NDB Issues - Helos

Slazi

As I posted on Reddit, there seems to be issues with NDB tuning on some airbases. I haven't done a detailed examination of this, but there is an obvious test case - Kobuleti.

I have a few theories about what is causing this as I have managed to fix it on my install.

Basically, I couldn't get a signal from Kobuleti. I made a new mission, put an Mi-8 and Mi-24P into it, flew near the airport and couldn't get either of the two NDBs.

I would imagine most of my old missions I made had this problem (I'm not going to test 40).

I've now fixed my DCS and new missions work correctly when tuning to these frequencies. To fix my DCS, I deleted a bunch of DCS files and ran an integrity check via Steam.

I deleted and redownloaded all the following (from DCSWorld\Mods\terrains):

• AirfieldsCfgs\
  • AirfieldsTaxiways\
  • Kneeboard\
  • l10n\
  • misc\
  • MissionGenerator\
  • shadingOptions\
  • Theme\
  • Beacons.lua
  • Caucasus.MapCoords.lua
  • Radio.lua
  • terrain.cfg.lua

So it's fixed! - No. It's not. If I join multiplayer servers, many of them have the same issue. The old missions I made also have this problem and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it.

Recreation

I've attached two mission files that demonstrate a broken and a working version of this.

Test - NDB Helos and Helos 2. Helos has the broken NDB and Helos 2 has a fixed version. I hope this helps you recreate the problem. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help with this.

The cause?

I think it's an issue with old installs of the game. I installed my copy of DCS World February 2014. I think Steam failed to update some of the necessary files or I may have edited file and they weren't fixed with new updates to the game. It may be a Steam only issue.

I'm definitely not the only person this affects as I've had other players in multiplayer servers confirm this is an issue (having them fail to tune to Kobuleti but able to tune to other local stations).

Solution?

Is there any way to fix my old missions? I don't want to have to recreate them.

TEST - NDB Helos - v0point004.miz TEST - NDB Helos 2 - v0point001.miz

Edited by Slazi
removed 'ee'

Sorry, as well as the files I deleted above, I also deleted some from the Mi-8 folder. I didn't include that in the description above as the bug also affected the Mi-24P.

I believe it was all the files in this location - DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\Devices_specs\Radio

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Slazi. Kobuleti has DBs (Directional Beacons), not NDBs (Non-Directional Beacons).

Like ILS beacons, DBs are disabled by the game depending on the wind parameters (strength and direction). This was probably made this way to show ATCs are "smart" by taking wheather into account. But things are probably not as radical in real airports/airbases: even though a pilot may not be authorized to land on a specific runway because of the wind, the reception of a radio signal may help him/her find his/her way back to base, especially in a bad visibility setting.

This issue has been reported.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.