Problems with FPS New.

Ok, I will begin this post with my system specs because there are definitely oddities in my FPS as will be shown latter. 

Cpu: Ryzen 3600 w/ stock cooler oc at 4.2

Mobo: Msi X570 Tomahawk

GPU: Power Color rx 6800

Psu: 650 watt gold cert 

32gb CL 16 3600 ram

all in a airflow friendly case

Game settings are Point Blank’s rx 5700xt settings. I play on a 1080p monitor. 

With these components I used to (On the f/a 18 free flight) get about 180 FPS in Caucuses. This performance stopped pre 2.7 in 2.5.6. Now at dialed back settings from before I am seeing 70-75 FPS. I have tried every fix me or the group I play with has thought of and haven’t found a fix. I have even gone so far as to completely reinstall my computer’s operating system. I am looking for any help I can get. I have updated, repaired, and cleaned dcs, but nothing seems to work. Please leave any suggestions.

4 hours ago, draconus said:

Please provide you current DCS settings... and AMD, if changed any from default.

Here you go, sorry it took so long to respond to your request. The cpu is only clocked at 4.2 which is it's highest rate I can do with the stock cooler safely.

DCS_OC.PNG

DCS_SETTINGS.PNG

Your AMD screenshot is not very useful as it shows idle desktop performance - I meant the graphics settings if you made any changes there.

Your DCS settings are indeed pretty low, no SSAA, no MSAA - your card should spit out hundreds of fps in 1080p all while getting bored most of the time waiting for the cpu that works hard. Anything demanding here would be SSLR, but I guess it's not a new setting for you. Only suggestion is to try and go full screen (RAlt+Enter) if you happen to run DCS in borderless windowed mode (despite the setting).

Do you use any unofficial mods? Have you tried using clean DCS profile after reinstalling DCS or have you used the copy of the old one?

Check also 3dMark Firestrike (or any other) benchmark to test your system against similar configurations worldwide - does it also show lower performance?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

When I get a chance later today (probably tonight some time) I will do screenshots with msi running pulling my FPS numbers. I have both cleaned and repaired my dcs, I have even gone so far as to uninstall my entire operating system and then reinstall everything to see if that works. As per other games and test benches I on average in heaven get 195-205 FPS average with it occasionally reaching up near 400 FPS. Also worth noting I can crank my settings up and performance stays the same. Going to ultra clouds and high water doesn’t effect my FPS more than 1-5. Msaa also doesn’t hurt it and neither does the view range. 

Edit: Tell me what data you need to see in the msi overlay and I’ll put it in if it’s possible. Also of note my gpu hardly ever goes up above 40% utilization and most normally is at 20-30%. Marianas islands has my gpu up at near 70-80% and at about 64 FPS (average for me) in the tomcat.

Edited by Zpigman

I don't need any msi overlay screenshots. I wanted to see AMD driver settings - if you changed anything there. Pure Heaven result does not tell me anything either. You need to take on some benchmark with exact settings (resolution, quality... default are best) and compare to other similar systems' results. I suggested 3dmark database because it is great for that.

I already explained why your GPU utilisation is low - your CPU is the bottleneck with your current settings. That's why you can crank the settings. Marianas, being harder on graphics, shows higher GPU usage.

Let me make a list of I would like to know to further pinpoint the cause:

1. Did you make any changes in the graphic driver settings?

2. Do you use any unofficial mods?

3. Do you run any background applications beside normal bare system?

4. Have you tried using clean DCS profile after reinstalling DCS or have you used the copy of the old one?

5. Make a proper benchmark and compare to results of similar systems. 200fps is good, unless someone else is doing 400fps with same system on this bench and that would indicate a system/hw problem.

6. Have to tried and go full screen (RAlt+Enter)?

If I understood correctly you once had a great performance of 180fps in some version of 2.5.6xxx. Then, after some update of 2.5.6.yyy you went down to 70-80fps and it stayed the same in the 2.7. It will be hard to investigate what happened or changed. A lot easier is to check if your current performance is similar to what people get with similar systems. Is it a problem at all? Many players consider over 60fps as the holy grail of gaming performance. Do you have some stutters or just want to specifically go for some fps values to properly work with high refresh rate of your monitor?

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I’ll answer your return question in order as accurately as possible.

1) Just using gaming preset 

2) No, I don’t use unofficial mods

3) I occasionally have google chrome open for music or answering email, but otherwise it is just DCS, Discord, and SRS where applicable.

4) I completely purged DCS multiple times and started over from scratch. I don’t use the fancy launcher (like an idiot), so the best I can do is the manual clean and repair tools without completely purging all DCS from everything and doing a clean install (done a total of 3 times).

5) I will get those requested benchmarks done today if I am able.

6) Yes I used rAlt+enter and didn’t see any changes in performance whatsoever. 

Thank you for responding and taking time with my ineptitude. I hopefully won’t have field work today for my job so that I can get those benchmarks done. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 2:10 AM, draconus said:

I don't need any msi overlay screenshots. I wanted to see AMD driver settings - if you changed anything there. Pure Heaven result does not tell me anything either. You need to take on some benchmark with exact settings (resolution, quality... default are best) and compare to other similar systems' results. I suggested 3dmark database because it is great for that.

I already explained why your GPU utilisation is low - your CPU is the bottleneck with your current settings. That's why you can crank the settings. Marianas, being harder on graphics, shows higher GPU usage.

Let me make a list of I would like to know to further pinpoint the cause:

1. Did you make any changes in the graphic driver settings?

2. Do you use any unofficial mods?

3. Do you run any background applications beside normal bare system?

4. Have you tried using clean DCS profile after reinstalling DCS or have you used the copy of the old one?

5. Make a proper benchmark and compare to results of similar systems. 200fps is good, unless someone else is doing 400fps with same system on this bench and that would indicate a system/hw problem.

6. Have to tried and go full screen (RAlt+Enter)?

If I understood correctly you once had a great performance of 180fps in some version of 2.5.6xxx. Then, after some update of 2.5.6.yyy you went down to 70-80fps and it stayed the same in the 2.7. It will be hard to investigate what happened or changed. A lot easier is to check if your current performance is similar to what people get with similar systems. Is it a problem at all? Many players consider over 60fps as the holy grail of gaming performance. Do you have some stutters or just want to specifically go for some fps values to properly work with high refresh rate of your monitor?

Does above information provided work?

On 7/25/2021 at 2:41 AM, draconus said:

I don't have any more ideas for you, sorry. Your system appears to be working correctly.

Thank you for at least trying, don't know why either. Only thing I can think of is poor little 3600 can't keep up with the single core performance that dcs requires. Thanks for your help.

No problem. Since you have some performance buffer left on the GPU side adjust your settings to saturate it more just before the point you're loosing fps and you'll have your balance between quality and performance.

42 minutes ago, twistking said:

try to disable SSLR. it's rescource intensive and was added with 2.7 if i'm not mistaken.

It was added over a year ago in 2.5.6.

1 hour ago, twistking said:

you are correct. 2.5.6. was what i had in mind. if i understand the OP correctly, his problems started back in 2.5.6...

When I get a chance I will disable it, but I haven't seen any changes so far and have tried doing multiple changes. I'll keep you posted.

18 minutes ago, Zpigman said:

When I get a chance I will disable it, but I haven't seen any changes so far and have tried doing multiple changes. I'll keep you posted.

btw, I already mentioned it in July 1 post:

Anything demanding here would be SSLR, but I guess it's not a new setting for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I would verify and then double-check and verify again that freesync is not on.

Also worth noting I can crank my settings up and performance stays the same. Going to ultra clouds and high water doesn’t effect my FPS more than 1-5. Msaa also doesn’t hurt it and neither does the view range. 

I say that because this statement makes me think it might be.  I've got a 3080 and with GSYNC enabled my FPS basically stays the same but with it disabled my FPS dips more than 5 when Clouds are set to Ultra. 

Also, are you using the exact same monitor cable?

Are you using an HDMI or DPI cable?

Also of note my gpu hardly ever goes up above 40% utilization and most normally is at 20-30%. Marianas islands has my gpu up at near 70-80% and at about 64 FPS (average for me) in the tomcat.

What is your CPU utilization during these?

Edited by Ozmandi
stuff

On 8/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, Ozmandi said:

I would verify and then double-check and verify again that freesync is not on.

I say that because this statement makes me think it might be.  I've got a 3080 and with GSYNC enabled my FPS basically stays the same but with it disabled my FPS dips more than 5 when Clouds are set to Ultra. 

Also, are you using the exact same monitor cable?

Are you using an HDMI or DPI cable?

What is your CPU utilization during these?

My cpu utilization is almost always up at 90-100 of a single core and is over clocked. I am going to run a test here soon where I am going to mess with some other settings.

Edited by Zpigman
Corrected odd wording

Yeah, I think it is just my cpu as for why the sudden change in fps, I think the updates hit the way things are rendered using hardware. I am not using a very powerful cpu either so my bet is on that. GPU is sitting 24-45 percent utilization at about 70 fps still. I think I just suffer it a little bit until zen 4 announces and gets put into production, or I jump over to intel.