Pseudo home cockpit

peirof

Hi,

I have a question, if an idea that I have in mind can be done, well I suppose it can be done, the question would rather be:

- How can it be done?
- What do I need (hardware / software)?

The problem

When you are flying in one of the DCS planes, you have to do a lot of pressing of the cockpit keys, to configure the plane, weapons, navigation ... and that with the keyboard is complicated there are dozens, if not hundreds of key combinations , and with the mouse it is very slow, especially in combat situations.

Ideas

I had been thinking about virtual reality glasses, but the problem of pressing the cockpit buttons makes me quite backward, it is still necessary to do it with keyboard and mouse. So right now, if it doesn't change, I seem to be opting for:

- A TRACK IR device (or similar)
- One or two small (touch) screens, I have seen them on Amazon 7 "/ 10", showing cockpit instruments.

and I have several questions:

1st - Is this possible? A touch screen, connected to the graphics card, can display an aircraft instrument
2nd - Would that secondary screen be better to connect through the video output of the graphics card or through USB?
3rd - If that instrument has changes, for example a moving map, it would be rendered on the secondary screen. Not?
4th - What is shown on that screen. Does it always have to be the same? Or can I change it? (so you can display multiple instruments on one screen)
5th - Where can I see a guide / tutorial to do this?

As I said, I DO NOT want to make a booth, the only thing I want is to be able to see part of the booth on that or those secondary screens.
Does anyone use a similar combination that can advise me?

5 hours ago, peirof said:

1st - Is this possible? A touch screen, connected to the graphics card, can display an aircraft instrument
2nd - Would that secondary screen be better to connect through the video output of the graphics card or through USB?
3rd - If that instrument has changes, for example a moving map, it would be rendered on the secondary screen. Not?
4th - What is shown on that screen. Does it always have to be the same? Or can I change it? (so you can display multiple instruments on one screen)
5th - Where can I see a guide / tutorial to do this?

As I said, I DO NOT want to make a booth, the only thing I want is to be able to see part of the booth on that or those secondary screens.
Does anyone use a similar combination that can advise me?

1st - Yes, but an 8" (Lilliput for example) does not connect to your graphics card, it connects via USB.

2nd - USB for small touchscreens, graphics card for monitors

3rd - You can place whatever you want to be rendered wherever you want (I use Helios), 

4th - With Helios you can do multiple "layers" of screens and switch them at will

5th - I would start here..

I found the "touch" part of the Lilliput touchscreens unreliable so I went with Thrustmaster MFD bezels, MUCH better. You should also look into VoiceAttack to use voice commands while flying, perfect for radio comms but you can do anything with them.. 

MY current setup (that isn't DCS on screen, sorry for the mess.. 😉.. 

Sim setup 6-30-21.jpg

Edited by GaryR
  • Like 3

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

On 6/30/2021 at 5:56 PM, peirof said:

Something like this can be used? Suposse...

SMALL TACTIL SCREEN

Considering how small that screen is, the person in the photos must have very small hands! 🤣

The android tablet idea would be OK if there was an android app available, or you could write one.
The small screen idea is far easier to use, as the software already exists (Helios, etc.).

7 hours ago, peirof said:

What screen size its recommened for mfd's and Icp? 

I think that 7" was enough 

IMO 8" works better as it can hold the MFD bezels and leaves room for gauges, but depends on how you will use it..

Edited by GaryR
  • Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Lilliput 869GL-80NP/C/T - 8" HDMI touchscreen monitor  is what I have, but if using the TM MFDs I would not use touchscreen...

Edited by GaryR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peirof said:

Thx,

at the end, i have ordered these....

8" Touch Screen

let's hope it helps me

Well, as they seem to be HDMI I have no idea, you have two open HDMI ports? 

• Like 1

Gary,

do you use a TripleHead2go for the monitor setup? What's your frame rate for the sim?

Regards, Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

14 hours ago, Vinc_Vega said:

Gary,

do you use a TripleHead2go for the monitor setup? What's your frame rate for the sim?

Regards, Vinc

No, for the 3 main monitors all are plugged into the 3090 via DisplayPort cables and combined with Nvidia Surround. The two 8" Liliputs are USB. I actually haven't looked a FR in DCS since installing the 3090, but I know in IL2 they range from 70 (HEAVY action) -140 with every graphics option on Ultra or Max.. 

• Thanks 1

hace 5 horas, GaryR dijo:

No, for the 3 main monitors all are plugged into the 3090 via DisplayPort cables and combined with Nvidia Surround. The two 8" Liliputs are USB. I actually haven't looked a FR in DCS since installing the 3090, but I know in IL2 they range from 70 (HEAVY action) -140 with every graphics option on Ultra or Max.. 

Hi,

can you point me where this is explained... think this can help me.

The secon monitor arrives me, and i have conected to PC, they have 3 connectors, that think it must be plugged (1 hdmi (For video signal), 1 Usb (For tactile and power) and 1 Usb (For power)) i think how its a little big, the needs more power (2xusb).

I have managed to connect, and with mosaic put 2 test dials in this screen.

But....i no have clear what i have to do...

17 hours ago, peirof said:

Hi,

can you point me where this is explained... think this can help me.

The secon monitor arrives me, and i have conected to PC, they have 3 connectors, that think it must be plugged (1 hdmi (For video signal), 1 Usb (For tactile and power) and 1 Usb (For power)) i think how its a little big, the needs more power (2xusb).

I have managed to connect, and with mosaic put 2 test dials in this screen.

But....i no have clear what i have to do...

Peirof - where what is explained? Our setups are quite different.. Your monitor has 1 HDMI and 2 USB plugs and all three are required? Since Windows sees your monitor (you should be able to place\drag it's location in relation to your main monitor in "Display Settings") then Helios will see it also. There is no good Helios manual, I suggest you go here to download it and learn what you can. 

I use combination of 2 apps:

MATRIC running on Android tablet as button box (https://matricapp.com)

DCS OSB running as overlay on windows over exported MFDs on a 14'' touch screen (https://github.com/tgudelj/osb-overlay)

P.S. I'm the author of both apps so I guess I roll my own 😄

MATRIC_OSB.jpg

20200130_231606.jpg

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MATRIC developer

Check out MATRIC and forget about keyboard shortcuts