Mission 11 suggestion

Right, gotcha. Lesser of two weevils, I guess. 

Well, I can always edit my progress in the logbook so I'm fine with that. Still it'd be nice if there were a better way to sequence missions ! Wishlist for ED. 😄 

Thanks for the discussion and taking the time, much appreciated. Now I need to go do some actual work I'm paid for but tonight I'm tasked to sit Alert 5 on a carrier in the Black Sea. Probably nothing, I'll bring a paperbook to read in the cockpit. 😉 

• Thanks 1

Oh man the AAR, 20 minutes it took me to get onto the basket in the turn only to have my wingman collide with me...flew the entire mission no acceleration and the AI smashes into me half way through the refuel. 

Any chance of having the tanker do a longer straight and level segment in future campaigns please?

I don't normally have such difficulty with the basket but the F-14 is so twitchy.

1 hour ago, Shibbyland said:

Oh man the AAR, 20 minutes it took me to get onto the basket in the turn only to have my wingman collide with me...flew the entire mission no acceleration and the AI smashes into me half way through the refuel. 

Any chance of having the tanker do a longer straight and level segment in future campaigns please?

I don't normally have such difficulty with the basket but the F-14 is so twitchy.

Indeed. AAR in a turn is tricky in any airplane, doubly so in the Cat. Some people (including real-life F14 pilots apparently) recommend moving the wings aft to the "bombing" position. It's supposed to make it easier, I don't know.

And yes, the hard right break of the wingman when they disconnect, right into you flying on the tanker's right wing is such a pain. I took to flying much more forward on the tanker's wing and a bit high to avoid this. Thanks ED for a lovely AI. 🙄

Fly safe,

Buzz

• 1 year later...

It's now 2023 and the AI AAR is still bugged. On the first attempt at this mission I order wingman to get to tanker after I refuel. He r"roger"s that. He then just sits behind the tanker and does not put his boom out. I go to wypt 2 after waiting a while. I start my intercept and hear the wingman say he is rejoining me. He then hits bingo fuel. We take out the Mig29's and he ejects and I made the mistake of going after the transport and die.

Second attempt at mission 11, after I refuel the wingman says negative and refuses to fly to tanker when ordered. He then goes bingo fuel , and ejects.

I don't want to do this again. This is a long mission. I know how to refuel in the Tomcat. I don't think Elvis knows how.

• Like 1

PC Hardware: i9-12900k, RTX 3080 10GB, 32GB DDR5 4400MHz, NVME.2 Drives, Alienware 38" 3840x1600 144MHz Monitor, TrackIR Pro Clip, HP Reverb G2 V2 

Flight Controls: Winwing Orion 1 FA-18 Stick and Throttle HOTAS / Logitech Rudder Pedals

DCS Modules: Too many to list after the 15 year sale

25 minutes ago, Chief_Biv said:

It's now 2023 and the AI AAR is still bugged. On the first attempt at this mission I order wingman to get to tanker after I refuel. He r"roger"s that. He then just sits behind the tanker and does not put his boom out. I go to wypt 2 after waiting a while. I start my intercept and hear the wingman say he is rejoining me. He then hits bingo fuel. We take out the Mig29's and he ejects and I made the mistake of going after the transport and die.

Second attempt at mission 11, after I refuel the wingman says negative and refuses to fly to tanker when ordered. He then goes bingo fuel , and ejects.

I don't want to do this again. This is a long mission. I know how to refuel in the Tomcat. I don't think Elvis knows how.

You should be reporting this to ED’s AI programmers not me. Ai AAR gets broken the fixed then broken again since I can remember. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just flew this this morning and was able to get Elvis to refuel.

1. Form up on the tanker

2. Contact tanker and send "Intent to refuel"

3. Order flight to go to tanker

4. When wingman is done send "ready precontact"

The only problem that I ran into was that Elvis took all the fuel. I only got 1k before the tanker retracted the drogue and turned for home.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

I have tried this mission now for about 15 times (no kidding) and can say I have only "really" flown ONCE!  It is a masterpiece!!!! Thanks a lot!

But here are my issues:
- 14 of the 15 times, after startup, I go into the catapult (whichever catapult) and the process will go out perfectly up to the last man which gives you the right hand side-to-side motions to go.  I go into full non-afterburner power, salute (as I have always done and worked always perfectly), but no one changes position, no one kneels, I just stay there hooked to the catapult and no way of launching.  What am I doing wrong?
- I too had the tanker problem.  Here's what happened to me.  I went in to tank first, had a couple of disconnections so it took me "a bit", but not really a "very bad plugger".  The thing is, I had a disconnection at the very end, Jester tells me we are full, but the Tanker's "menu items" are gone.  I can no longer claim "abort refuel", and, of course, wingman always calls "negative", because there are no more tankers in flight according to the menus (although I am literally flying next to the tanker)

Spoiler

- Still, I managed to resume to waypoint 2 and the mission continues nicely, although, of course, my wingman calls bingo sooner... I sent him RTB, went in, got the first 29s, decided to go to the big guy, got him, decided (against what I usually do) to heed AWACS call and "get out of there" and still got killed.  All this is on me, nothing wrong (quite the contrary!) on the mission

- I'm trying to re-fly it, but I cannot get the catapult to launch me, no matter what!

Any advice? (Oh, and I would indeed make the changed suggestion to first send your wingman in to refuel and then try it yourself. Chances are your fuel is higher and it's OK if you move forward with less than a full tank, but if fuel capacity is an issue, then maybe instruct to take "half" and leave the rest to your wingman?)
PS. You can see EXACTLY the issue about the tanker I described on this Youtube video: 

On minute 1h28m30 secs, the menu item to access the tanker dissappears.

EDIT: So, I have the answer to my catapult problem!  I feel a little stupid, but during night you don't salute to catapult, you need to toggle the master lights switch on-off.  I had no idea.  Sorry.  It has nothing to do with the mission.

Edited by RafaPolit
  • Like 1

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 12:44 AM, Roosterfeet said:

Just flew this this morning and was able to get Elvis to refuel.

1. Form up on the tanker

2. Contact tanker and send "Intent to refuel"

3. Order flight to go to tanker

4. When wingman is done send "ready precontact"

The only problem that I ran into was that Elvis took all the fuel. I only got 1k before the tanker retracted the drogue and turned for home.

I just flew this mission and the same happened to me. As it says "Make sure Elvis tanks first", after joining up with Texaco, I sent him to refuel and he did. Then I called the tanker myself, he gave me less than 1000 lb and Texaco disappeared from the refuel menu, presumably out of fuel.

I would suggest, as someone said, to make you refuel first and take only 4000-5000 lb or replace the S-3 with a KC-135MPRS (we could assume it is based in Incirlik for support of the operation).

Anyway I was able to engage the MiGs, but did not have the fuel to go after the Candid, already at 40 NM cold. I tried to send Elvis while I RTB, but he did not even engage the afterburner and ended up attacked by the SA-11... well, the "Skip mission" option worked flawlessly 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem is not that the S-3 is bugged, it is that it is incapable of carrying enough fuel. At this point in the mission, each F-14 needs at least 10,000 lb to top it off and the S-3 carries about 17,000 lb of which maybe it will be able to give 12-13,000 with any luck. The new S-3 model will not fix that.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:26 PM, Cpt. Weber said:

In my scenario Elvis also couldn't refuel, as the tanker interrupted my refueling without warning, beside reaching a waypoint and headed back home. Because of that, Elvis was "unable". 

Is it possible the mission took me too long? I wasn't flying fast in the CAP station, chilling. Maybe the tanker runs out of the track?

I had the same issue. I was doing 350kts between waypoints so not too slow. But the tanker aborted during my refueling session. From then on none of the scripts triggered any more. I also tried to "skip refuel" but nothing happened. I flew back to WP2 then WP1 but nothing happened. I returned to the carrier but the mission result was still a draw.

Log attached.

miss11.log

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

As of the latest patch the tanker has unlimited fuel. 

I’m not near my pc these days but IIRC you need to use the spacebar or the F10 menu to indicate you finished refueling. Or you just need to get away from the tanker. it’s best to check some playthrough videos. 

unless of course you have any unofficial mods installed. 

The issue wasnt fuel, it was that the tanker RTB'ed and aborted refueling. I couldnt even communicate with the tanker any more from that point on. It didnt show up in the comms menu either.

I pressed spacebar multiple times but there wasnt even a message shown.

Edited by winghunter

58 minutes ago, Reflected said:

At what point did the tanker abort? After radio contact? Before? After plugging? They usually abort when they run out of fuel to give. 

I took about 4000lbs so i had about 14k when it aborted. There was no way to return pre-contact etc

Edited by winghunter

OK, I checked the mission. Did you damage the tanker? There is no reason why the tanker should abort, it should orbit there forever with unlimited fuel. If it decides to abort, that's within the core code and the tanker behavior - but again, I must ask whether you have any unofficial mods installed that may mess with core DCS behavior like this. Anything may cause this.

This being said, I've implemented some safeguards that lets the mission progress even if the tanker aborts. It will be in the next OB update.

39 minutes ago, Reflected said:

OK, I checked the mission. Did you damage the tanker? There is no reason why the tanker should abort, it should orbit there forever with unlimited fuel. If it decides to abort, that's within the core code and the tanker behavior - but again, I must ask whether you have any unofficial mods installed that may mess with core DCS behavior like this. Anything may cause this.

This being said, I've implemented some safeguards that lets the mission progress even if the tanker aborts. It will be in the next OB update.

No mods its a clean install. The only thing i can think of is I may have damaged the tanker without noticing. I got pretty close to it at one point even though it disconnected much later.

It didnt show any damage model, smoke or make any sound if there was a collision. I will try again.

Also im on latest OB maybe the behaviour is broken.

Edited by winghunter

once you contact the tanker via the built-in radio menu, it's all core DCS logic. How the tanker behaves, whether or not he aborts, etc...not controlled by the mission. I'm just thinking about what can possibly make it abort. Out of fuel? Damaged? Threat? It has unlimited fuel and there are no threats, so that's why I thought of possible damage.

• Like 1