Unreliable track files, please make them use able again.

Maverick_NL

24 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Track replays, replay inputs only.

Many things can affect track replays, AI can make different choices, wake turbulence can have an effect, rudder / take off assist can also create problems. 

I work with track replays all day everyday, short tracks for bug reporting work well usually, longer tracks and multiplayer tracks, especially heavily scripted ones are less reliable.

If you want us to look at a specific replay problem we will need to see a track replay showing a problem, and as mentioned it may reproduce or it may not. 

We want to update the track replay system, but it will be a huge task and we are very busy currently with other projects, its something for the future for now. 

thanks

I understand your busy with other projects, but the replay function is bugged for years now.

I understand its a low priority, but it will be appreciated when people look into it.

The problem is the replay function is not working correctly, not issues with any flight model, its pure the replay system., so it would be nice to see a new replay system / reworked replay system.

But when is the future? i mean this problem exist for multiple years now, this function is really important for Video makers / Debrief during displays / Bug reporting / Problem reporting.

i don't even report bugs as the track file is most of the time damaged.

Edited by Maverick_NL

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

• ED Team

As mentioned I work with track replays all day everyday they do work for bug reporting if kept short. 

There are to many factors that can affect a track replay, but if you want us to look at specific issues we will need to see the track replay, without it we will just be here going back and forth. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don’t pretend to speak for everybody but I think what myself and others is saying is that we don’t just use these tracks for reporting bugs, we want to be able to be able to watch the mission afterwards as entertainment, maybe to upload as a movie or even just to show a friend. I don’t have any broken track files because the moment the replay breaks I delete it because it isn’t worth keeping. Why have I not uploaded any as bug requests? Because it’s been happening on and off since the early days of DCS World. It’s especially disappointing now with the Supercarrier DLC you can’t go back and watch your landing because you land where the carrier was at the beginning of the mission and not where it is when you land.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 5:34 AM, BIGNEWY said:

As mentioned I work with track replays all day everyday they do work for bug reporting if kept short. 

There are to many factors that can affect a track replay, but if you want us to look at specific issues we will need to see the track replay, without it we will just be here going back and forth. 

thanks

I am not sure what "short" means for you but if I start a mission parked on the ramp, my track files fail before I can pull forward and turn onto a taxiway.  My aircraft invariably fails to turn correctly and gets stuck in the grass somewhere.  Typically the aircraft undershoots the turn.  We are talking five seconds tops before the track ends in a failure.  

I don't doubt the track files work for you which is why I suspect it is hardware dependent.  Assuming the software is the same the hardware is the variable.

I understand that you need track files but I can't provide a clean one so no bug reports from me.

DCS tracks have never been reliable if they are long, complex, and/or multiplayer, and you are recording your own flight.

If you wish to watch a long/complex/multiplayer track play back correctly, host your mission to a server and have another user join. As long a user other than you is the one recording the track that you end up replaying, that track will show (usually) properly, but again, not for the user producing the track.

Meaning:

Player A hosts server. Player B joins server and enters an acft. Player B sits on the tarmac or flies, whatever.

Player A flies flight plan ABC to completion.

Player B either does the track replay for purposes of video production/screenshots/review etc OR sends Player A his track. Player A runs Player B's track locally on his own machine and will be able to properly see everything that Player A did during the course of the track.

The point: The events of the user who is recording the track will always be the events which become corrupt first in a track playback. If you want to see YOUR track playback properly, have someone else send you THEIR track of YOUR flight from the server you were BOTH in.

• 2 weeks later...

@BIGNEWY  - After purchasing the HIND and being hugely disappointed that the track files are totally useless for making videos, will the MOSQUITO module likewise also be unsuitable with similar track file issues?

I would like to purchase the MOSQUITO on pre-launch special but not will not buy this module if it has the same issue.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:44 PM, Breakshot said:

Tracks are the most unreliable thing in DCS.

Yet when someone needs to report a bug, the first question ED asks is to present "tracks".

Go figure! 🙂

They go out of sync after a couple of minutes, such lols watching them

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Just one thought, the TACVIEW Files are always completly reliable for all units for the complete mission over hours.... why is it so complicated to take these informations to replay the mission in DCS?

I dont need the information when what button was pressed or how was the joystick input.... just the position-, speed-, attitude-..... data for the units to replay the mission

• Like 1

A superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill

Frank Bormann, Apollo 8

trackfiles work exactly like that if theyre recorded server side.

so just run your mission through a dedicated server running on the same PC. that track will be 100% reliable but you wont be able to enter cockpit (and you wont see wing vapors).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

17 minutes ago, panic1310 said:

I dont need the information when what button was pressed or how was the joystick input....

That's what people don't seem to get: this IS the information that ED needs/wants for debugging, which is what the track system is designed for.  It's not meant to replay your flight so you can make a video.  You can argue whether DCS needs a system to do that or not, but don't hold your breath on the current track system going there, because as Bignewy often replies to these threads "it works the way ED needs/wants it to".  I personally don't care if they have a system to allow recording videos from replays and would rather they not spend developer time on it, but I realize there are some people who want it.  I have no idea what the numbers that want it are, but obviously ED don't feel it's a high enough number to do something about it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

image.png

On 8/29/2021 at 6:20 PM, rob10 said:

That's what people don't seem to get: this IS the information that ED needs/wants for debugging, which is what the track system is designed for.  It's not meant to replay your flight so you can make a video. 

What ED representatives here do not get is that when debugging tool (as it is being called here)  is listed as REPLAY on MAIN screen all but insider people expect it too replay action.
Might be better if "replay" was under some option menu tab described as debugging tool.

• Like 1

How can it be a debugging tool when they’re so unreliable across modules, often doing things not experienced by the user? User experiences X, saves replay. First playback shows Y happening instead. Second playback shows Z happening instead. Further replays do not reproduce X. Unless they have some other software that is able to flawlessly play back track files in such a way as to be reliable then how are they valid diagnostic tools?

• Like 1

We're using the exact same "Replay" feature to reproduce bugs, and it works (otherwise there would be no fixes). It's just that we need short tracks to replay things as they happen. Not to forget old tracks will always be less reliable than new tracks because DCS evolves constantly.

If you can show us things going wrong in a short track (let's say 5 minutes max), we can report it and ask for a fix. Then, bit by bit, we might succeed in making the replay a little more reliable.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

30 minutes ago, Flappie said:

We're using the exact same "Replay" feature to reproduce bugs, and it works (otherwise there would be no fixes). It's just that we need short tracks to replay things as they happen. Not to forget old tracks will always be less reliable than new tracks because DCS evolves constantly.

If you can show us things going wrong in a short track (let's say 5 minutes max), we can report it and ask for a fix. Then, bit by bit, we might succeed in making the replay a little more reliable.

As I showed on AI Bug thread with video, there are inaccuracies even in 2.5 minute track.

Just now, Flappie said:

Can you please share the link? I'll report it.

Well, can't really prove it unless I am streaming all the time.  Believe or not, in this second video, the AI wingman did ran into me during gameplay.  But shows going under in the track playback.

1 minute ago, Flappie said:

Thanks. Is the version you recorded the track with is identicial to the the version you replayed the track with?

Yes, the latest version from today.  I forgot to attach track for the second video with crash.  I'll attach it here.

Ka-50_AI2_Crash.trk

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i wanted to record something today as well. and the track was looking good in the beginning, till i came in land over syria, it decided to crash into the ground.

See attachment. 

Hope this will be fixed someday, we are waiting for this already so long. 

Gr, Maverick

Client.trk

Edited by Maverick_NL
  • Like 1

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2021 at 11:02 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Track replays, replay inputs only.

Many things can affect track replays, AI can make different choices, wake turbulence can have an effect, rudder / take off assist can also create problems. 

I work with track replays all day everyday, short tracks for bug reporting work well usually, longer tracks and multiplayer tracks, especially heavily scripted ones are less reliable.

If you want us to look at a specific replay problem we will need to see a track replay showing a problem, and as mentioned it may reproduce or it may not. 

We want to update the track replay system, but it will be a huge task and we are very busy currently with other projects, its something for the future for now. 

thanks

Two years later, what happened? 

• Like 2

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Erazor said:

Two years later, what happened? 

As mentioned in other threads (but will repeat it here). 

The track replay system is very old and we know it needs redoing, it was initially a debug tool and DCS has out grown it. While it is something we want to improve it is not possible at this time as teams are already busy on other major tasks. It will have to wait for the future when time allows. 

For now if you want to use track replays with a higher success rate, make them short and use only the units you need for the scenario you are trying to capture, scripted missions or MP tracks with lots of scripts will create problems so where possible avoid for the purpose of replays. 

thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, GunslingerII said:

WELL THIS THREAD IS FROM 2021 , AND GUESS WHAT , WE'RE BEING TOTALLY IGNORED.

STILL BROKEN.....

Seriously, did you bother to read Bignewy's post 2 up?  You are NOT being totally ignored, it's just not at the top of the priority list.  You may not like that fact, but it has been ACKNOWLEDGED IN MULTIPLE THREADS that a new replay system is needed, but ED needs to find dev time to do it.  What development would you like to stop so ED can put dev's on this tomorrow?  I can almost guarantee there will be a bunch of people who will howl equally as loud when their priority gets dropped down the list.

• Like 3