VR and LEAPMOTION

Colmillo

After waiting a long time, DCS added LeapMotion to Special Configuration.

Personally, I can tell you that it is a very useful tool for VR users (Pimax in my case). But like all innovation it has some problems.

PROs
The activation interface is fast and has no problems
In the cockpit of the F-16 allows you to press the numeric keypad (Awesome)

CONs
It lacks stability, it costs a lot to keep the pointer stable.
Instructions for use are missing, if the hand is grasped, the green pointer appears and when turning it changes to blue, but what is the difference?
It is not indicated how to activate the selected (Pushing the hand, sometimes it works)

Well, I leave this post if someone has more information about it, both in its use and if any update is studied to improve it.

Cheers

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

i have a pimax5k+ and the leapmotion module.  (i thought i have wasted +150eur on this module) 

Since it was recently introduced to DCS, in its current state it is barely usable for anything. I hope this is WIP and will improve with time.  

and are we just two in here to have the leapmotion module ?

im pretty much surprised in low popularity of this module.  tbh, i don't believe in bulky vr hardware controllers you are supposed to hold in your hands or other stinky gloves you are supposed to wear, all those have just no future in VR. 

Leapmotion hand tracking technology is precise and decent enough, it should be exploited much deeper and given some serious attention from the devs. 

Edited by Teschmacher
  • Like 1

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+ 

others have been jumping in: 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 6/29/2021 at 11:37 AM, Teschmacher said:

i have a pimax5k+ and the leapmotion module.  (i thought i have wasted +150eur on this module) 

Since it was recently introduced to DCS, in its current state it is barely usable for anything. I hope this is WIP and will improve with time.  

and are we just two in here to have the leapmotion module ?

im pretty much surprised in low popularity of this module.  tbh, i don't believe in bulky vr hardware controllers you are supposed to hold in your hands or other stinky gloves you are supposed to wear, all those have just no future in VR. 

Leapmotion hand tracking technology is precise and decent enough, it should be exploited much deeper and given some serious attention from the devs. 

Totally agree with you!

On 6/29/2021 at 12:03 PM, javelina1 said:

others have been jumping in: 

Thanks, I did't know that open thread
cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

For me the only real issue is that touching a button or switch inside the cockpit with LeapMotion (or even a standard VR controller) will almost always cause it to activate more than once.

Upon touching, a switch will often flick on and then back off instantly and so I almost always need multiple tries to get a switch to stay on.

Same with buttons, I'm getting double and triple presses all the time. Trying to input coordinates or such is nigh impossible.

That being said, I'm very glad that there's some work being done on this. I'm sure these issues will be fixed sooner rather than later.

10 hours ago, galister said:

For me the only real issue is that touching a button or switch inside the cockpit with LeapMotion (or even a standard VR controller) will almost always cause it to activate more than once.

Upon touching, a switch will often flick on and then back off instantly and so I almost always need multiple tries to get a switch to stay on.

Same with buttons, I'm getting double and triple presses all the time. Trying to input coordinates or such is nigh impossible.

That being said, I'm very glad that there's some work being done on this. I'm sure these issues will be fixed sooner rather than later.

I really look forward to this being viable. I think it really will be the way of the future. I appreciate that others are getting in early to help in development but I’ll hold off for a while. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.