It's decision time; Quest 2 or Reverb G2?

Allentc2

I've have watched videos and read posts, and I'm still no closer to a decision. I've never used VR, hell, I've barely played DCS!! But I'm gonna get one of these two this weekend!

In one sentence, tell me which one you'd get and why. 

Partial computer specs for the techies...

Aorus Elite X570 mobo

Ryzen 9 5900X

AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

G2 - I love mine! Sharpness superb and as for FOV it doesn’t really bother me.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Reverb G2. Handles native PC-VR nicely and image is superb.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm owner of Quest 2 and can tell you you want it both. G2 is best buy option with perfect balanced quality and price. Quest 2 is cheaper but have in mind you have to upgrade it for comfort and audio and cable. With this upgrades it is not any more that cheep but WiFi is the blessing.
For sims like DCS, ED, ACC what ever else title G2 is perfect solution and way better then Quest 2 but Quest two shining with his simplicity and WiFi/standalone even when you are playing Half life Alyx or Onward from your PC. To be honest I'm using it more for multimedia then for games and I love it. That's why you want it too.

Personally it is even good experience in DCS, I'm satisfied but G2 is definitely better for it and I'm still aiming for it but will never sell my Q2 because I will use it for casual usage as stern games where Wireless freedom means more than perfect clarity.

Now all depend on you and what do you need for. You can chose Q2 to see is the VR for you at all and than latter upgrade to G2 or even maybe Pimax 8KX or go straight for G2 and than latter get Quest 2 for more freedom. What ever you decide you will want them both in the end. Trust me.

I have had the original Quest for quite some time. Like Quest 2 it also can play PC-VR via the Link cable.

It has sat in a drawer collecting dust for quite some time.  My preference is native PC-VR, I much prefer it over a Quest.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

G2.  That being said, since you have AMD equipment, do some research on some of the problems people have been having with running the G2 with AMD stuff.  Don't know if the gripes are legitimate, but I have seen some.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

1 hour ago, Allentc2 said:

Trigger pulled. G2 on the way. 

👍

Congrats!

Don B

1 hour ago, Allentc2 said:

Trigger pulled. G2 on the way. 

you'll love it!  awesome.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Nothing more to add than what others have already described.

I too have both and started off with the Q2. However, I found that software updates after v23 caused horrible horrible performance related issues that just didn't make it feasible (at least for me) to sustain a baseline, and frustration over the weeks of constant tweaking finally had me purchasing a G2. Now, once the initial setup and configuration is completed (and it's not without its problems, as described - AMD platforms and the G2 'USB' connectivity issues) the G2 hasn't required any further tweaks and runs good enough to keep me coming back. I don't enjoy DCS without VR. I can't go back to the monitor and TrackIR as the immersion just isn't the same.

Whatever option you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

My Vote: HP Reverb G2 (AMD user - make sure you have updated your motherboard BIOS to the latest version available) - Better clarity and performance

Edited by Dodge

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)