, I think DCS VR performance is actually awesome on something like a Reverb but I recognise it struggles somewhat in multiplayer. 

Hey Willie,

Might be a lesson on sucking eggs for you, but I tried a few things from this video today and I've had a noticeable improvement with my CPU performance. The GPU is still a bit of a bottleneck, but that's a global problem at the moment so patience is the key there. But It has gotten noticeably better in multiplayer. I understand this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps all the same.

i7-9700F, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2080 Super, HP Reverb G2.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:50 AM, Grievo said:

Hey Willie,

Might be a lesson on sucking eggs for you, but I tried a few things from this video today and I've had a noticeable improvement with my CPU performance. The GPU is still a bit of a bottleneck, but that's a global problem at the moment so patience is the key there. But It has gotten noticeably better in multiplayer. I understand this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps all the same.

Not at all. I haven't looked at all that for some time and I've basically spent the last 24 hours going over the lot. XMP enabled used to cause a CTD so I didn't worry about it. Tried it again and it's all good now. As for the rest, I went through and made sure everything was overclocked correctly and background processes were all off where possible and I thought I might have noticed an improvement but benchmarking in various modes funnily enough showed a tiny decrease in performance on every aspect. 

It looks like it is indeed a better CPU that I will be looking for eventually. Having said that, DCS is still pretty good on my rig even in MP, so I shouldn't complain. Thanks. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.