Petrovic does not track helicopters when they fly

cha5er

Petrovic is able to see flying helicopters, but if you set them as target, he locks steady to the point as they were, at the lock moment, he does not track them.

clear, shturm`s are air2ground, but AI Helis like Mi28 shoot me down with shturms as well... so i thought this should possibly work as well

petrovic does not track moving helis.trk

Edited by cha5er
Added Trk. File
  • Like 1

I don't know about the Apache with her hellfires but the Mi-24V will actively attempt to fire its atgms at even fast movers that approach it.  I've seen it take atgm pot shots at Mirage 2000s that were trying to make gun runs on them in the past.  Alternatively, I think this is entirely possible to do with a human at the controls, especially against an unaware foe, it would likely be downright easy.  

As for 'wasting' a weapon, I'd hardly call it that by any means.  ATGMs are how many ground units attempt to engage helos, it's an entirely usable approach.  Alongside that though, I've read (admittedly anecdotal) evidence of observers using their sighting system to look for airspace intruders and if they could track them in that situation would it truly be a large stretch to do so while guiding a shturm?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NineLine said:

Well I mean if we want to go that route, I am ok with seeing any evidence that would suggest these weapons would be used in such a case, either by pilot notes, or official procedures. 

If I find anything solid I will certainly pass it along, as I said best I have is anecdotal. Though, I will be sure to practice it from the observer seat whether it was done or not. 😁

18 hours ago, NineLine said:

Well I mean if we want to go that route, I am ok with seeing any evidence that would suggest these weapons would be used in such a case, either by pilot notes, or official procedures. 

There is a video on YT where they use Vikhr missiles to shoot down slow moving air targets. I know the vikhr is an much more advanced missile, but if you are attacked by lets say an A10 or Su25 (or even a KA50) it would be nice to have a fighting chance against them. 

The YT vid:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 7/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, NineLine said:

I mean the 9M120 ataka has an air-air proximity fused variant. That would indicate to me a certain willingness to shoot down at least helicopters.

@NineLine

Also, I've joined a picture of the manual for the export version of the Mi-24P, the Mi-35P, which is virtually identical, and it explicitly states that killing air targets is one of it's missions, and later in Book 2 section 6 describes guiding a missile towards airborne targets. Find pages 6-5 and 6-6 attached.

Really hope this gets the "correct as-is" tag removed, and this implemented !

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Edited by Lascar12F
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rafale is the best fighter in the world fight me

There is an (MI-24) Ataka missile video on youtube where they explain the uses of the missile. Air to air use is also 1 of the aspects of the Ataka so i think Petrovic should be able to target helos

Screenshot_20210712-222009_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Nickkerkwijk
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 7/18/2021 at 12:20 AM, Lascar12F said:

@BIGNEWY @NineLine still no answer, when i've provided the documents you requested. Can we get an answer or what ??

It will probably take some time for  @BIGNEWY @NineLine to read thru that information and get it forwarded to the correct people

• Like 3

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• ED Team

reported for improvement, when I have some news I will pass it on.

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2