I exceed recommended hardware posted in FAQ - is it my fault that I get low FPS then?

Gierasimov

Yeah thanks a lot for the free map.

But in current state is unusable.

I am on the minimum specs, that is true, but you really don´t want people getting their first impression on LOW settings on that map...

I have almost every module and HOTAS, hardware etc.. so I am Hooked and i Will get a better PC.. but some one new, would just dismiss it in a heartbeat...

And some less committed people might give it up...

Something to think about 😉

Edited by Baco

16 hours ago, MeatServo said:

[...] I also found DCS to like Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency Setting set to Ultra. Doubled my frame rate.

Do AMD drivers have a similar setting? Because my fps have bombed hard on the Marianas map... I could stand a doubling of the frame rate there, if not tripling or quadrupling. I have a Vega 64 which is still listed as recommended even for VR (Vega 56 for high settings) and, well, not getting there...

Edited by ams999
added quote

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

4 hours ago, ams999 said:

Do AMD drivers have a similar setting?

Yes, and I'm pretty sure AMD was even first with implementing such a setting, and that nVidia's version was a reaction to it. Not that that really matters.
It's called Radeon Anti-lag and is enabled by default.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, ams999 said:

Do AMD drivers have a similar setting? Because my fps have bombed hard on the Marianas map... I could stand a doubling of the frame rate there, if not tripling or quadrupling. I have a Vega 64 which is still listed as recommended even for VR (Vega 56 for high settings) and, well, not getting there...

Coming from a Vega64 (together with an i7 6700k@4.5 GHz and 64GB RAM) and have recently ‘upgraded ‘ to a 5700XT (running in a new PC base system with an i7 11700k@5.1 GHz and 32Gb RAM) and it doesn't seem that the AMD graphics cards and/or their drivers are really of use for DCS to get any decent performance with even medium settings - and no, I don't think AMD drivers have similar settings plus I got to the conclusion that especially VR doesn't play a big part in AMDs strategy for drivers and graphics hardware development.  

And the Marianas map plus the respective open beta update made it a lot worse for me FPS wise. I even had to kill my savegames folder and let DCS make a new one to get rid of a severe stuttering effect while flying with constant (low 20) FPS in VR (and just a RiftS) over the new map. In 2D its a bit better, but I get the feeling that it still produces some kind of laggy inputs especially when using opentrack with an IR tracking device that keeps me from a smooth flying experience.

So I think the recent updates plus the Marianas map made using DCS together with AMD graphics a lot worse again and I have to start from the scratch to get back to settings for a decent performance and look. And I don't have much hope for an upcoming Vulkan release (with no clue if and when it will come at all) in the near future, that may improve performance with AMD stuff.

For now I will wait and just can hope for GPU prices to settle a good amount more down to make the switch (back) to an actual NVIDIA graphics card.

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

On 7/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, Mavedick said:

Based on that there is proof that ED could do a lot to improve things...

Sure, but we also have Vulkan around the corner, and it makes perfect sense for ED to not waste resources on writing new shaders for an API that's about to be phased out anyway.
We'll get new shaders with Vulkan anyway...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

1 minute ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Yes, and I'm pretty sure AMD was even first with implementing such a setting, and that nVidia's version was a reaction to it. Not that that really matters.
It's called Radeon Anti-lag and is enabled by default.

If that is the similar function to Nvidia's Ultra Low Latency Setting than it doesn't help much with DCS, because I have it set (as you mentioned by default) and never changed it in my global profile, but it seems to do not much if at all at least in DCS...

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

Marianas has joined the channel map as a no go area for me.

I am a VR Sim pilot so not really a surprise, I look forward to both maps in the future.

Syria map will feed me in the interim. 🙂

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I also fly mostly in VR but just as the channel map the Marianna's map is not usable for me. While the northern islands is mostly okay-ish flying in a Hornet in low altitude around the Internation Airport in central Guam drops the frames massively. Even if I turn on active pause and put the headset down to keep the viewport steady, the frame rate will still be very unstable between and jump between 40 and 47 fps ... that is with trees visibility, detail, etc on minimum which is not needed on the Syria map. It's a bit of a bummer, I have an overclocked RTX 2080 Ti and run it with an old Oculus CV1, PD at 0.5 and OTT SS 1.4 ... which is perfectly fine in Syria, but on Mariannas the fps are not stable enough to stay above 45. And it's the GPU not finishing up in time, the CPU itself is well below 20 ms frame time.

It would actually be really helpful to see a graph in the fps counter screen showing the differences between GPU and CPU times.

Edit: I just noticed that setting the VR prerendered frames up to 4 (from 1) in the NVIDIA control panel comes with quite a bit of a performance boost. Sitting in a cockpit I do not really feel much of a latency difference.

Edited by yogiklatt

I also have exceeded recommended hardware and on:

Ryzen 9 5900X 4,9GHz

32GB RAM DDR4 3600Mhz CL14
GTX1080 Ti 
Samsung 980 NVME SSD

I got only 40FPS over Guam. On 2560x1440, with flat shadows, 2x MSAA... not so high settings
I always play with track IR, so 60FPS Vsync is  must for me. Every drop goes down to 30FPS and head tracking is unusable

Edited by TheTaker
  • Like 1

Just flew around the map for the first time.  Currently unusable...

FPS drops to the 30's when flying over Guam.

On every other map in any kind of situation, my FPS is locked at 60 and never dips below that.

It's a free map so I can't really complain, but I have been really looking forward to it.

My hardware exceeds what is recommended for High settings...and I have some things turned down, such as shadows.  Also running at 1080p.

Edited by Donut

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

26 minutes ago, Donut said:

Just flew around the map for the first time.  Currently unusable...

FPS drops to the 30's when flying over Guam.

On every other map in any kind of situation, my FPS is locked at 60 and never dips below that.

It's a free map so I can't really complain, but I have been really looking forward to it.

My hardware exceeds what is recommended for High settings...and I have some things turned down, such as shadows.  Also running at 1080p.

You either have a certain bottle neck somewhere, or some other issue.

My friend had like 20 FPS at the beginning (we were in multiplayer) and after some basic trouble shooting and rechecking the settings he was back well in the 40s.

I have less Frames in Marianas, but only like 10-15% compared to other maps (currently around 70 in the hind with clouds).

The trouble-shooting steps we took were:

- delete the metashaders

- make sure, you're in fullscreen

- ground shadows to flat

- perhaps tune down the viewing distance one step, it isn't that notable in marianas

- mirrors take a huge toll (depending on the aircraft), decide if you need them....

- recheck your NVCP settings if neccessary.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

i also have bad fps too. almost half of Caucasus map with same settings.

but some players may be happy with 30 fps and say it is good and smooth. but some like me won't be happy with anything below 100 fps.

problem is not from user system but from game developers. all maps became too dense and it is not clear which part of them is reducing fps.

now by changing settings form high to low, we just make the game ugly while there are no huge performance boost after.

Edited by Alireza.kh

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

You either have a certain bottle neck somewhere, or some other issue.

My friend had like 20 FPS at the beginning (we were in multiplayer) and after some basic trouble shooting and rechecking the settings he was back well in the 40s.

I have less Frames in Marianas, but only like 10-15% compared to other maps (currently around 70 in the hind with clouds).

The trouble-shooting steps we took were:

- delete the metashaders

- make sure, you're in fullscreen

- ground shadows to flat

- perhaps tune down the viewing distance one step, it isn't that notable in marianas

- mirrors take a huge toll (depending on the aircraft), decide if you need them....

- recheck your NVCP settings if neccessary.

Thank you for the tips.

I deleted the fxo and metashader folders with no improvement...checked everything else too.

There is definitely an issue with this map.

I can fly the Hornet and Tomcat on Nevada, Persian Gulf, and Caucasus without issue...never drops below my locked 60 FPS.

Try to the nvcp fast v-sync mode.

V-sync will drop to 30 even if your rig can reach 58. 

If you have the possibility, use g-sync instead.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Man, just tried the map for the first time today. The performance is ABYSMAL. I was hoping that the new edge tech (and a mostly water map) would make this the smoothest map for me. It is by far the worst. I'm at 20 fps on the tarmac/taxiing with me as the only unit on the map. I cannot exceed 30 fps at altitude with clouds. FYI-I don't use Tacview.

image.png

• Like 3

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

17 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Try to the nvcp fast v-sync mode.

V-sync will drop to 30 even if your rig can reach 58. 

If you have the possibility, use g-sync instead.

Thank you again for the tips.

However, the problem is that I don't want to accept the low FPS on the Marianas map...I want it to perform like every other map in DCS has for me.  

I can go fly right now on any other map...with a mission, AI units, etc., and have no performance issues.  I load up an empty Marianas map and it is a slide show...

Ok, as you wish….

There are always two possible approaches.

I prefer the other one.

Runs great for me on my G2....1080ti...no shaders.....60hz set for Windows VR....occasional drops to 45ish.....when I really wring it out low level....probably be worse with lotsa playas...good job on map, looks nice

I tried various tips here but so far no good results. 

I am using HIGH preset in options in 4K (UHD) resolution, mirrors enabled, shadows default. 

Marianas - Guam - averages at 40 FPS

Syria - Damascus - averages at 60 FPS

When I switch to 1440p (QHD) the same track replays give 60 FPS for Marianas and 98 FPS for Syria.

I don't want to tune down settings other than resolution, that's fine, but in 1440p over Guam it can get as low as 31 FPS with just flying without any other ACTIVE units or smoke / fire.

I remember Channel was similar initially so I hope ED has got some aces up their sleeves.

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I have no problem with Syria or the Channel map but Marianas seems to have issues.  I’m getting 30 FPS most of the time but will see sudden drops below 10 FPS with something choking my 3080 (GPU at 100%).  After a minute or two the frame rate will pop back up to the low 30s.

I’m setting it aside until it gets updates.  Marianas is not playable in its current state but this seems like the kind of thing ED will address eventually.  Or eventually I’ll have an RTX 5080 and i13 cpu.

• Like 2

ORIGINAL:  8088 4.77 Mhz  |  640kb RAM UPGRADE  |  TANDY 16-COLOR VIDEO  |  DUAL 5.25" FLOPPY DRIVES  |  13" VGA MONITOR  |  TANDY DELUXE JOYSTICK

CURRENT:  i5-12600k @ 5.0 Ghz  |  32GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz  |  NVIDIA RTX 4090  |  3TB NVMe M.2 DRIVES  |  Pimax 8KX |  X56 RHINO HOTAS  |  VKB T-RUDDER Mk.IV  |  SIMSHAKER  |  VOICEATTACK w/VIACOM Pro

Never done this before... but I dropped all of my graphics settings to "low" and I'm still only getting 30-32 FPS over land in this map.... and it looks like garbage with all settings on "low." Vulkan, come to us, we need you. 🙂

Oh, well... back to PG, Caucasus, Syria, and NTTR. 

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 3

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display