FPS Tanked while in terrain mode.

defeatist99

The issue doesn't appear to present itself while on the ground so it may be related to how terrain is changing in the display. Unfortunately the trackfile is too large to upload but I do have video of the issue being reproduced. While on the ground FPS was normal and terrain mode was operating. As soon as I become airborne my frames start dropping to single digits. Turning off the terrain display immediately restores performance. Putting it back to terrain mode immediately tanked performance again. 

Same mission over the Persian Gulf, same lag aboard an F-5E, and a MiG-19P.

A simple F-15C mission in Caucasus gives the same result: a lot of lag as soon as the NS430 "Terrain" mode is ON.

@[ED]ObiThis looks like a global issue

F-5E NS430 huge lag.trk MiG-19P NS430 huge lag.trk Caucasus F-15C NS430 huge lag.trk

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the bump. I just ran into this myself.

I was having all kinds of performance issues and I could not figure out what was wrong. Then I noticed it was only with certain aircraft which was really confusing. Then I saw this thread. Turned off the NS430 and all was right as rain.

I don't know what it's doin', but it's doin' somethin' it don't like.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

I am sure that is the case. I did not do much testing.

I have a mission with multiple aircraft missions/options and it was having weird performance issues depending on which aircraft I selected. It made no sense to me. Until I saw this thread and realized aircraft with the performance issues were the ones using the NS430. I just turned off the NS in the options menu and everything worked as normal.

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go. https://youtu.be/lbkCCXFW7Qo

I am also uploading a quick youtube video of the issue so you can see it happen on my end. I will edit this post and add the link when it is done.

The frame time goes haywire when I have the NS430 on terrain mode. I also have had crashes when using the NS430. It seems that manipulating the range of the terrain view is the most common cause, but it will eventually crash even without touching it.

Sadly I do not have any current logs because I have since turned it off on all modules, but if I have some free time I will try to reproduce it. It is real hit or miss. Sometimes it crashes 5 minutes in, other times it takes 30+.

I can fly the entire sortie without the NS430 which takes about 2 hours.

NSTest.miz

Edited by Daemoc
Added Video Link
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I had some free time today and used the NS 430 on a new mission, no mods and only a simple flight plan with a few waypoints from one airport to another. I think I made it to about half way though the flight plan and it crashed.

I also noticed another thread about a memory leak and crash. Could this be related to that? I was not monitoring my memory usage unfortunately.

I have a log file here from the crash. Should I post it here, post it in the memory leak thread or make a new thread?

Hi @Daemoc. The FPS drop caused by the Terrain mode is way older than the memory leak it causes.

Both issues are already reported with proper tracks, logs... I'm waiting for something to happen. I'll talk with devs about the poor state of NS430.

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.