What is the best helo to start with?

I played Jane's Longbow Apache long time ago (and a galaxy far far away), I guess even though I still have the memory to know how to fly, it may be irrelevant now.

So, thanks to the "free-to-try" programme, which one is the best for newcomer to try out?

Thanks.

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Huey feels good and is fairly simple.

Hip feels even better but is a little more complex.

Both are worth buying. 

If I had to pick one, it would be the Hip.

I don't fly the Huey much anymore since I got the Mi-8.

Hind is good too, but I won't start with it. 

For a beginner to first get into Helicopters, the Huey is probably a good choice.

Don't bother with the Gazelle or KA-50 as a first choice - both a rather special.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I'd go with the Mi-8 or the Mi-24 as they are a bit less sensitive than the Sa-342 (which is fast and manoeuvrable - but a bit of a handful) and the Mil helicopters lack the extensive automation of the Ka-50... so they prepare one for flying normal helicopters in a way the Ka-50 doesn't. The Ka-50 is the easiest to fly though.

• Like 1

I tried the Bell-47, but I cannot even get off the ground…🥶

• Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Search for Casmo on youtube.

He explains the basic physics and controls of helicopter flying very well.

Understanding the actual principles is very helpful to get of the ground.

There are a couple of very good youtube tutorials out there.

And the BFM apply usually universal ly to any Helicopter. 

VsTerminus is another good source (mostly for the Hip)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 6/26/2021 at 10:05 AM, VFGiPJP said:

I played Jane's Longbow Apache long time ago (and a galaxy far far away), I guess even though I still have the memory to know how to fly, it may be irrelevant now.

So, thanks to the "free-to-try" programme, which one is the best for newcomer to try out?

Thanks.

Just go for the helo that appeals to you the most.

They are all great fun to fly and all have their pros and cons as why to choose them.

As for system/avionics complexity and learning curve my personal list would be (from easy to more challenging):

1. Huey
  2. Mi-24 (because if you want you can have Petrovich do most of the clickety click) 
  3. Gazelle (even though it's French 🥖)
  4. Ka-50 (lots of stuff to learn, but MFD makes it easier)
  5. Mi-8 (similarly old fashion as the Mi-24, but here you'll have to do all stuff yourself)

As for flight characteristics learning curve, my personal list would be (from easy to more challenging):

1. Ka-50
  2. Huey
  3. Gazelle (once you get used to the very VERY sensitive controls)
  4. Mi-8 and Mi-24 (VRS is your enemy 😛)

(Though, if you fly in VR, you'll be able to land any of them on a postage stamp before you know it)

But again:

Just go for the one you like most :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

For flying fun, I'd recommend the Huey. For having a great thing I'd go for the Hind. For ease of use (flying included) und combat efficiency I'd go for the Shark.

Also, do watch those vsTerminus tutorials, they're pure gold.

And I can't emphasize it enough: If you can, get yourself into VR. I've been flying DCS in VR on an old 3570k (OC @ 4.4) with a 1080 non-ti through a CV1. Anything like a 1060 or 1660 6G, 1070, 2060 or 5700 should do similarly well. Either get a relatively cheap Quest 2 or try grabbing a used Rift CV1 / S or VIVE (Pro) or Samsung Oddyssey+ for the entry if you're on a budget. It's worth it absolutely, especially when flying helos.

Also keep in mind that the Ka-50 is still the old price. Later this summer the Upgrade BS3 will come and ED will handle it similarly to the A-10C. You'll be able to get the upgrade for 10 bucks probably within the first month, later on you'll only have the full package for 80 then. So get the Shark now ideally so you can still save on the old price tag with the sale rebate and get the upgrade for not too much once it drops.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yup, as my handle implies (typo, sorry), I fly almost exclusively in VR…

I'd have to say MI-24, it's honestly got the feel of weight that it should have. It's monstrous and if you learn to fly it, you feel that you've accomplished something. Just hovering around the pad is satisfying. I've got them all and I just simply fell in love with the 24.  

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

As much as I like the Mi-24, I would not recommend it as a beginner chopper.

It is a very role specialized helicopter and that shows. It's not the most versatile one and its flight characteristics can be tricky.

If you want to feel the weight and inertia and a superb, but slightly more forgiving, flight modell - go with the Hip.

If you want to feel the same things to a slightly lesser extend, but with a less overwhelming complexity - go with the Huey.

Let's not forget that OP asked for the best beginner Helicopter, not for the best Helicopter Module.

As much as I love and admire the Mi-8 Hip, after considering my own train of arguments here, my ultimative recommendation to get into serious simulated helicopter flying would be the Huey.

I would love to recommend the Gazelle, but it flight and control modeling is totally wrong, so player will learn incorrect habits (even with the table joystick etc).  This because it has one of the most enjoyable weapon arsenal (four missiles, few rockets, gun and IR missiles) and it is so cool to have a second small joystick to move that Viviane and have a FLIR with it.

I would take the Huey for the lightweight flying and the feeling. But not for the combat. Its weapons are just unsuitable for DCS World at the moment, where the AI door gunners does better job than rockets with it. 

The KA-50 is fancy, it is easy to fly (difficult to learn) because it is so automated, but doesn't teach the traditional helicopter functions. It has at the moment the best weapons and targeting systems for day-time use (gazelle has the FLIR).

The Mi-8 is maybe still the best cargo helicopter, and you can use rockets, gunpods and grenades to make serious damage, but only if you get close enough. So not so suitable in DCS against AI that can nail you.

And this leaves you for Mi-24P. No troop transport yet, no extra rocket loading from cargo space, a fancy AT missiles (with questionable sight stabilization at the moment, as well pilot sight accuracy, but it is all Early Access) that is in overall package the best at the moment for combat. You just don't really hover with it and sneak around like in KA-50. You go and you attack and you repeat the attack with new heading.

If wanted for sneak action, I would wait the Kiowa Warrior that should come out this year.

The very honorable mention needs to be given for the AH-6J free mod helicopter. The developer (one guy) was hired by Razbam to program the Bo-105 flight modeling (IIRC).

It is excellent for just getting in touch with the helicopters overall before making a purchase (better than gazelle in that regard) as you get a minigun and rockets with it. That mod was meant to be a EFM base for other helicopter mods to come. Let's hope and see that modders would see a possibility there. 

So if I would need to pick one right now, I would have hard time to say between Mi-8, Mi-24 and KA-50. 

• Like 3

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No objection to @Fri13, only a thought about my experience:

If you're seriously interested in learning to fly a helicopter, you'll be busy and entertained for ages before you even think about deploying weapons -

but that's only one style of play and need not to apply to everbody of course!

30 minutes ago, Hiob said:

No objection to @Fri13, only a thought about my experience:

If you're seriously interested in learning to fly a helicopter, you'll be busy and entertained for ages before you even think about deploying weapons -

but that's only one style of play and need not to apply to everbody of course!

I don't talk about myself. 

OP has not stated that what he want to do and if you carefully read his posts, specifically has not said that he just want to fly. 

He said that he has experience from the Jane's Longbow from long time ago, so it is safe to assume that he wants to do the combat (or otherwise he wouldn't be in DCS World but in some other ones) as well, and that is the thing here. 

The learning to fly a helicopter != learning to fly the helicopter without weapons and it systems.

Many will jump to these planes never spending time to even learn how to start-up it. It is not a shame. Even a ED directors enjoy to fly without knowing how to start them.

If someone enjoy from the combat, they can do the combat parts and enjoy from it even when you are at start for flying them. 

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Guys, let me put it this way. I just wish to try out flying a chopter in DCS out of curiosity sake. I tried both AH-6 and Bell-47 and I find that what I learned is totally irrelevant. There is no message saying "APU, Power-up, Operational. Cheetah-1 takes off"

After I get the recommendations above, I read the Chuck's Guide of UH-1H just to confirm that this is a whole new world.

I tried both AH-6 and Bell-47 again again in the latest OB -- I managed top flip the AH-6 upside down (!!!) and I could not even leave the airfield since even though I was up, pushing the cyclic forward did not move the chopter forward. I had better luck with Bell-47, I could leave the ground straight up, even though I had to fight the chopter's tendency to drift to the right, and landed it a couple of hundreds of meter.

Please be clear I am not complaining since they are free mod and one has stopped development more than 6 months ago.

So, I am going to use the "free to play" programme to try out one paid chopter.  Thank you everyone here taking time reading my stupid question and voicing your opinions.

Edited by VFGiPJP

I‘d recommend to watch some youtube tutorials for basic DCS helicopter flying.

It helps to get it going.The rest is practicing.

vsTerminus has some good tutorials (for the Hip - but regarding the basic flight mechanics, they are universal).. 

but there are several others!

• Thanks 1

Update: I finally fall and try out the UH-1H. I can take off, hover and fly a little bit (beginner's luck) but I still need to polish my landings. 😄

Thanks again, everyone.

• Like 4

Huey is a good start and teaches all the basics very nicely indeed.

The Mi-8 is in a league of its own but some experience is required from simpler choppers like the Huey... for utility choppers, nothing touches the MI-8 in DCS. It is currently the best modelled chopper in DCS but the crown is starting to topple off its head.

The MI-24 will be the best modelled chopper in DCS. 

The KA-50 is simply something very special. in its weight/weapons class, it is amazingly manoeuvrable. 

the Gazelle is the most manoeuvrable but more so it shows how Western Europeans think optical targeting is done in the modern battlefield... and I like the way we Europeans think.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I have to say you should buy the mission and not the airframe.

Normally I’d just say go get the Huey because it is simple to operate and teaches you all the basics of whirlybirds , but I’ve been convinced to change my thinking.

if you come from janes and are in to gunships, I don’t think you’ll enjoy the Huey as much as the ka50 or the hind.

The ka50 shark will prep you for the Apache and I’m assuming you’ll want to jump on that. The ka50 will fly mostly like a jet too once you understand the autopilots and trim, so most of what you’ll be doing is managing your optics and weapons. It has several campaigns and lots of content, updating cockpit and great audio. Honestly I think ka50 is where you should go if you love gunships

edit: to clarify, if you want general utility like transport plus gunning then go for Huey. If you want utility with extra challenge in landing go with mi-8. If you want scouting go with gaz. If you want Hunter/killer gunship go with ka50. If you want aerial artillery and fun multicrew go with hind.

Edited by S. Low
  • Thanks 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Interesting idea. In this case, it may be Ka-50, OH-58D or the AH-64D then.