Dudes about radios in F18

peirof

Hi, 

I have some doubts about radios, and how and what communicate...

Starting data

- The F 18 has two radios (COMM 1 and COMM 2)
- Each radio can be tuned to 1 different channel
- In the mission editor you can pre-select, for each radio, 10 channels + (G) Guard channel + (C) Cue Channel + (S) Martime channel + (M) Manual.
- With the scrach pad, you select the channel for each radio.

Doubts

- The messages that are emitted by the two radios are heard. If COMM 1 is tuned to the base, and COMM 2, is tuned to the Group Leader, both messages will be heard. Not?
- However, when it is broadcast, you can only be heard on the channel you do it, if you broadcast on COMM 1, only the base will hear you, not the leader. Not?
- The distance at which the transmitter is influences, if it is very far you will not hear me, for example if I tune the destination base in COMM 2, does it influence? (If it's too far, can't you hear it?)
- Why, even though I am broadcasting on a base channel, when I select to communicate, does that base appear shaded in gray? And others blank? What do those shading mean?
- Do you recommend me a video where I explain the radios?
- What communications are mandatory / recommended? (For example: When I start to roll, notify the base tower or if I am going to start an attack or launch weapons or request a landing, and at what distance do I have to notify the base that I am going to land). Some document, video or text, where it explains the MANDATORY and OPTIONAL procedures in DCS

44 minutes ago, peirof said:

- Why, even though I am broadcasting on a base channel, when I select to communicate, does that base appear shaded in gray? And others blank? What do those shading mean?

I believe the shading would indicate you are in "easy comms" mode (check in the options menu), which might explain most of the other things you are questioning.  You don't need to tune radios in easy comms, they magically "work" no matter what you do.

• Like 1

As rob10 said, check that you have Easy Communication disabled (Options > Gameplay), as that will cause your radios to automatically tune for whatever you select and completely negate radio management. 

1 hour ago, peirof said:

- In the mission editor you can pre-select, for each radio, 10 channels + (G) Guard channel + (C) Cue Channel + (S) Martime channel + (M) Manual.

In the mission editor you can edit 20 channels for each radio. The others are pre-defined and cannot be edited. Manual (M) is intended for inputting a radio frequency without overriding any of your pre-programmed channels. In the Hornet both radios are identical and have the same V/UHF frequency range. 

- With the scrach pad, you select the channel for each radio.

Channel selection is done by rotating the knob underneath the relevant radio channel display on either side of the UFC. 

- The messages that are emitted by the two radios are heard. If COMM 1 is tuned to the base, and COMM 2, is tuned to the Group Leader, both messages will be heard. Not?

Heard by whom? You will hear any radio messages you broadcast yourself, you can always hear yourself. Whether or not the right person can hear you on the other end depends on if you have the proper frequency selected and key the correct radio. Make sure you're using the COM1 and COM2 transmit buttons and not the generic DCS com button, which only has a limited use in the full fidelity modules. 

- However, when it is broadcast, you can only be heard on the channel you do it, if you broadcast on COMM 1, only the base will hear you, not the leader. Not?

Correct. If you have Easy Communications turned off, only the people on the radio you broadcast on will be able to hear you. 

- The distance at which the transmitter is influences, if it is very far you will not hear me, for example if I tune the destination base in COMM 2, does it influence? (If it's too far, can't you hear it?)

DCS models both distance and line of sight limitations for radio communications. You will not be able to communicate with someone if they are beyond the max range of either your or their radio transmitter, determined by the broadcast power, or if they are on the other side of a solid object, like a mountain. 

It means that station is unavailable for your to communicate with. There are several reasons for that to happen. 

- What communications are mandatory / recommended? (For example: When I start to roll, notify the base tower or if I am going to start an attack or launch weapons or request a landing, and at what distance do I have to notify the base that I am going to land). Some document, video or text, where it explains the MANDATORY and OPTIONAL procedures in DCS

There aren't strictly any communications that are mandatory unless the mission designer makes them. On a ground base the tower will automatically give you taxi clearance once you start moving. Then I will usually request takeoff clearance once holding short of the runway. I usually call inbound to an airbase at about 30 miles out, same with an aircraft carrier, and request landing when I turn final to an airbase. Weapons release radio coms isn't modeled at all in DCS right now.

• Like 2

Do you refer only to communication menus, or also to SRS voice comms with other players? Because these are two different things.

Technically Hornet has 4 radios - 2 as you mentioned plus two digital MIDS channels.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2021 at 1:14 AM, peirof said:

Only play in solo mode...

No reason to not branch out! I found it surprising to learn that 70% of the player base is strictly single player, frankly I find that quite sad that the majority have never seen DCS close to it's full potential. If it was just a 50/50 split you would see hundreds more servers, and dozens of new popular ones. We just need to make MP sound more inviting. (I know that there are those that can't run in MP for performance reasons, or even time, but this is addressed to those who just haven't tried it at all yet.)

• Like 1

it is not my case,

I do not play in multiplayer, since due to an illness, my hearing was very damaged, between that and the language in public servers, it is usually English, it is not my native language, Spanish ...

They make it very difficult for me to play multiplayer ...

On 8/13/2021 at 6:26 PM, Hulkbust44 said:

No reason to not branch out! I found it surprising to learn that 70% of the player base is strictly single player, frankly I find that quite sad that the majority have never seen DCS close to it's full potential. If it was just a 50/50 split you would see hundreds more servers, and dozens of new popular ones. We just need to make MP sound more inviting. (I know that there are those that can't run in MP for performance reasons, or even time, but this is addressed to those who just haven't tried it at all yet.)

Thanks, but no thanks. Single Player is perfectly fine. (that said: I play MP a bit, but strictly PvE with people I know)

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H