Das Feuer

One problem that I have with the Viper is that I always find my self with fumes at the end of a sortie, especially if I'm doing A-G using both stations 2 and 5 for bombs and not for fuel tanks.

Is it possible to add CFT (Conformal Fuel Tanks) to the Viper, like in the mission editor the creator has the option to choose between CFT Viper and non-CFT Viper, so that way we will have more fuel while not occupying stations 2 and 5 for fuel bags. Is it possible in terms of classified info? And if so will we see that later with the Viper or not?

I know of the mod but the thing is the mod requires all players to have it and not all player have it nor know or want to get it.

Personally I would really really love to see that makes the Viper much better of a fighter and the CFT makes it look much meaner.     

• Like 3

Looking For A Real Dynamic Campaign?

Come And Check Out XSAF!

MAKE SURE TO READ THE RULES AND PERSONALY I RECOMMEND CHECKING OUT SOME VIDS ON YOUTUBE.

Growling Sidewinder's video               Natty Ice's video                              

Not gonna happen at least not with this version of the Viper. ED has always firmly stated that they're modeling a late 2000s ANG Viper and they never used CFTs.

The reality is that Vipers pretty much always fly with wing tanks exactly because of what you experienced and their short legs without those tanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Das Feuer said:

One problem that I have with the Viper is that I always find my self with fumes at the end of a sortie, especially if I'm doing A-G using both stations 2 and 5 for bombs and not for fuel tanks.

I'm all for more options but I'm not sure if CFT's will help you if you have trouble with the plane as is. The centerline tank on the F-16 is good for about 4-500 mile combat radius, which is around enough to get from Liwa to Kerman on the Gulf map. Climb to ~36000 ft in mil and then cruise at 3000-4000 PPH fuel burn. You should be around Mach 0.80-.0.84. When you're out of weapons you can get to ~40,000 ft and sub 3000 PPH.

The only conditions where endurance should be an issue is if you're carrying too much to exceed 30000 ft. Avoid the TER racks and multiple CBU's. You can comfortably carry 2 Mav's and 2 bombs essentially forever.

• Like 4

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Is it possible to add CFT (Conformal Fuel Tanks) to the Viper, like in the mission editor the creator has the option to choose between CFT Viper and non-CFT Viper, so that way we will have more fuel while not occupying stations 2 and 5 for fuel bags. Is it possible in terms of classified info? And if so will we see that later with the Viper or not?

I know of the mod but the thing is the mod requires all players to have it and not all player have it nor know or want to get it.
Personally I would really really love to see that makes the Viper much better of a fighter and the CFT makes it look much meaner.     

You dont need CFTs, you need to learn to manage your fuel.
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

You dont need CFTs, you need to learn to manage your fuel.

I do manage the fuel get sorties of around 50 min or so but when you are heading for strike but 2 bandits popped out of no where and you need to start gain altitude and speed you are most likely be on fumes when you land if you continue your strike mission not mentioning that you most of the time you will get bandits heading your way.

I wish I could carry 3/2 bags but if I do so I decrease my strike payload and that cause no need for that fuel so it's quite hard to get point on with the amount of fuel you need for each sortie.

12 hours ago, Smoked said:

Not this again...

This request has been asked for many times and has been denied many times... 

Copy thanks!

Searched on the forums to see if someone asked about CFT for the Viper before didn't see anything sorry.

Edited by Das Feuer

Come And Check Out XSAF!

MAKE SURE TO READ THE RULES AND PERSONALY I RECOMMEND CHECKING OUT SOME VIDS ON YOUTUBE.

13 hours ago, Exorcet said:

I'm all for more options but I'm not sure if CFT's will help you if you have trouble with the plane as is. The centerline tank on the F-16 is good for about 4-500 mile combat radius, which is around enough to get from Liwa to Kerman on the Gulf map. Climb to ~36000 ft in mil and then cruise at 3000-4000 PPH fuel burn. You should be around Mach 0.80-.0.84. When you're out of weapons you can get to ~40,000 ft and sub 3000 PPH.

The only conditions where endurance should be an issue is if you're carrying too much to exceed 30000 ft. Avoid the TER racks and multiple CBU's. You can comfortably carry 2 Mav's and 2 bombs essentially forever.

Usually if I do strike I will carry 4 AIM-120 4 JDAM-38 2 GBU-12 TGP and  a central fuel bag, I may switch between GBU-12 rockets and CBU bombs but the loadout is usually like that.

My problem is less with the fuel management and more with things that can happen on the way to my strike mission, I can come across 2 bandits going straight towards me and that will require me to go and do BVR which is wasting lots of fuel. so it's quite a task by its self trying to think if I should take 1/2/3 bags of fuel because 1 bag wont get me through a long flight if bandits are heading towards me or will get me on fumes but 2/3 will be to much because I will have to much fuel and less bombs making the fuel useless.

Thanks for the help though I will try and do the 3000-4000 thing usually I'm going 90% throttle all the way to have the airspeed incase I need to react quickly to a bandit.

Come And Check Out XSAF!

5 hours ago, Das Feuer said:

Usually if I do strike I will carry 4 AIM-120 4 JDAM-38 2 GBU-12 TGP and  a central fuel bag, I may switch between GBU-12 rockets and CBU bombs but the loadout is usually like that.

My problem is less with the fuel management and more with things that can happen on the way to my strike mission, I can come across 2 bandits going straight towards me and that will require me to go and do BVR which is wasting lots of fuel. so it's quite a task by its self trying to think if I should take 1/2/3 bags of fuel because 1 bag wont get me through a long flight if bandits are heading towards me or will get me on fumes but 2/3 will be to much because I will have to much fuel and less bombs making the fuel useless.

Thanks for the help though I will try and do the 3000-4000 thing usually I'm going 90% throttle all the way to have the airspeed incase I need to react quickly to a bandit.

So lots to break down here... 

Working a single viper trying to take on multiple tasks/targets on one VUL  is not what the jet was designed for.   Fuel consumption is what you need to learn to master... If you are in Mil power everywhere and bellow 20k you are going to burn through it, especially with the load out you described based on drag alone.   We fly the viper all the time with realistic load outs and have done hops that last well over an hour with fuel remaining.   The difference is throttle management and realistic expectations of the jet.   We run 2 GBU 12's total... 2 MAVS total... or 2 Harms (or a combination) and we have fuel for days,  difference is we take extra jets... We Hardly touch gates unless we absolutely have too... slow climb up to altitudes making turns if needed to stay in neutral areas until we get between 24-30k... ETC>.. 

30 minutes ago, Smoked said:

So lots to break down here... 

Working a single viper trying to take on multiple tasks/targets on one VUL  is not what the jet was designed for.   Fuel consumption is what you need to learn to master... If you are in Mil power everywhere and bellow 20k you are going to burn through it, especially with the load out you described based on drag alone.   We fly the viper all the time with realistic load outs and have done hops that last well over an hour with fuel remaining.   The difference is throttle management and realistic expectations of the jet.   We run 2 GBU 12's total... 2 MAVS total... or 2 Harms (or a combination) and we have fuel for days,  difference is we take extra jets... We Hardly touch gates unless we absolutely have too... slow climb up to altitudes making turns if needed to stay in neutral areas until we get between 24-30k... ETC>.. 

Yeah wish it was possible to do this in the mission I fly in it's just not possible to have this amount of players.

Come And Check Out XSAF!

22 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

What mission? if its a shit mission then choose a different one. requiring you to take 4 stations of bombs isnt very realistic.

You are welcome to try it out join the discord link below, the mission is like a real dynamic campaign with a costume code of around 53,000 lines. 

There isn't something like this our there.

16 hours ago, Cupra said:

Or go and look for a squadron to join and stop flying alone 😉

Kinda part of a mission flying with XSAF costume mission with costume code at around 53,000 lines link to the discord is below.

Come And Check Out XSAF!

USAF F-16s do not have the plumbing necessary to mount CFTs. Some other nations do, but none in the US. 

US F-16s always carry two fuel tanks into combat. Combat missions are simply never flown with all 4 wing stations loaded with ordnance, it not's practical, and individual jets are never expected to hit that many targets in a single sortie anyway. That's what wingmen are for. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

If the mission requires 4 stations of bombs its not a good mission

Again come and try it out I will change your mind.

Come And Check Out XSAF!

Why does everyone try to fly as one-man army these days? If you load your aircraft to the brim with weapons, you are going to have fun time against someone that actually uses brain when making the loadout he's going to fly or against cleverly organized AD network

• Like 4

Here's a fun exercise: look for pictures of Vipers IRL carrying CFTs, and using all the underwing stations for weapons. You won't find many of them. Contrary to popular belief CFTs are there to increase range and/or loiter time (e.g. to allow the IAF to strike in Iran, or to allow the HAF to loiter over Cyprus with jets based in mainland Greece), or at best to reduce drag by just not using the wing tanks, not to free up the inboard stations for additional weapons.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • NineLine locked this topic
  • Wags pinned this topic