I exceed recommended hardware posted in FAQ - is it my fault that I get low FPS then?

Gierasimov

OK, looks stunningly beautiful but...

From the FAQ:

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (HIGH graphics preset settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 4+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

I am on a Windows 10, I7-10700K (5.1 GHz), 64 GB RAM (3000 MHz), RTX 3080.

Also from the FAQ:

Despite being an island map, you can expect similar performance to the Syria map

So, Syria map gives me constant 60 FPS (consistent with my screen capability) and empty Andersen AB I get 40, Guam @ 3000 feet MSL I get 30-40, at 700 feet I get 30-40.

Ocean alone at 1000 feet MSL shows as 80 fps, whereas Mediterranean sea on Syria map gives 120 fps at the same alt. 

I guess I need to wait for optimizations?

• Like 3

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I'm towards the bottom end of any specs, especially for VR, but can get a solid 35-45 fps in VR depending on what I'm flying over for Syria, solid 60 (vsynced) in flatscreen mode.

Same settings for Marianas... 16-18fps. Flatscreen mode, also 18fps.  That doesn't make much sense to me!

More specifically, if it helps anyone:

Marianas at 2000ft:  flying over open sea at in the FA/18, I get 24fps, solidly, until I pull a high-g turn, at which point it drops to 9. Flying over one of the small towns beginning with A, 14-18fps.

Syria map at 2000ft - flying over open sea inbound to Akrotiri, 42fps, pretty solidly, slight dip below 40 for high g turn, then 36 when flying over Akrotiri.

Edited by rubbra
  • Like 2

It's not you: performance is horrible there for me as well. Especially at low level, it's such a slide show I can't even identify parked aircraft when I fly directly over airbases...

(specs in my signature)

• Like 6
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

My specs are the same and I get in marianas flying close to the ground around 30-40fps.

I find it funny that when people complain about low fps, the answer is that they get better hardware. I think my hardware is more than enough, and the problem is the poor graphical optimization of the simulator

• Like 10

Been trying to figure out why my FPS tanked so hard in the new Map.   I usually range between 45-60 FPS in Caucasus, NV, or PG multiplayer servers.   I played Marianas in MP AO Aerobatics Server ,with a ping of 54, maybe 40 players, and I was constantly at 14-18 FPS, with occasional dips down to 9.    Put my graphics setting at Low, and it was then only as bad as 11 FPS.    FSP was 14-25 in single player Marianas Map too.    

Intel I9 8th Gen, 3.6GHz, 32GB, dedicated 500GB Samsung SSD for DCS only, Nvidia 8GB Quaddro GPU

Same here

All maps are doing just fine (Syria a little more strain than the rest but still very acceptable), but with Marianas when flying over Islands and looking at the ground I get extreme ghosting 😞 

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

There's definitely some problem with the islands and their optimization. I think it's a known issue, it's fine over the water. Also, the specs are copypasted from Syria, from the looks of it. The map is actually extremely lightweight, you really don't need 120GB free space, more like 8-10. 

Here is my benchmark as an additional data point 

instant action - F16 - Hotstart
flying around anderson AFB
42-75 FPS  mostly around 42-55 though

I9 9900KS stock settings
32GB @4300MHz  CAS latency 15
GTX 1080Ti stock settings - driver 461.72
dcs running on a Samsung 860 ssd

*edit, did some additional flying around in this instant action mission and fps dropped to 35 occasionally, I imagine having any kind of mission on this map would drop frames to an unplayable level easily.

DCS graphics settings attached 

island.png

Edited by Aurora juutilainen
  • Like 1

There's a vid from the Grim reapers which demonstrates this being a problem with the shadows. (I think the new trees and their shadow maps.)

The solution is to use Flat Shadows. There's 2 spots in configuration where this is set.

If this has already been posted elsewhere, sorry.

I found that my FPS is halved flying low, until I changed to Flat Shadows.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Try flying this map with AI units on it for a mission, its becomes really unplayable, my VR 45fps (reprojection on) went down to 20fps, even after following the GR video and turning shadows off, I run quite high settings as I have top of the line gear 10850K 3090, I know I can drop settings but then it just looks like a map from a game back in 2010 and I don't believe we should be having to do this. up to this point I have had 2.7 running OK Syria was fine, this nap to me is a map that wont get used by a lot of players because of its issues and that in it self is a shame.

I cant see any point in building new stuff for DCS if its not going to come out as playable on the middle of the road gear (which most people have) even in open beta, all you doing is annoying the player base who support you.

Still glad it was free and we didn't have to pay for it, i have now made a note to myself that I will only try any maps that come out from this point on in a free trail so I can see if they are playable or not first before purchase.

• Like 1

Like for everyone else: Syria heavy loaded with mission stuff -  50 to 60 (locked by riva at 60). Empty, tiny Marianas - 30-33 low and mid altitude.  

Ryzen 2700x

RTX 2070

32 GB 

SSD and so on.

From the posted stuff i think we're just at "user's computer's fault. It's all perfect" stage. I give it like, let's be generous, two weeks, before ED admit there's a problem.

Same has been done before the with Aerosoft. For 1 month they tried to convince users that serious bug with throttles end engines' N1 on CJR 700 is user's hardware and calibration problem. Which obviously wasn't. Give it a time.

Edited by q800
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scratchy said:

There's a vid from the Grim reapers which demonstrates this being a problem with the shadows. (I think the new trees and their shadow maps.)

The solution is to use Flat Shadows. There's 2 spots in configuration where this is set.

If this has already been posted elsewhere, sorry.

I found that my FPS is halved flying low, until I changed to Flat Shadows.

Flat shadows are known to cause graphical artefacts and glitches. So not a valid option for solution, but maybe worth trying for a temporary workaround. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On 7/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, Gierasimov said:

OK, looks stunningly beautiful but...

From the FAQ:

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS (HIGH graphics preset settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 4+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

I am on a Windows 10, I7-10700K (5.1 GHz), 64 GB RAM (3000 MHz), RTX 3080.

Also from the FAQ:

Despite being an island map, you can expect similar performance to the Syria map

So, Syria map gives me constant 60 FPS (consistent with my screen capability) and empty Andersen AB I get 40, Guam @ 3000 feet MSL I get 30-40, at 700 feet I get 30-40.

Ocean alone at 1000 feet MSL shows as 80 fps, whereas Mediterranean sea on Syria map gives 120 fps at the same alt. 

I guess I need to wait for optimizations?

I have similar specs (apart from the 5900x) and get around 60 FPS when flying around in the hind low level.

One thing, I always have though, is ground shadows to flat (can't stand the flickering of default). And I turn off the mirrors because they are useless anyway.

All other settings are fairly high, only thing I did compared to syria is setting viewing distance from ultra to high.

(MSAA 2x, SSAA off, SSLR off, clouds ultra)

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

21 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I have similar specs (apart from the 5900x) and get around 60 FPS when flying around in the hind low level.

One thing, I always have though, is ground shadows to flat (can't stand the flickering of default). And I turn off the mirrors because they are useless anyway.

All other settings are fairly high, only thing I did compared to syria is setting viewing distance from ultra to high.

(MSAA 2x, SSAA off, SSLR off, clouds ultra)

Ok, so another one in favor of flat shadows. BTW its flat shadows that were glitching for me, I will try though. 

Thanks. 

The only "glitch" I get with ground shadow is that the shadow of my aircraft sometimes is incomplete (mostly on angled surfaces)

other than that I find the "sharp" edges of ground shadows and the absence of a visible "LoD-Change"-Line more "real" than default.

I'd wish they'd improve that, but it's still better than the flickering with default shadows for me...

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

The only "glitch" I get with ground shadow is that the shadow of my aircraft sometimes is incomplete (mostly on angled surfaces)

other than that I find the "sharp" edges of ground shadows and the absence of a visible "LoD-Change"-Line more "real" than default.

I'd wish they'd improve that, but it's still better than the flickering with default shadows for me...

OK for me here are the results (same track reply):

Track takes 6 minutes to play: 

Default shadows:  Average 38 FPS with 3.8% of time below 30 FPS

Flat shadows:        Average 40 FPS with 3.8% of time below 30 FPS

Have you done the usual trouble shooting. Deleting the Shader-Folders etc?.

Can you make a screenshot of your graphic settings?

Have you made sure, you're running in fullscreen (alt+enter)?

Edited by Hiob

I read an article about updated graphics for another commercial simulator. There they said that the graphics would give great visual improvements at a lower hardware cost. I don't fly that sim, so I cannot confirm it. However we do know that DCS has a great potential if they could optimize the game engine.

I fly in VR and community generated shaders has greatly improved my performance and experience. Based on that there is proof that ED could do a lot to improve things... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavedick said:

I read an article about updated graphics for another commercial simulator. There they said that the graphics would give great visual improvements at a lower hardware cost. I don't fly that sim, so I cannot confirm it. However we do know that DCS has a great potential if they could optimize the game engine.

I fly in VR and community generated shaders has greatly improved my performance and experience. Based on that there is proof that ED could do a lot to improve things... 

What shaders are you using? I am curious to try it out in VR as well. I have been using the universal shader mod that improves detail mostly but no increase in FPS at all.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

9 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

What shaders are you using? I am curious to try it out in VR as well. I have been using the universal shader mod that improves detail mostly but no increase in FPS at all.

I use Kegetys shaders. I fly mainly in Caucasus for the record. Works great there. Head over to the VR sub forum and you will find them. There are other versions and shaders as well you can try from other users. 

Tried Marianas again last night with Flat shadows , then off, then followed Spudknockers tutorial for frame rates.   Still getting anywhere from 9-19 FPS in Marianas, but annoyingly even Caucasus has tanked in 2.7, now get about 20-25 FPS when I was routinely getting 45-60 FPS for the past 2 years.  I'm a TrackIR user, no VR.   

Can't stand the ridiculous hit to FPS so I just bought an MSI i9 10900K with 64GB RAM, GeForce 3080 GPU, and 2TB M2 SSD.  Crossing my fingers this makes DCS fun again.  If DCS looks like crap with this, I'm giving the computer to my 8 year old and I'm just gonna fly RC planes.   

• Like 1

As I mostly fly VR I thought I would try the map in 2D mode with everything on max except shadows which were set to flat, my settings are in the picture. I did this as its been touted this new EDGE engine needs high end hardware which I consider myself to have.

System rig

3090 no overclock
64 gig DDR4
i9 10850K with small over clock to 4800mhz

Flight was F16 free flight and also a custom flight with an F18 at sunrise.

Settings.JPG

FPS counters blown up as they were very small

F16 Day

F16 Day FPS.JPG
F18 Sunrise

F18 sunrise FPS.JPG

F18 Sunrise.png

F16 Day.png

It looked fantastic but I still consider the FPS to be very low for such high end hardware with how the map looks, it reminds me very much of a map from ARMA 3 like Tanoa

Edited by Hotdognz

1 hour ago, Heimz said:

Tried Marianas again last night with Flat shadows , then off, then followed Spudknockers tutorial for frame rates.   Still getting anywhere from 9-19 FPS in Marianas, but annoyingly even Caucasus has tanked in 2.7, now get about 20-25 FPS when I was routinely getting 45-60 FPS for the past 2 years.  I'm a TrackIR user, no VR.   

Can't stand the ridiculous hit to FPS so I just bought an MSI i9 10900K with 64GB RAM, GeForce 3080 GPU, and 2TB M2 SSD.  Crossing my fingers this makes DCS fun again.  If DCS looks like crap with this, I'm giving the computer to my 8 year old and I'm just gonna fly RC planes.   

That will run it all fine in 2D mode the Marianas map though with still be around 40 with max detail, see my post above.

I’ll report something completely different. I have the smoothest performance on Mariana’s. Even loaded up Andersen with +60 statics, and +30 AI aircraft all departing at the same time, base defences, etc. Ran a Pearl Harbour type test with +1000 units on a server. Server ran it better than PG or Syria, and not a dip client side. Smoothest performance I have ever seen flying off the supercarrier. Settings at max, except no SSAA. I don’t run VR. Watch it here.

Tacview is a performance hog if you have it running. I also found DCS to like Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency Setting set to Ultra. Doubled my frame rate.

Edited by MeatServo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATPL - B737 - Class I Instructor Rating - Seaplane