Can't control ATGM - axis tuning recommendations?

I'm really struggling to keep control of the Shturm after launch.  More often than not it impacts near the intended target, who then just kinda go "meh" and drive off.

I've tried axis curves and saturation but I just can't get it good enough for fine control.

I'm using the Warthog throttle slew axis, with Delta Sim's superb thumbstick upgrade.

How are other's controlling the Shturm?

I use my VKB to steer.
It comes down to how smooth the pilot is, you can even mess up the AI moving around a lot as pilot. It's quite hard aiming when crazy Ivan is driving sometimes.
The real controls look big and bulky full size, like seen in the M1A1 gunner position which would help I guess being old school.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

There is possibility that the stabilization system is not as effective as it should. Because various documentation talks about 0.92 hit probability when pilot is free to turn up to 60 degrees.

At the moment you can't really make any maneuvers as sight will collide and be thrown away. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

20 hours ago, David OC said:

I use my VKB to steer.
It comes down to how smooth the pilot is, you can even mess up the AI moving around a lot as pilot. It's quite hard aiming when crazy Ivan is driving sometimes.
The real controls look big and bulky full size, like seen in the M1A1 gunner position which would help I guess being old school.

Yeah, my pilot buddy is a pretty smooth flier.  Well, as much as he can be given the Hind's tendency to become a rocking horse.  I've been getting more success using the mouse to steer the missile to target, so I'll stick with that and wait to see if the overall system becomes more stable during early access.

• Like 1

The number one rule is that the pilot has to be very stable, otherwise you are wasting your time. You need to give Petro a long run in so he can stabilize first and even then he sometimes gets twitchy. I've found that the mouse is the most accurate controller and allows fine tuning, also turning off the little red arrow helps a lot as I find it distracting. 

One thing I've found that is quite a bit of fun is to actually fly the helicopter from the gunner cockpit, get it very stable and then switch to the missle sight. With proper trimming sometimes you get more stability from not dealing with Petro's flying in the first place. usually very light rudder inputs is all that are needed if trimmed properly. 

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

So with a warthog Hotas setup...I ended up mapping the ministick of the throttle to the up down left right slew of the aiming station with a saturation of 35 percent. It works great for large slew.. so I added a secondary mapping of slew controls to the hat of the warthog stick..to supplement small slew movements

The combination works ok...somewhat functional..I was able to hit tanks via the training mission..(obviously helicopter in hover)

I WISH THE BUTTON FUNCTION OF THE Slew didn't have to float..I dislike having to make opposing micro button presses to the hat in order to stop the movement of the slew..have to see if there are options to deal with this.... I can only imagine how difficult it can be when flying with a pilot, no Ai..

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

TBH, I find it more stable with human pilot( if he knows anything about flying) than with AI. With AI, every time I fire, helicopter twitches which throws my aim off. 

Also, when I am pilot and have human operator, I often find helicopter rocking up and down (with me doing absolutely nothing), but it is dead stable for operator.

I am also having a lot of difficulty with the slew rate of the targeting cursor.  I have a CH Products Pro Throttle and am using the mini-joystick.  The cursor moves on its own without any input. I have tried to adjust all of the settings (deadzone, curve, saturation, etc..) but have not found a combination that improves cursor control.

Does anyone have axis tune settings for the mini-joystick that may help this issue?  I really don't understand what the saturation values are supposed to do.

This does not have anything to do with helicopter movement, as I have been trying to hit targets with the aircraft in Active Pause mode during my training.

10 hours ago, Chops said:

I am also having a lot of difficulty with the slew rate of the targeting cursor.  I have a CH Products Pro Throttle and am using the mini-joystick.  The cursor moves on its own without any input. I have tried to adjust all of the settings (deadzone, curve, saturation, etc..) but have not found a combination that improves cursor control.

Does anyone have axis tune settings for the mini-joystick that may help this issue?  I really don't understand what the saturation values are supposed to do.

This does not have anything to do with helicopter movement, as I have been trying to hit targets with the aircraft in Active Pause mode during my training.

If it moves on its own, you have multiple inputs. Be sure to scroll to the right in aiming station axis tab and clear everything except one control you want to use.

Saturation will change how precise your controls are. Let's say at 100% saturation, you will slew 20 deg/s at full deflection, half deflection is 10 deg/s. With saturation at 50%, your slew rate now is up to 10 deg/s, half deflection 5 deg/s.

Edited by admiki