Mi-24P ASP17 sight reticle improvement

I'm attempting to make the ASP17 sight look a bit more realistic, it's not fully possible without writing specific shaders for it, but texture replacement seems to getting the job done at least part way there. This is a work in progress, as I'm not 100% satisfied by the current result, but feel free to share your opinion.

Download:
ASP17 - modified reticle

Gunsight.jpg

Hind_006.jpg

And the real one:

MI-24.jpg

Edited by Sundowner.pl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

So much better!

I was disappointed when I saw that the projector fading on edges is not modeled. So I was hoping it was just a Early Access thing, and I still do.

One reason for this is that DCS doesn't model properly the collimator effect ("design eye position") in the HUD's, that you can't see it if you don't have eyes inside the specific area ("eye box"). This makes all HUD's and gunsights look artificial. This makes such effects that you can see the projected information outside the projector and behind a obstacles etc. A thing that ED should try to get better as the SVG was not so good graphical decision to make the highly detailed projection. 

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thx! However this default isnt too bad:

wN7ZI9o.jpg

but of course it "covers" too much, I always try to screw it as much as possible so that it is only slightly visible.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

10 часов назад, Sundowner.pl сказал:

I'm attempting to make the ASP17 sight look a bit more realistic, it's not fully possible without writing specific shaders for it, but texture replacement seems to getting the job done at least part way there. This is a work in progress, as I'm not 100% satisfied by the current result, but feel free to share your opinion.

Download:
ASP17 - modified reticle

Gunsight.jpg

Hind_006.jpg

And the real one:

MI-24.jpg

Very Nice!
Thanxs!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a must have, something that become very noticeable in VR is how poorly collimated sights look. Everything else jumps with a realistic feel except how poorly ED have modelled the glow and loss of fidelity a HUD has when nearing the edge of it's focal point.  

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

54 minutes ago, Eldur said:

The original one is already almost invisible in VR, I guess this mod will remove it completely then...

Invisible in VR you say? I have a G2 and on the default brightness, it is the same luminosity as the sun. Seriously bewildered as to how you think it's almost invisible. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I'm still on the CV1 and there isn't even remotely any possibility to tune the display settings there. I'm having that issue with all the collimated sights and HUDs though. But at least they are visible. In that other sim they're completely gone unless I sit directly at the sweet spot with µm precision which is why I hardly ever fly that one since I moved to VR. Could be related to the res as I think it's a tad better with the Quest. Can't speak for any LCD or generally more recent high res HMD.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

On 6/29/2021 at 6:07 AM, YoYo said:

Thx! However this default isnt too bad:

wN7ZI9o.jpg

but of course it "covers" too much, I always try to screw it as much as possible so that it is only slightly visible.

I think that's because it's not properly focused, look at this photo for example, it's much more sharp

018.jpg.cae91c8dd336e026310729f9c14f0f95

Edited by SuperEtendard

16 hours ago, Eldur said:

The original one is already almost invisible in VR, I guess this mod will remove it completely then...

No any issue in VR for me with default one (but HP Reverb) but Sundowner mod looks better for sure!

1 hour ago, SuperEtendard said:

I think that's because it's not properly focused, look at this photo for example, it's much more sharp

It depends how close the picture was taken.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

The way those sights work is unchanged since the World War 2 - there is a lamp (with filament bulb), that shines on mechanized obscuring screens producing an image of symbology, which then is projected through mirrors and lenses into the combiner glass. In the absolute right circumstances, the image will be crisp. But the inherent flaws in the design will produce image that will not be uniformly lit, the screens get scratched and faded, the combiner glass have some basic coatings reducing ghosting - but not entirely...

What I want to do is to represent as many of these natural flaws as possible, while the only tool for that available to us, is the bitmap with its transparency channel. What I will be focusing on now is the brightness of the image, because it is ok for most use cases, but way to dark, to represent the ASP-17 at full brightness setting.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great mod - thanks! 

It is a shame all HUD projected imagery in DCS looks like it is on a perfect LCD screen, not a projected image.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

What I'm doing is only some texture fakery. ED can add shaders that would make their original texture look realistic without messing with it - like gradient masking the visible range, gradient brightness amplification when in eye is aligned with  projected light source, etc. They could also make the K-14 sight more realistic in VR, note that those sights were projecting two images, that were visible by both eyes, without much overlap - the static sight was visible by one, the  gyro sight by the other. This aspect of gunsights is not yet implemented in any sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...