I exceed recommended hardware posted in FAQ - is it my fault that I get low FPS then?

Gierasimov

16 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I think that you've answered my point, i.e. that you didn't wind down your settings.

Maybe ED included the setting "configuration" options for a reason...

Why wind down your settings ? 

It seems that the Marianas map has got the very same problem that the channel map had when it was firstly released. 

Needles to say, Caucasus, Normandy, Channel, Nevada and Persian Gulf all run perfectly smooth at 4K 60 FPS whit the very same settings, with any plane..... Latest stable version....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

29 minutes ago, ac5 said:

Why wind down your settings ? 

It seems that the Marianas map has got the very same problem that the channel map had when it was firstly released. 

Needles to say, Caucasus, Normandy, Channel, Nevada and Persian Gulf all run perfectly smooth at 4K 60 FPS whit the very same settings, with any plane..... Latest stable version....

??

bizarre quesrion.

I wound down settings so that I could fly on the map. Surely that’s preferable to taking up 15GB of disk space for something that’s not usable?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

23 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

??

bizarre quesrion.

I wound down settings so that I could fly on the map. Surely that’s preferable to taking up 15GB of disk space for something that’s not usable?

Bizarre question? Why would I wind down my settings, when ALL the other maps I own, without exception, Caucasus, Normandy, Channel, Nevada and Persian Gulf all run perfectly smooth at 4K 60 FPS whit the very same settings, with any plane? I don't even slightly feel those 15 GB having a 4 TB SSD....

• Like 6

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

20 minutes ago, ac5 said:

Bizarre question? Why would I wind down my settings, when ALL the other maps I own, without exception, Caucasus, Normandy, Channel, Nevada and Persian Gulf all run perfectly smooth at 4K 60 FPS whit the very same settings, with any plane? I don't even slightly feel those 15 GB having a 4 TB SSD....

I thought that I'd already answered your question, i.e. such that you could fly on the map?

It's really not a massive job to create and save another video settings profile.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

I thought that I'd already answered your question, i.e. such that you could fly on the map?

It's really not a massive job to create and save another video settings profile.

Again... Why should I do that? There is OBVIOUSLY something wrong with the Marianas map, as it was the case of the Channel map in the beginning, which has to be corrected.

Otherwise why in this earth ALL the other maps I own, without exception, Caucasus, Normandy, Channel, Nevada and Persian Gulf all run perfectly smooth at 4K 60 FPS whit the very same settings, with any plane? 

• Like 1

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Ok, don’t fly on the map, no skin off my nose.

• Like 1

Wether we agree to fly this map or not is a different subject. And after reading last posts, not a particularly interesting one IMO.

What's occuring to everyone atm  there is definitely something technically wrong in the Mariannas. Such a small map and terrain should not put high end hardware to its knee when way larger map like Syria or Persian Gulf are running fine. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, pixie said:

Wether we agree to fly this map or not is a different subject. And after reading last posts, not a particularly interesting one IMO.

What's occuring to everyone atm  there is definitely something technically wrong in the Mariannas. Such a small map and terrain should not put high end hardware to its knee when way larger map like Syria or Persian Gulf are running fine. 

pixie, I completely agree. Could not have formulated it better myself. Well, there you have it, Mr_sukebe....... 

• Like 4

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 2 weeks later...

@Mr_sukebewhat is your definition of acceptable, and can you share your settings?  I have yet to find an acceptable (to me in terms of frame times, and visual quality) in vr settings that enables me to use the Marianas in VR… my hardware is way over the minimum spec…so far over it I can’t upgrade to anything more… that would make any difference.

I think if some settings change didn’t require a game reload or were CO find to the map, e.g. I could have settings for a map that are automatically applied, then it would be a less irritating pill to have to change settings, but it would still be bitter… 

I know the map is free, actually that makes it worse, I do appreciate the free map… but as I can’t use it… it is academically free… and is just a source of frustration… I have no doubt it will improve in time.

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

SOH>

I try to ensure that I'm getting at least 40fps with my Rift S.  To do that, means that on some maps (e.g. Cauc), I'm happily getting 80fps for a good deal of the time, as my settings are as they are to keep performance to at least a "reasonable" level, though I do appreciate that it impacts on outright visual quality.  

My system is a 9700, 64gb Ram, 3080ti and the fact that the Rift S is fairly low resolution when compared to say the G2 helps.

Within both the Steam and Oculus settings, I have their "homes" disabled, i.e. what you normally see on first putting on the headset and prior to loading DCS.  Each of those "homes" takes up a whole bunch of VRAM.

I do run Nvidia NIS (similar to AMD FSR).  To do that, I use the Skatezilla DCS app for starting in Steam mode.

PD is at 1.

Prior to the 3080ti, I had a 2070S, and basically used the same settings, but with MSAA off.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd create different settings for different maps, such that the Marianas and Channel had "easier" visual settings.  The point being that I've NOT argued that the map could do with some optimisation.  However, I'd very much argue that it CAN be used if you're happy to compromise on the visual settings until the map is updated, or we get Vulkan etc.

DCS settings:

DCS settings.JPG

Edited by Mr_sukebe
  • Thanks 1

i wonder if one of the issues is just sheer number of pixels  I'm trying to drive at 100% on the G2 compared to the rift-s

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It's unfortunate that Marianas was released in the state it was. In fact it is not only unfortunate, but should have been unacceptable. ED's reasoning is probably that since it's a free update, it doesn't need to pass the scrutiny that other paid mods do. Hopefully they are working on it behind the scenes to optimize it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe ED is betting on their upcoming multicore/Vulcan updates get rid of the issues, or at least diminish their impact. Who knows?

In any case the past few updates (apart from the first cloud update) to DCS World were all extremely performance intensive, without bringing much if any visual fidelity to the table. There are a lot of us with top of the line graphics cards who actually needed to drop their settings so they could maintain frame rates. That should not be happening. Full. Stop. 

• Like 4

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Keep your hopes up, as mentioned, it was exactly the same the case in the Channel map in the beginning,

and this was corrected, albeit after a very long time.

And yes, I agree, either make a free update properly, or not make it at all, or ask money for it.

• Like 2

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I would have preferred 100 times that he asks for $ 10 but that we have a playable card ....

a campaign with the Huey, I was so happy but what's the use of taking it it's unplayable: /

What is the point of giving away a map if it is unplayable

There are things that I will never be able to understand in ED, it is masochism, they like to hear moaning and yelling it is not possible lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kaneda06 said:

I would have preferred 100 times that he asks for $ 10 but that we have a playable card ....

a campaign with the Huey, I was so happy but what's the use of taking it it's unplayable: /

What is the point of giving away a map if it is unplayable

There are things that I will never be able to understand in ED, it is masochism, they like to hear moaning and yelling it is not possible lol

Could not agree more. Very well put.

• Like 2

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

After the last Stable update 2.7.9.18080, the Marianas map still stutter very much.

All the other maps Caucasus, Normandy, Channel, Nevada and Persian Gulf

run perfectly smooth at 4K 60 FPS whit the very same settings, with any plane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

• 2 months later...

DCS Forums Users,

This is my very first post here.  After some exhaustive troubleshooting with the DCS Support Team, I am still having a major issue with the Marianas map...  Simply said, this map does not work for me for one reason or another.  FYI, I can indeed run any of the DCS aircraft I own or any Mod aircraft in either the Caucasus, Channel or Nevada map I already own.  However, I simply cannot run anything at all in the Marianas map !!!

My System: latest Windows 11 on an Intel NUC8i7HVK running through an OWC eGPU with Radeon Vega 64 GPU.  All is working flawlessly in Caucasus, Channel or Nevada at 4K resolution on DCS high settings with 50 to 65 FPS average.  With the Marianas map, I can get to any aircraft cockpit but as soon I click the "fly" button of any one of the aircraft, then DCS always crashes automatically...

Has anyone here encountered a similar issue and/or have recommendation to help me isolate the root cause of this weird problem.  Many thanks.

Stephane

18 minutes ago, SlipperySum7845 said:

With the Marianas map, I can get to any aircraft cockpit but as soon I click the "fly" button of any one of the aircraft, then DCS always crashes automatically...

Has anyone here encountered a similar issue and/or have recommendation to help me isolate the root cause of this weird problem. 

You mean like this?

Try if it works in multiplayer. I don't have a solution for it, I just use Marianas always in multiplayer now. If that works for you then at least I'm not alone with this problem anymore hahaha

• Like 1

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

1 hour ago, ams999 said:

You mean like this?

Try if it works in multiplayer. I don't have a solution for it, I just use Marianas always in multiplayer now. If that works for you then at least I'm not alone with this problem anymore hahaha

Got it, thank you very much for your reply !!  Will try this out and report back accordingly.

Cheers for now,

Stephane

19 hours ago, ams999 said:

You mean like this?

Well, I just tried running the Marianas map in multiplayer mode as you recommended and guess what ???  It simply works now !!!

Have been there for the last hour averaging 60 FPS at 4K resolution with absolutely no issues whatsoever.  I'm speechless.

Bottom line: You are no longer alone with this problem anymore.  🙂

Many thanks for the tip, this is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephane